RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bdclimber

Jan 6, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #1 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im looking to by new shoes got any sugestions?

realization

Jan 6, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #2 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you buy shoes, ask yourself two questions...what type of climber are you? And what type of climbing will you be doing. Higher levels of climbing demand a higher level of shoe, and different types of climbing, i.e sport, trad, crack, indoor also require different types of shoes... be more specific and i'm sure we can get you some good sugestions.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 6, 2004, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 6, 2004, 2:09 AM
Post #4 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And also, doing a forum search will give you more answers than you could ever read. ;)

barefooter

Jan 6, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #5 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad Rock Flash's

They're cheap, comfortable and the rubber is super sticky

I don't like the other Mad Rocks that have the ridge that runs around the front of the sole

pacemaker

Jan 6, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #6 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like my Katanas for short stuff. Stiff enough to edge, but soft enough to feel the rock. I mostly climb at Crowder's, Rumbling Bald, and Table Rock.

I also have a pair of Cliffs from La Sportiva, which I now use as my indoor shoes and when I plan to wear them for 2 hours plus. They pretty much "inhale sharply". I wish I had bought something from Scarpa instead of being talked into the Cliffs, but because I was a beginner the sales dude recommended them. I have worn some friends and I think that Scarpa is good at combining comfort with performance and I believe they are good at making all-around shoes.

Every pair of 5.10's I have tried on have had funny feeling places where the rand meets for some reason and I know of at least one friend of mine who bought a pair labeled as 43's and one is definitely shorter than the other.

I have yet to try on the Mad Rock shoes. They look interesting. I'm interested to see what others have to say as my wife is actively looking for a new pair of rock shoes currently.

Later!

realization

Jan 6, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #7 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard very good things from a company called Evolve - they seem to be a pretty recent company, though many climbers seem to be switching over to their shoes very rapidly. Give'um a try www.evolvesports.com

lollipopchic

Jan 6, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #8 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And also, doing a forum search will give you more answers than you could ever read. ;)

Actually the forum search isn't working that well lately. Recently I was trying to find threads on the anasazi southwests and it came up with nothing! If you search for "shoes" in the gearhead forum, it only comes up with 41 matches... not many considering how many threads on shoes there are out there!

overlord

Jan 6, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #9 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

since you dont know what exactly you want, im gonna suggest some allaround stars:

5.10 anasazi line (mesa is a little stiffer, so if you dont need smearing, but strong edging, its your best bet), zlipper

mad rock flash, mugen, frenzy

la sportiva miura, katana, mythos

okc_discgolfer

Jan 6, 2004, 2:04 PM
Post #10 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think IMHO the best way to decide on a brand / style of shoe is to go the the store where they are sold. Try them on ....don't even bother with the brand name.
simply buy what is most comfortable/aggressive
i went to buy shes and DID NOT want madrock...but to my suprise they were the best fit and comfort level for the fit
i was planning on spending over 125$ just for my shoes.....i ended up spending 114$ and that was for shoes webbing and acc. cord
YES.... i know madrock will wear out quicker than most shoes...but JEEZZ at 70$ a pop what do you expect
p.s. personally i don't like the dual rubber on the "newer" madrocks cause you cant smear as well on the entire sole due to the harder rubber around the edge

richeyks

Jan 6, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #11 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got my mad rock flashes so i recommend them... the ridged heeel makes it great for heel hooks to... i do suggest getting them no more than 1/2 size at the most smaller, i got mine at my street shoe size and i'm having a painful breakin period, but the shoes are great

outdoorclimber

Jan 6, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #12 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with realization. You need to know what type of climbing, and where. For instance, my first pair of shoes were terrible for the type of climbing I was doing (sport) but when i get them into cracks, my feet are loving 'em.

In my opinion, best beginner shoe is 5.10 mocasym

casco

Jan 9, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #13 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you`re a beginner, i´d suggest to try super-cheap brands, like the very known mad rock shoe, or maybe the mexican brands, like the Acopa Tezca. the Acopa is not so good allaround, it´s just a precise, not-so-sticky, and kinda soft climbing shoe, was my pair for my first climbing year, today I bought the anasazi southwest shoe, I`ll be sure to post about them just as soon as i have an opinion, well, take care...

oklimber

Jan 9, 2004, 1:11 AM
Post #14 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got a pair of madrock mugens for x mas i love them

realization

Jan 9, 2004, 1:46 AM
Post #15 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree... I don't think you could really go wrong with 5.10 Moccasyms.. Great OVERALL shoe, I know several climbers who climb hard stuff in them too, won't wear fast, C4 rubber and you can climb just about anything in them comfortably, and at 99 bucks what do you have to lose?

monkeyface1982

Jan 9, 2004, 1:00 PM
Post #16 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my suggestion to all beginners looking for a first pair of shoes, find out what style of climbing you want, trad, sport etc etc etc...then look in mags and see what every one else is useing , ask around in a gym if you go,
but for me, i wish i had brought a good advanced shoe straight off the bat, i suffered for a long time in my first pair cause i didnt realise that they wernt right for my climbing style (no thanks to my local gym)
so i say, look around, see what every one else is got on, try everything you can on and note what feels good for you,
(trust me , most climbers are so lucky that they can try any pair of shoes on, i have the issues of them not making any good advanced shoes in 13US, 12Aust.47 Euro)
so try everything on,
make a desision on what style you want to climb,
and get what feels comfortable,
good luck!

Partner drrock

Jan 9, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #17 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which shoe you choose doesn't matter as much as if they fit or not. Try them on. A lot of gyms that sell shoes will let you climb for an hour or two in them prior to shelling out the bucks. They will hurt for a while, but they stretch.

oudinardin

Jan 11, 2004, 4:52 PM
Post #18 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I peed in your shoes.

overlord

Jan 11, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #19 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

criteria for choosing shoes:

1. fit
2. rubber
3. prize

freeclimberchris

Jan 12, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #20 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get Mad Rock. They suck. After a few months they will be wearing down. katana by la sportiva or the five ten anasazi lace ups are good.

Partner coylec

Jan 12, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #21 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got two pair: a pair from Reebok (yes, they make climbing shoes) and a pair of la sportivas. The Reeboks are decent, though I haven't gotten much wear from them -- they are a little small for my feet, though they fit great when the temperature is below 60. Their sizes run large: I wear a 43.5/44 in Sportiva and my size 45 reeboks are tighter - they feel like Sportiva's 43s.

I love my Sportiva shoes. The Mantra S is great - its completely synthetic, so you don't have to worry about leather allegeries or breakdown. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, I'd look into shoes made with lorica. The only problem with it is that it tends to pick up other colors from the rock and paint (if you're on an indoor painted surface).

Other posts have it right - figure out what you want to spend, what you want to climb, rubber type and how the shoes fit. Get them a bit small, because they will expand, but if you can't get your foot in, its too tight. Check with your local outfitters - many rent climbing shoes. If they have the brand you are interested in, you can get a feel for their sizing system. If they have the model you want, you can get a demo of a broken-in shoe. You can also tell how well they handle under the rigors of a rental shoe. Keep in mind that rentals are the worst maintained shoes out there, but if its a 03 model shoe that is coming apart at the seams, you may want to consider another shoe. If its a 97 model shoe that has no color or grip, but the seams are great and its in good shape, you might have a winner.

oudinardin

Jan 18, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #22 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oudinardin moved this from Gear Heads to Shoe Noobs.

andyw

Jan 22, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #23 of 23 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boreal
Are a good brand they have lasted me 3 years and a few of my other freinds have the same brand but different styles so they are quite good.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook