RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

madriver

Mar 12, 2002, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Jr. Comp Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am intersested in finding out about ABS, JCCA compititions in different areas. I have been to several in the Mid-Atlantic area and have found a huge diffence in the way they are run. I have kids who compete and usually enjoy it. However, it seams like some gyms go out of there way to make them kid friendly and some are downright nasty! I'm fairly new to climbing, but it is becoming apparent that maybe the climbing public really dosen't want the kids around. I can see both sides of the issue but am really interested about how kids in general are looked upon in your area?

Thanks,

Mad River

madriver

Mar 14, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Jr. Comp Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I'm getting such a huge response to this mindless blather, let me re-phrase this. What do you think of kid gymrats or kids climbing in general. It appears to me that the "climbing community" is made up of mostly twenty somethings with no kids. I get the feeling that kids are basically an annoyance and in the way. Looking for feedback?

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: madriver on 2002-03-14 11:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: madriver on 2002-03-14 11:36 ]

sarhawp

Mar 14, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally love to have young people of all ages climbing around me. However, children who are not taught correctly can be dangerous to those climbing near them. This, of course, is not exclusive to children. There are many adults of all ages climbing irresponsibly who have caused accidents. As long as a child is taught the rights and wrongs of climbing safety and climbing etiqutte....I see no problem.

vaness

Mar 14, 2002, 8:47 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

only somekids are annoying. Like the ones that go to the gym for a birthday part and run around playing tag and screaming. but the kids who are really climbing cuz they like it arent immature or annoying. I know a few kids who are 9 or 10 who arent annoying or loud at all. they climb cuz they like it. there acctully really good too.

vanessA

fireclimber

Mar 14, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vanessa is so right only B day kids are a pain in the ass. some kids can crank and when they get to be 16-17 the can flash 11's and 12;s no problem.

maddie

Mar 16, 2002, 1:30 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we have heaps of kids on jr training night and we get along fine wif each other and the older climbers!

orestes1724

Apr 10, 2002, 3:56 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some kids are a pain in the ass, like the ones that jump in fromt of you right as your about to stick the route you have been trying to get for a long time. but some of them are really good. i think the only annoying ones are the ones that dont really care if they are climbing.

roclymber

Apr 18, 2002, 1:55 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate climbing with kids. It's even more relevant coming from me, since I too am a kid (16). Im not a newbie, and neither are these other kids. But that act so f*&%$in arrogant. Like theyre all high and mighty. rumor has it that a certain rock star, tori allen acts the same way. I will NEVER climb with someone my own age or up to about 19, cuz most of them act so stupid, and then they whine when the get pwned (yes, pwned ) at about 20, they start maturing. just a word from the wise. trust me, i dont act this way, in fact im more on the shy side. so...anyways...who wants to go climb?

~matt

[ This Message was edited by: roclymber on 2002-04-18 06:56 ]

arctidog

May 1, 2002, 10:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, I am 14 and a brand new member of rockclimbing.com. Anyway, I think the juniors that become annoying are the ones that don't care about becomeing great climbers. I do think junior climbers get a bad rap though, I often see people in the gym look at me in such a way that I can just tell that they are looking down upon me. Then, they fall on a route, I give them 2 or 3 pieces of advise, and they send it. All of a sudden they're best buddies with me. This discussion really won't get answered, some kids are much more mature than others, there's no denying that, so don't look at kids as kids, just look at them as small people. And if they are annoying, well, let's just say I know a good share of annoying adults .

My Website (soon to be revised)

[ This Message was edited by: arctidog on 2002-05-01 15:44 ]

tigerseye

May 30, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i to am 14 and find that a lot of kids are nice and are generally good climbers... i think the kinds of kids that you guys are talking about being pains in the @$$'s would be the overly cocky gung ho sortof kids that everyone hates in every sport...but dont forget you adults can be just as cocky and arrogant

GO KIDS!!!! (except for the "jocks" who all the not popular kids hate)
heh heh

fingerjam

May 30, 2002, 1:37 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree about the birthday parties. There annoing, even though when i was lil i had one But im a hipocrit. Kids in the gym are fine with me, just as long as there not screwin around. Im 14 and I didnt feel very welcome at my local gym, but one day there was some dude there bouldering. I wasnt screwing around, and he helped me out a lot, nice guy (whoever you are). I say, as long as there having fun safly, let em climb!

laterz

kriso9tails

May 30, 2002, 3:16 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In general I have no problems with kids (like 10 and under) who climb. They're usually very energetic, enthusiastic, and receptive to their environment. I do however have problem with the children who will not aknowledge you unless you refer to them as lil' Sharma (or something of the like). Hmmm... I wonder where they picked that up? Some of these kids throw the worst hissy fits when they lose, because everybody patronises them and falsely builds up their confidence and hopes into arrogance and outrageous expectation.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook