RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

kman

Mar 13, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #1 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Managed to squeeze in 1 last ice climbing day in Lilloet on Sunday. On the way back home I noticed Shannon Falls had somewhat frozen over. To bad it's warming up now though. Did my first ice lead. Good times.

What was your first lead on ice like?

graniteboy

Mar 13, 2002, 12:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first ice lead;
I held a wolly mammoth tusk in each hand, bare toes blueing in the sub zero pleistocene winter. A saber tooth cat screamed in the distance. I swung the left tusk, sinking it's stone-sharpened tip into the ice. Then the mother of the small mammoth I had butchered to make my ice tools appeared; I was in a state of utter terror.

But nowadays, the ice is all receding, the glaciers are disappearing, and nobody understands what it's like to walk across the bering land bridge...
Ice: Enjoy it while it's still around; The USGS just came out with a report about how the glaciers are melting much faster than we previously thought. And how greenland is getting greener and greener each year.

kevinwaldock

Mar 13, 2002, 12:58 PM
Post #3 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ha ha ha. i agree with graniteboy. we as humans have already destroyed the earth beyond repair, it makes me sick.
anyway i wanted to go on some ice this winter but it didn't really get cold enough to go close to toronto. maybe next year eh!
kevin

graniteboy

Mar 13, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #4 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey yankee;
It just so happens that I'm one of those bad guys who is getting a phD in the environmental sciences. Although this "pointy headed" status probably warrants a large degree of distrust in some people's eyes as to my "true motives", it would seem prudent at this juncture to recall that the dutch scientist who discovered oxygen was burned at the stake by lowbrow fanatics who didn't believe him.
Funny, without oxygen the combustion couldn't have happened...that's what happens sometimes, though...

It just so happens that all the satellite GIS (geographical information system) studies performed by scientists worldwide are showing that a) the polar caps are melting b) the amount of surface area covered by glaciers in the temperate zones is decreasing
and c) the greenland icecap is rapidly decreasing.
These studies are done by mapping the extent of surface area covered by glaciers from satellite maps. The science is extremely exact. There are no possible misinterpretations. Unless, of course, ALL the global information scientists from all countries are conspiring against you personally, which is possible, but highly unlikely, at least from a statistical perspective....

As for your assertion that "these reports
are brought to you by the same people that were also predicting a very severe winter in some parts of the country this year and can't even get the weekly forcast correct?"
You seem to be unaware of the fact that the USGS (U.S. Geological survey) is in the habit of studying geologic and geographic information. The agency You want to vent on is actually called the "national weather service".
Furthermore, the solar "burnout" theory you espouse may in fact cause some climate changes, but not in the next 10 million years or so....maybe not in the next billion...

In short, global climate change is a) real and b) human induced. Even dubya is being forced to (grudgingly) admit this, in spite of his continued zeal to drill all oil anywhere so we can burn it faster.

If you have any other questions regarding the natural sciences, please feel free to start an "ask graniteboy" column. I am always happy to stand up for the truth in the face of lowbrow fanatics.

[ This Message was edited by: graniteboy on 2002-03-13 20:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: graniteboy on 2002-03-13 20:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: graniteboy on 2002-03-13 20:28 ]

darkside

Mar 13, 2002, 9:24 PM
Post #5 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So erm... Granite, IYHO should I resharpen my picks for next year, or like are we exempt from the global warming thing up here in the land of ice eh? 'Coz like I here the ice is still in and phat in Tbay!!!!
Plus the ramifications of all the houses..erm igloos, melting would mean like 30 million homeless.

maculated

Mar 14, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #6 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So what do you think about the theory that we might be wrong about the whole greenhouse effect, and the earth is just experiencing its usual weather cycles (Ice age, etc)?

It's kind of hard to determine, IMO, all this technology is so new, and the rating is assuming that all climatic states are at stasis, if I'm not mistaken, which I could be. Mind blowing, if you ask me.

Did you read the article about Mars warming periodically and having running water? Interesting.

Partner polarwid

Mar 15, 2002, 1:28 PM
Post #7 of 7 (597 views)
Shortcut

Yahooo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a PhD in anything, but the reason the glaciers in Alaska are growing is because of the melting of the surface, the water flows into crevasses and holes to the base of the ice, which then lubricates the surface on which it is sitting, causing surges and increased ice flow. Several glaciers in the Alaska Range have moved over 40 feet in ONE DAY. The increasing size (length) is being sacrificed for decreased ice thickness (depth). For the first time in Inuit history, they were unable to hunt on the polar ice cap because it did not freeze close enough to shore for them to canoe or kayak out to and safely return. The prediction is that the Beaufort Sea may be open to deep water travel year round in the next five years. This being the farthest north point on the Northwest Passage it may make it possible for year round travel over the Pole. Of course our military will have a whole new ocean to patrol, so our taxes will probably go up too!

Just my $0.02 worth...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook