RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

jacob

Jan 9, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

bought a slackline... so now what?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just bought the delux slackline from slacklineexpress.com, and I can't wait for it to come in! But while I do wait, are ther any training techniques I can do w/ out a line in order to develope skills nessecary to slack it up when the kit does come in? Are there any unwritten rules that I need to know about, or does anyone wanna give me some pointers? Anyway, I hope I have as much fun slackin' as I do climbin'.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 9, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Re: bought a slackline... so now what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jacob,

Slacklining is pretty much free style so the only real things to follow are don't do anything that will get yourself or others hurt (or do anything irresponsible that looks bad on all slackers).

Without a line, it'd be hard to really think of anything that works on slacklining skills other than a slackline. Maybe practice walking a straight line on tip toes as high as you can or anything else that works on your general balance and weight transfer (like climbing without using much power).

Other than that, heres a couple things to help get you started once you get the kit:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47963

I have some of my site that I really need to reorganize into something more coherant. www.slacklineexpress.com/tips.htm
(by the way, your kit comes with a photo manual with tips too - pictures can help.)

If you've never tried it before some of the most common things that will help: (these aren't hard rules at all, but maybe just a hint at what might work for you)

Start on a shorter line (say 20-25') and work your way up.
Some find a tighter line is easier to learn on, but really loose lines grow on you for the challenge and fun sways later on.

About everyone has a dominate foot, your starting foot may make a big difference in how well you can balance.

Just getting on the line can be a challenge at first, the height can make a big difference. Try different tightnesses and heights to find your exact prefference.

If you have the line tight enough mid thigh to crotch level is a good compromise between it being so low you'll bottom out, it being too tight or it being too hard to hop on.

Eyes say focused in front of you, don't look at your feet or the webbing, your brain will adjust for you.

Make sure your close to the line, standing on it with your thigh at an angle causes a sideways motion that you have to compensate for.

Standing up slowly makes the line shake like a mother, instead get one foot on the line with almost no pressure and hop up. You should land in a smooth dip instead of shaking side to side.

Until you get your balance, stay low, keep those knees bent and arms out to the side. That way you can keep as much weight low and spread to the sides as possible.

Have spotters if your really shaky.

Practice, practice practice.

chossmonkey

Jan 9, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen people smoke a giant bowl of weed to prep for it. Maybe it relaxes them?

cyan_man

Jan 10, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

::Looks up from pipe::

What?? I gotta go buy a slackline. :D

jacob

Jan 10, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest fear is either beaking a wrist(can't climb) or racking myself. When I see videos of slacklining it looks like a giant slingshot aimed right at the nuts. How would you go about falling, slackling to avoid this potentially dangerous/painfull/embarassing situation?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 10, 2004, 8:14 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it only snapps you hard if you have the line extremely tight and take a whipper. Otherwise, or at least in my experience, it sounds and looks scary but only comes up lightly. It may look like your going to break some important stuff but it doesn't actually have enough snap to it to do much.

My best tips for dismount:
When you feel like your coming off and don't have a choice but it isn't a wicked uncontrollable whipper just put one leg straight out to the side and step down. It's suprising how well that works and it even looks intentional.

If it's a fast and wicked fall, tuck everything in and don't try to catch yourself. Protect your melon as best you can. If your in grass just roll with the momentum.

For as much time on the line as I've been on it I'm suprised I've never got anything more than a couple bruises on my thighs from really tight lines - and I slack over concrete half the time. I think the trick is don't fall :)

Now highlining is a whole other story - when you've got protection that can snap you in the back of the head and such you can get hurt. I took a biner to the head once that I'm suprised I didn't need stitches for.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook