RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

keazah

Jan 16, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

New to slacklining
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm from Monterrey, Mexico and I've never really seen or heard of any slacklining around here but it would be awesome to try it out.

If anyone has ever been around here you would notice there are not that much appropriate trees where a slackline can be set up and there are no stores where we could buy a kit.

What would you guys recomend to someone (like me) that has barely seen pics but desperately wants to try it??

sojourner

Jan 16, 2004, 7:25 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Re: New to slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't need trees. run webbing around the hitch on a car and a lightpost if that's all you got. or two cars. be creative.
sojourner

climbingaz

Jan 16, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a guy on Ebay that sells a half way decent starter kit for around $30. He lists in the "sporting goods - rock climbing" category. As far as placement. I tie one end around the trailer hitch on my truck and the other around the beam in my garage. Works fine for me.

slackinfl

Jan 16, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #4 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would order about 60' of 1" tubular webbing and a few biners and set up a primitive system. The reason for 60' feet is that after you get better you can start setting up longer lines. You can find out how to set up a primitive system on slackline.com or on some of the threads on this site. I just bought some new webbing from snowleopard.biz. It was the best deal I found. Someone posted a thread about it a couple days ago. Thats were I got the info. Check out the thread, it has info about free shipping and promotional codes.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 16, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keazah:

I make some really simple kits for beginners that I sell off ebay (as climbingaz pointed out) and offer a variety of custom lines through my online shop. You can make one just like it with a bit of work and sewing but it'll cost you about the same as it does for us to ship you one or you can make your own primitive setup for a bit more.

Our intro kit probably the cheapest route for someone to get everything they need to get started and not spend so much they feel shafted if they don't stick with it, but still slack well and have everything you need.

If your pretty confident you'll stay with the sport then you have lots of good options:

Slackline Express www.slacklineexpress.com (my site)
Ethos kits www.ethosclimbing.com (I hope their site is back up)
Slackline Brothers www.slackline.com (a pulley setup)
Asana Packworks www.asanapackworks.com
Not For Climbing www.notforclimbing.com (just the lines, you supply the tightening system)
Make your own primitive out of webbing and biners (instructions are on this site and www.slackline.com)

Premade kits are usually much easier to setup and tighten and in some cases can be had for the same amount of money or less than making your own, but there is nothing at all wrong with making your own setup.

Look into the threads here on slacklines without trees - there are lots of solutions so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for getting started in the sport, I have some tips to help you figure it out that I've compiled on my site under information > getting started and there are some here too.

slackinfl

Jan 16, 2004, 8:07 PM
Post #6 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I have seen in other threads. I to am tired of people peddling there products here. ( primarily Slackline Joe). I would not recomend buying one of his products. If you do any reading on how to set up a system the ratchet system is not the way to go. I tried it to start with and did not like it. Do some reading on the web. Joes intro system is only 30ft and it is not even tubular webbing. You will get past that fast and want better. Do your own shopping and set up the primitive system for starters. Also read on slackline.com They have a good gear review on there for different products. There opinion of Joes products are similar to mine.

Sorry to slam ya Joe but I do get tired of reading you posts peddling your product.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 16, 2004, 8:19 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry to slam ya Joe but I do get tired of reading you posts peddling your product.

No problem. I only mentioned the premade kits (not just my stuff but everyones) because he mentioned not being able to find pre-made kits locally, otherwise I'd just have posted the stuff on making your own. I was simply trying to help someone find information, which is why I posted everyones links. Seriously, I didn't see that as a sales pitch - I'm not worried about trying to sell kits on here, just trying to help with information.

As for the intro kit, I'm sorry it didn't fit your needs. I've never gotten any other feedback than on how people liked it and thought it was a good deal. If it's still in good shape, ship it back and I'll refund the product price. I specifically mention the intro kit as a bare minimum setup - it's just that enough to slack on, even though I've improved it some in the last few weeks it's still really, really basic and isn't really represenative of our other gear. I think I mentioned just the other day it wasn't for anyone who took the sport seriously (most of the people in this forum).

tinytitan

Jan 16, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #8 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't looked at many of the other slackline posts, but got enough info from SlacklineJoe's post to get started - whether with his pre-built system or to build my own. Thanks man.

casco

Jan 24, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #9 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keazah, all you need is webbing, you can use your garage door to tighten it up ;) thatīs for the "be creative" part

climbingurlie

Jan 24, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #10 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really look around, it's amazing what all you can find to tie stuff to. I personally just bought on of slacklinejoe's intro slackline kits since I'm interested in starting. It's a good price, and if I don't care for the sport, I don't have to worry about the cost (it was a good deal.) I'm gonna set mine up in my back yard. One end to a tree, and one to an old swing-set. I've seen anything from weighted saw-horses to trucks. Hope you find a way that works.

razor

Feb 4, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #11 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey could any one fer me some advice on slacklining.... is it best to just start out slow or to work at it till you get... and does my anchor ofr that have to be huge....... thanks

slackinfl

Feb 4, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your anchor does not have to be huge. Just remember if it brakes you fall, so base you decision on that. It just takes persistance and falling to learn how to do it. I think it is best to hold someones hand until you get your balance and then have that person let go and walk away. That way you can't depend on them. If they stand next to you to catch you, you tend to depend on them instead of trying to balance. Once you get a few steps in it comes pretty fast. SlackinFl

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook