RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

scubasnyder

Jan 21, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Winter climbing and dry hands anyone??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone climbing in the cold now and notice how dry your hands get? I barely use chalk, the other day at the gym i used chalk to boulder and my hands hurt from being so dry. Does anyone know of any really good hand lotion to get, ive had this st. Ives stuff it works ok i guess but i was just wondering if anyone else has this problem and had a good remedy

rkhali

Jan 21, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter climbing and dry hands anyone?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard of something called 'Climb on' which is supposed to be great. I was never able to find it though.
I tried regular moisturizing lotion but it just softens the skin a lot and it takes a while to harden my skin again.
Cheers.

casco

Jan 21, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate using chalk so much that I love dry hands. I´ve been bouldering in a gym and I even lost my fingerprints!!! At least some parts of them...anyway, ask a girl, they usually know that stuff.

scubasnyder

Jan 21, 2004, 3:20 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill just use the hand stuff i got since no1 really has this problem

xanx

Jan 21, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my hands develope these deep cracks that never really heal... i've heard miracles from that Climb On stuff but have never used it. i use Balmex lotion (it is a really thick white ointment with Zinc Oxide - used as a diaper rash ointment). it works pretty well but i climb too often for anything to fully heal.

jhump

Jan 21, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hands too dry from winter climbing? You should try ice climbing.

reddaisies

Jan 21, 2004, 7:00 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the climb on stuff before, and i don't like it. It's basically a small bar of old dried up lotion that you use to rub on your hands. It's greasy and takes forever for your hands to dry. and does not moisturize my cuticles very well which is important to me because that's where my skin cracks first. I do see the advantages of using it though, small compact, no messy liquid lotion to worry about when camping, and great after a long day of climbing. But usually I just use the basic jergens lotion. my skin absorbs the moisture fairly fast. and no greasy feeling afterwards. although it doesn't last very long.

gipsy

Jan 22, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you tried 100% pure unadulterated shea butter. it's not a lotion, it is a cream (almost Crisco consistancy - ICK!) so you DO have to work it in and give it time to soak in, but the real stuff is great for several reasons, the least of which is that the true shea butter (again, not the stuff you get at wally world that is a liquified lotion, mind you) contains anti-inflamatory properties that are deeevine after a hard day on the crag. lots of folks don't like the stuff, but i swear by it and have created a bunch of converts. if nothing else it is worth a try. downside... it can be pricy (but worth every single penny!) and difficult to locate locally; some iternet sites include www.loccitaine.com , www.sheabutterstore.com, and www.africansheabuttercompany.com. good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook