RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

jay_climbingchick

Jan 22, 2004, 1:36 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Big Wall's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hay girl's I need your help. I am going to do my first big wall and I have some ?'s. First How do you go to the bathroom? Do I need a spechal tool? And How do you guys dress? I hope you can help and give me some tips. Oh yah I am going to Zion in March.
Thanks
Jay_climbingchick

moabbeth

Jan 22, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: Big Wall's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if you're going to Zion and you've got an experienced partner, you can fire some of those routes in a day so if you can hold your pee til you top out, then you're in buisness. If not there's a funnel type device...do a search in this forum cause it's been discussed several times before.

What to wear? Who knows....just look at the weather forecast a couple days prior. It's Zion in March. You could get dumped on with 8" of snow or it could be sunny and 70. I'm headed there in March too and I'll just do what I do anytime I'm heading out for a long weekend of climbing. Pack everything from a tank top and capri's to fleece and down layers and see what the new day brings weather-wise.

You didn't mention which route you're doing. Some like Spaceshot and Touchstone get a good amount of sun and will thus be warmer. Prodigal Sun will be in the shade and you could freeze your ass off.

FWIW, if you've never done a long aid route before, I'd be more concerned about learning big wall anchor systems, correct jugging technique and hauling before I'd be fretting about what to wear. It's your first big wall...it's a big undertaking and the climb itself should be your first concern. Not trying to be preachy...but knowing what you're doing and getting up the wall safely without affecting your partner or other parties on the route is more important than where to pee.

iamthewallress

Jan 22, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First How do you go to the bathroom?

Pull down your pants and pee, aiming downwind and off route. Best to do this when you are below your partner

Or...

Pull down your pants and pee in a bottle. Gatorade works well. Haul it off. (More eco friendly.)

Pull down your pants and poop in a paper bag. Kitty litter in the bag is helpful. Put the bag in the feces receptical that you are hauling (dry bag, poop tube, etc.) It's a good idea to pee first.

If you are going to be up there for several days, bring tampons.

In reply to:
Do I need a spechal tool?

Nature gave you one. Some people like funnels for peeing. I'm inclined to think that after you've taken a poop 5 feet away from your partner, you can dispense with shyness for peeing.

In reply to:
And How do you guys dress?

For multiday climbs....Many layers of synthetic clothes (cotton and down do not dry out quickly or keep you warm when wet if there is any chance of precip). Bring a waterproof outer layer including pants. Get yourself a good pair of fingerless leather gloves and some volleyball knee pads. My balaclava is my favorite thing ever.

Here's a link to pix from my one climb in Zion. You can see my various levels of dress as the temps changed...

http://mtncommunity.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1441&forum=DCForumID1

It was the first week of Nov. on Moonlight Butress, so we had a lot of sun during the day, but it was in ~40 when we were in the shade. I wore a pair of longjohns, a pair of pants on top of them, a tank top, a thin nylon shirt, a tight microfleece, a windstopper jacket, and a single ply gor tex shell on top of it all. I also wore a balaclava and neck gaiter at night. I was comfortable most of the day, but the belays still got chilly.

It's worth checking out "How to Aid Climb" by John Long and "Staying Alive in Yosemite" by John Dill, if you haven't already done so.

Partner holdplease2

Jan 25, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell ya what. PM me if you want, and we can talk. I am no expert by far, but might be able to help answer some basic questions and help you find where to go to get the answers I can't give.

Typing it all out would take too long and my fingers are very sore from climbing.

-Kate.

gblauer

Feb 3, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's a link to pix from my one climb in Zion. You can see my various levels of dress as the temps changed...

Those photos are great...I wanna try that some day...

rckclimbergurl

Feb 3, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Those photos are great...I wanna try that some day...

ditto! :D (both to the pics and the challenge!)

iamthewallress

Feb 4, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:oops: Thanks. I hope that both of you ladies do get to follow up that goal. Climbing in Zion was well worth the time, effort, and weather-braving.

Check out holdplease2's tale of the same route according to her partner vegastradguy!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=50917&forum=43

Edit...Here's her version too.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=50956&forum=43

(Hope you don't mind, Kate. I thought your iceberg ascent was inspirational.)

Partner holdplease2

Feb 4, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, Melissa...and when are we going to send one of those bad boys together? Hmmm? You get the offwidth free sections...I'll, uh, take care of the jugging.

And Jay_climbingchick, it was great PMing with you today, I wish you luck with your continued training, and can't wait to hear the details on your pending ascent!

-Kate.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook