RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

jcclimber

Mar 18, 2002, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Redrocks Nevada for Spring Break!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be in Redrocks, NV on the 23rd of March and will probably be staying for about a week. I will be trad climbing, sport climbing, and bouldering so if your interested let me know!

jetace

Mar 19, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Redrocks Nevada for Spring Break! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm from Klamath Falls, OR. I will be at red rocks for spring break too, we are traveling on the 23rd, we will be climbing prince of darkness, 510b, all day sunday, its a 7 pitch climb so it will take us all day, we will be there early morning, feel free to stop by and say hi... maybe we could team up for some fun routes the next day... monday as I have some good trad gear too, my email is goofjai@aol.com write back!
Jason

crackaddict

Mar 19, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some advice about prince of darkness. Last weekend we went to do it but got denied due to ice fall and snow flurries. If there is a lot of snow still there. Watch out! Every time a gust of wind blew, tons of golf ball sized ice came down the route, smashing into the belays. Hopefully for you guys the snow will be melted by then. Just thought I would give you a heads up of what to expect. Good luck!

jetace

Mar 19, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice, has anyone been there more recently? If so, has the snow melted at all?

crap

Mar 20, 2002, 11:40 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It snowed quite a bit on Monday Mar 18, but today Mar 20 we are expecting 80 degree weather now tell Mon. All cold related miseries should be gone by Mar 23. I'll be in J-tree my spring break.

wigglestick

Mar 20, 2002, 12:22 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe Prince of Darkness is only 5 pitches. I bailed at the top of #3 when it started snowing in mid February. Bring lots of quickdraws (18+) and a belay seat and/or comfy harness and 2 ropes.
Also be solid at the grade. Don't mean to be disrespectful but it ain't no sport climb. As sport routes go it is pretty runout. 15 feet between bolts is the norm meaning that you can't hangdog through the hard parts.

jetace

Mar 20, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wigglestick,

Can you use any trad on those really long runouts, let me know

Rock On

wigglestick

Mar 21, 2002, 9:27 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really. You will need some trad gear for the first (5.6 75') pitch. My partner placed 2 medium sized stoppers. The second pitch is all face moves and I doubt you could supplement the bolts with trad gear. Even if you got creative with some small nuts I doubt they would be worthwhile. The third pitch has one spot where it is about 30' between bolts. I placed a #1.5 offset friend in the flaring crack that angles up and right. You could get a medium stopper in there too. I don't know about the 4th and 5th pitches because I bailed from the top of #3 while dodging hailstones. I have some kind of crappy pictures that might help you see trad placements but I doubt it.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook