RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

psirro

Jan 23, 2004, 10:54 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

do you like this photo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i dont know anything about taking good pictures i am a total amature this was luck
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=23490
any comment about taking good pics is helpfull

far_east_climber

Jan 23, 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: do you like this photo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice sunset but I think that it was way too dark.. if you could've it would've been best to adjust the exposure so the mountains would be in shadow but still enough to make out some features.. also i think there's too much of the mountain in the shot. Anyway I'm only one person so lets hear what others have to say

boulder_monkey

Jan 23, 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #3 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea i agree with far_east...very nice sunset but just a bit too dark on the mountain part. i think theres a good amount of mountain in the pic, just needs to be brightened a little bit to show, like far_east said, more of the features. overall for a newb photo taker, very nice though.

~pz all! rock on!

usmc_2tothetop

Jan 23, 2004, 2:22 PM
Post #4 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea it is dark but you did have an eye for that scene. If your camera has a light meter where it will suggest a shutter speed. You should vary the shutter around those numbers and take a few pictures to see different results. Your camera has to become an extension to your eyes. A set of eyes that you have to operate manually. Good luck with your photography. I really hope you get into it.

psirro

Jan 23, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a lot guys
so there is too much of dark mountain inside i should better give more space to the spots that have more light...

scubasnyder

Jan 23, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #6 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

needs to be brightened

the_pirate

Jan 23, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #7 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to being too dark, the composition sucks. The eye wanders around the frame searching for something to land on but never finds it. It's a snapshot.

Looks like there are bushes or rocks or something on the ridge, maybe if you had moved closer to those and focused on one, silhouetting against the sunset with the clouds..... just a suggestion.

You asked.

psirro

Jan 23, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

climbsomething

Jan 23, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it's not that great. The mountain blob to the left is blocking the sun- more of the blazing light would have been appealing. There's too much black space, with greyish artifacts that should be edited out. The dark (rain?) clouds to the right are distracting, and the focus is too soft, as evidenced by the blurry bushy protrusions on the mountain to the left. It would be better cropped from the bottom to make a panoramic image, with everything in the colorful background shifted right. (as is, the image is pretty unbalanced, with the strong diagonal of the mountainside and the glow of the sun in the far left)

jenfu

Jan 23, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #10 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I wouldn't go as far as the Pirate concerning the composition. I think the composition has a bit of trouble because the horizon is exactly 1/2 the distance from top to bottom. A general guideline for photography is the "rule" of thirds. Divide the vertical and horizontal into thirds and place points of interest at bisecting points. This will prevent the frame from being split directly in half and giving the eye really no guidence. Also, if you expose for the foreground, your very nice sunset sky will get blown out. You can avoid this by the use of a graduated neutral density filter which is darker at one edge and then lightens towards to other edge gradually. Place the darker side over the brighter sky and the ligher side over the foreground. You'll get less contrast by a bit. I like the silhouetted foreground but it does take up too much of the frame. This is my opinion only. Keep shooting, experimenting, and having fun!

thomasribiere

Jan 25, 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #11 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A general guideline for photography is the "rule" of thirds.

I would say this is pretty true when one have to divide the composition vertically, but concerning the horizontal division of a picture, I would say that half-half is good when (let's say) both landscape and sky are interesting, but sometimes when the sky is very cloudy, or there's a strong difference of light between landscape and sky, you can reduce the sky to almost nothing. In this case, it's obviously better is the landscape can itself be divided, so go back to the "rule of thirds" with uneven thirds...

Sorry if it's not that comprehensible, but it's sunday morning early, I woke up to go ski and my back is so painful that eventually I decided to stay home. And the snow is falling, falling, falling... pfffffffffff! I'm disgusted!

ropeburn

Jan 25, 2004, 9:27 AM
Post #12 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A general guideline for photography is the "rule" of thirds.

I was under the impression that the rule of thirds had to do with focus and depth of field. That is, it has nothing to do with horizontal composition. Maybe I'm wrong.......

Back to the picture....
The artifacts in the foreground are very distracting, focus is soft and the overall picture would be more dramatic if the silhouette was more defined.
Of course I am not an expert........

but I play one on the net.....

climbernnc

Jan 25, 2004, 9:53 AM
Post #13 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the postings about the framing, but after many hours of training in this field, you have to find the real focus of your own picture. Are you looking for the sunset or the unkown of the mountains that are undistinguishable.

It is all in the eye of the beholder.

sean34

Jan 25, 2004, 9:53 AM
Post #14 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a big fan with rules when it comes to art. I don't read anything regarding photography because I feel my eye will be jaded by convention. My only advice is to become a master of lighting and keep shooting :)

later dood,

Sean

craggincragin

Jan 26, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #15 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice composition, but a bit blurry. I highly recommend a tripod for low-light shots. In order to get more depth-of-field in shots like this, you need to stop down, often resulting in shutter speeds lower than 1/60th, and handholding at those speeds will often make your images blurry. You will notice a great improvement (sharpness) in your sunrise/set shots when using a tripod. Just get a small, cheap one and stash it in your climbing pack - you won't regret it.

Cheers

wildduck

Jan 26, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #16 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

too dark
alittle blury

whats that black smog on the right of the picture ?

Good effot anyway !

viningjc

Jan 26, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point Sean!

sojourner

Jan 26, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in terms of shooting at the sun, the mistake most people make when they try to do a 'sun shot' is not adjusting for the sun. when you shoot a pic like you did, your camera reads a TON of light coming from the sun. if you just let your camera tell you which fstop/shutter speed to use, it will almost always be too dark, like your pic. best thing to do in this situation is to aim the camera at something else, like the mountain or another darker region, and get a reading from there. you'll be opening the aperture a bit or increasing the shudder speed to get the darkness out of the rest of the photo. and if the sun comes out a bit bright, you can always do a burn in the darkroom.
keep takin pics
sojourner

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook