RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

freakystyley

Jan 26, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Rock Warriors Way and related reading
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all - just had a quick question -
disclaimer
I do not want to take away from the Rock Warriors Way message, but being that life is a learning process...I am looking to pull from many sources.

What other reading have you done in relation to the Rock Warrior's Way? With the selection of self help/sports psych/new age books growing every day, can we make a sort of recommended reading list that directly reflects the Warriors Way meaning? Arno pulls from a few sources throught his book, some of them I have read and am getting to others. Point is, he does a great job interpretting the info into the Way and saving us, the reader, from the fluff.
The first title I offer is " MASTERY - the keys to success and long term fulfillment by George Leonard, author of the way of the aikido"
Obviously reading and trying to climb/life the Warriors Way has tinted my interpretation of any book I read, and this Mastery title was about the closest I have found to "the same but different." Each book offers similar thoughts and allows the reader to take away the message that, again, ties back into the Rock Warriors Way - that learing, experience, the path, practice are all equally important and in most cases outweigh the end point of the activity.

Partner phaedrus

Jan 27, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock Warriors Way and related reading [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine would be:

Tao Te Ching- Lao Tzu
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig
Jonathan Livingston Seagull- Richard Bach
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah- Richard Bach
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People- Stephen Covey
Zen in the Art of Archery- Herrigel
Tao of Leadership- Heider
Tao of Pooh- Benjamin Hoff (yes, seriously)

freakystyley

Jan 27, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mine would be:

...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig

man, is it still in print? I read that about 15- 20yrs ago and almost forgot all about it! still have it on the shelf.

thanks for the list.

dirtineye

Jan 29, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Mine would be:

...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig

man, is it still in print? I read that about 15- 20yrs ago and almost forgot all about it! still have it on the shelf.

thanks for the list.

HAHAH I had a copy of that book! I think the authors real name was rodger love or something... he let us stay at his place in new oleans back in the 70's and gave us copies. Wonder if I still have mine?

Damned small world.

There is another climber in the south who I wish would write something about his philosophy of climbing.... his name is Kirk Brodie. Bob Cormany is another guy whose thoughts on the subject would be interesting.

As far as books outside of climbing, I read the casteneda books when they were new, along with a lot of herman hesse, back there in the early 70's. The art of war is another one that comes to mind. I'm not sure how much these books help sometimes, it's sort of a trap in a way.

Use the books and their ideas as a guide on your own journey, that's good. Use em as a set of laws, that's probably not so good.

that's one thing I really like about Arno's book-- it is like having a conversation with him, more than a set of rules to read.

unabonger

Jan 30, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bhagavad Gita

An ancient Hindu text that describes enlightenment, detachment, renounciation. It is the most well known part of a massive amount of ancient Hindu spiritual literature. Various translations exist, I recommend one with plenty of commentary.

There are wonderful passages on what it means to relinquish attatchment to goals and the implications this has on reaching them, and how to reconcile that relinquishment while still striving toward a goal.

UB

joe

Jan 30, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhhhh...there this thing called a bibliography at the end of the book.

seriously, though. thinking body, dancing mind by chinglungwang al huang (?erk?) and jerry lynch is a really good book. i referenced it quite a bit before i got the RWW. it is a very good compliment to it.

jen_c

Feb 9, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thinking body, dancing mind by chinglungwang al huang (?erk?) and jerry lynch is a really good book. i referenced it quite a bit before i got the RWW. it is a very good compliment to it.
I agree - I read this book a year before RWW came out and it is a really good companion.

vivalargo

Feb 11, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I think the most influential books are those that lead to understanding the various forces that unconsciously drive us, and that we are always up against when trying to effect transformation. You might find any of the works of Hal Stone and A. A. Almaas to be especially efective on that score. Ultimately we are all up against the particular traps of our personality, and knowing specifically what those are can be very helpful and enlightning (but also very unsetling). To that end, any viable book on the enneagram can really open up your eyes.

JL

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 13, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tao Te Ching, Tao of Pooh, Te of Piglet, Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee), Chop Wood, Carry Water (don't remember the author), and The Way Of The Peacefull Warrior (Miln if I remember correctly, a must read).

I also am keen to any of Kahlil Gibran's writing, especially Sand and Foam and Tears and Laughter.

dredsovrn

Apr 1, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to ditto Covey's 7 Habits. I would also add Now, Discover Your Strengths (Buckingham/Clifton). Not really related to climbing, but focused on discovering your potential for greatness. I found it realeased me from the desire to focus on my "areas in need of improvement" and go for greatness.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook