RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

nicklikesfire

Feb 5, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #1 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

petzl rigging paw
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone ever used one or 2 petzl rigging paws to set up their tightening system?

Right now (on the tightening end) I just have a truckers hich in the line, with 3 'biners in that, then a sling on a tree (or whatever you may be using) with 3 'biners in that, and then you tread whats left of the line, after the truckers hitch through the 'biners for a pully system.

Using the paw would pretty much be the same thing, with the paw on the truckers hitch and the sling, and the biners on the paws. Same principal, except the 'biners would be spread out, less friction, less stress on the system, easier.

Is there anything cheaper than purchasing 2 of these things, or is this just overkill?

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 5, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #2 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Re: petzl rigging paw [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there anything cheaper than purchasing 2 of these things, or is this just overkill?

Ok, my little disclaimer - I haven't actually tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Pardon the crappy photo of a "slackline" between my door knob and my dish washer but I thought it might help illustrate what in the heck I'm talking about.

1. use some webbing to stagger the biners, say the midde one longer than the outside two. 3-4 feet of webbing would be more than enough to tie/sew loops in both ends, wrap it so there are three loops and just make the middle loop longer.
2. use something to space them apart. I'm thinking 1X1" piece of wood with a notch cut to hold it in place. I used a screw driver and a foam pipe for a visual.

http://slacklineexpress.com/images/paw1.jpg

http://slacklineexpress.com/images/paw2.jpg

I hope this gives you some ideas, if anyone sees an obvious reason this won't work please pipe up.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 7, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #3 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just figured I should ask, is there any real reason you have so many biners on there instead of a 3:1 and are you running webbing or rope through the tightening system?

Each biner the webbing or rope rubs against increases the friction in the system, so you even though it may be creating more mechanical advantage in a frictionless setup, the increased friction may be overcoming the additional advantage.

If your using rope it might not be that big of a deal, but if your running the webbing itself through then it very well could be increasing the effort used to rig the system by adding the extra biners.

nicklikesfire

Feb 8, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #4 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just figured I should ask, is there any real reason you have so many biners on there instead of a 3:1 and are you running webbing or rope through the tightening system?

Each biner the webbing or rope rubs against increases the friction in the system, so you even though it may be creating more mechanical advantage in a frictionless setup, the increased friction may be overcoming the additional advantage.

If your using rope it might not be that big of a deal, but if your running the webbing itself through then it very well could be increasing the effort used to rig the system by adding the extra biners.

I thought about th friction, and thats actually why I thought about th rigging paws, thy would keep the webbing from running over itself, and decrease friction.

Im using anywhere form 6-8 'biners, I can tighten the system by myself, very quickly. It may be overkill I guess, but I cant get it as tight with only a few, so this seems to be the way to go.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 8, 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you get friction from the webbing going over the biners, not just from the webbing overlapping. But yeah, just putting something there to space it out does help some from what I tested.

Instead of using little blocks of wood or anything I just resorted to taking a webbing sling and wrapping it anround the center loop on each end until it created a large enough bulge which would keep the biners seperated. It seemend to help, but I didn't test it much, the wind chill had the temp down to 8 degrees.

If nothing else spacing it should allow you to get away with fewer biners to achieve the same ease of operation.

6-8 biners - long distance I take it? At that type of tension you might consider an alternative setup to the primitive design.

nicklikesfire

Feb 9, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #6 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, we're starting with a 60' peice of webing, then a seperate peice that gets wound through the tightening system. I dont know if thats considered llong or not.

As far as a more advanced system goes, I've thought about getting ahold of some tandem pullys, 2 would probably do it, even once We find a longer place to set up, and get some longer webbing, I think 4 might be overkill for anything.

What else would constitute a better system other than using bearing or bushing pulleys as opposed to 'biners?

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 10, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #7 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What else would constitute a better system other than using bearing or bushing pulleys as opposed to 'biners?

It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what the bigger setups include, if you think your'll ever be hitting highlines or have a different purpose for the pulleys and such that'd probably be the way to go.

If you don't see yourself using pulleys for other purposes or highlines I use a different solution on my lines that I sell, but if your big on traditional types of setups you might not find it appealing - however, if you just want your line tight with little effort I might have a very good solution.

We use a 10,000 lb rated 2" DOT approved ratchet as the tightening system. Some traditional style climbers think it's "bad karma" to use non-traditional gear, but man it works. Other people may have better luck setting up primitives, but man I can't get a 50' line tight for crap and it uses a ton of biners to get enough leverage.

Using my setup my girlfriend, a pretty lightweight type, can set a full walkable 50' and using a slide lock add-on I built for it, it can handle much bigger lines. Overall the setup weights in about 7 lbs, which isn't bad and it packs up pretty well. Overall, it's a no-nonsense approach, you can break it out of the box and have a full 50' slackline in under 5 minutes the first time without so much as a grunt.

If you want to see what other people who have tried it really think about it, check out my gear reviews page on www.slacklineexpress.com

j-tha-b
Deleted

Mar 4, 2004, 3:40 AM
Post #8 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe im wrong. but i just used a come-along. its workinfine out in my back yard and its not a hassle to adjust it. but yeah peace

areyoumydude

Mar 6, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #9 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rigging paw would work in many aplications, but damn are they pricey. rrrAdams advice about two 'biners works great and with a paw or simply another anchor you can maximize your system with another two 'biner system to create an advantage that will make your lines as tight as you want.

jb

Apr 30, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #10 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yates rigging paws are under 20 bucks......they have cheap 31 Kn pulleys too......I got some and I can't wait until they get delivered.....

http://sierramountainworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ascender

jb

May 2, 2004, 4:34 AM
Post #11 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw, if you want to increase your system a lot, tighten it with your regular system and then tie a biner into the tension system webbing. This makes a moving pulley and without friction, it doubles the mechanical advantage. I set up a 110 footer with two fixed and five moving biners.....it was sweet

arun

May 4, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Re: petzl rigging paw - bloody brilliant! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

g'day
I bought one the other day :twisted: ! They are sooooo cool 8^) ! Now I have my crabs nicely set apart and can get more than enough tension, alone without any help. Agreed they are expensive, :cry: but then lets be honest, what isn't from petzl and unfortunately they are not always worth the cash! but IMHO, they are cool! Easiest way to have a totally clean system with least amount of friction on the pulley system! I can fully recommend them, for nice clean system! If you wanna see a pic of my setup, (haven't been able to post a pic yet on a post, DOH!), you can see my setup and who I us the rigging paw. (see my album)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook