First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

shocker

Feb 11, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #1 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Climbers for Christ?!?!?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope your making lots of money off that whoring for christianity in your advertising (note the lack of capital on christianity...). This isn't the place for proselytization regardless of the cause. I'm not saying that being a christian is wrong (although I couldn't be more opposed), but in an arena lilke this its poor form to be pushing it like that. The next thing we can expect is some right wing, hardcore american warmongering. That advertisement is fucking disgusting.

note from Trevor: I edited the topic from
Climbers for Christ?!?!? WTF???

...so that I could keep this post in General. I think it's a pretty good discussion, but will most likely spiral down fast and need to be placed back into the Community forum. It'll be fun to watch :)

reprieve

Feb 11, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #2 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers for Christ?!?!? WTF!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm....did I miss something? What are you talking about?

trenchdigger

Feb 11, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #3 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, who cares? They're paid advertising supports a website you frequent.

~Adam~

moabbeth

Feb 11, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #4 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hmmmm....did I miss something? What are you talking about?

Look at the ad banner at the top of your page.

I think they have a gym in Grand Junction. I know there's a christian gym there that a friend of mine got kicked out of when they kept nagging him to do a bible study with them before climbing and he finally said "sure, only if it's NAKED".

He was asked to leave the gym after that and not return. :lol: :lol: :lol:

escale

Feb 11, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #5 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, banners are just like road signs on the highway of life, some are great, some are boring, some are in bad taste. I don't click on every banner that pops up and like road signs, some go by so fast I don't even have the time to read them.

I'm to busy with my "journey" to worry about the road signs.

---Escale.

valeberga

Feb 11, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #6 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it is a pretty harmless ad, isn't it? They're not even selling anything. Is it even an ad?

Community... ok
Climbers... alrighty
Sharing... what the hey why not
Love... hell yes
God... well we'll all just have to see about that now won't we

Partner coldclimb

Feb 11, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #7 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does someone smell smoke? I think I hear flames coming... :?

kingman

Feb 11, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #8 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He's refering to a header advert, "Solid Rock, climbers for Christ." Though I must say in response. A free market is a free market. If they are willing to pay RC.com to run their advertisement, more power to them. This idea of payment for goods and services is the basis of a free market economy. If they wish to pay, let them pay. Look at it from the flip side, that advet is mearly advertisement, and its helping keep RC.com alive, whoes to complain, you don't have to click the link.

I'm curious though, would you think me rather mindless if I, as a Chirstian, posted a thread freaking out about the Pagangear.com header?

reprieve

Feb 11, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #9 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well it is a pretty harmless ad, isn't it? They're not even selling anything. Is it even an ad?

Community... ok
Climbers... alrighty
Sharing... what the hey why not
Love... hell yes
God... well we'll all just have to see about that now won't we

well put m8

Oh, and btw: not all Christian climbers are annoying - I frequent a gym that has Christian roots and the people there are really cool - fortunately they don't try to force it on you or play Jesus music or have stained-glass windows or anything at all that would clue you in to its religous background.

shocker

Feb 11, 2004, 6:19 AM
Post #10 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

~Adam~

You must be kidding! It's that kind of indifference that leads us down the path of misfortune. That's like saying it's okay for a tabacco company to fund a child's program.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 11, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #11 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

~Adam~

You must be kidding! It's that kind of indifference that leads us down the path of misfortune. That's like saying it's okay for a tabacco company to fund a child's program.

I feel the ground tilting. We seem to be going downhill fast. :?

reprieve

Feb 11, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #12 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm curious though, would you think me rather mindless if I, as a Chirstian, posted a thread freaking out about the Pagangear.com header?

I've got to jump in on this one....there's a MAJOR difference. PaganGear isn't saying "Climb for Zeus" or something like that. Just b/c the word "pagan" is in the ad doesn't make it religous.

But yes, the Christian ad is harmless. If you b*tch about it you're just looking for something to complain about - IMHO.

reprieve

Feb 11, 2004, 6:21 AM
Post #13 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

~Adam~

I feel the ground tilting. We seem to be going downhill fast. :?

Oh yeah, here we go!

dynoguy

Feb 11, 2004, 6:22 AM
Post #14 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He's refering to a header advert, "Solid Rock, climbers for Christ." Though I must say in response. A free market is a free market. If they are willing to pay RC.com to run their advertisement, more power to them. This idea of payment for goods and services is the basis of a free market economy. If they wish to pay, let them pay. Look at it from the flip side, that advet is mearly advertisement, and its helping keep RC.com alive, whoes to complain, you don't have to click the link.

Wow! Good point!

shocker

Post #15 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No, I'd likely snicker to myself and go to the next topic. Interesting point though. I've never noticed the Pagangear.com ad, but the christian thing got my attention immediately.

peas

Post #16 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So give some reasons why they shouldn't advertise on the site.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 11, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #17 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb moved this thread from General to Community.

reprieve

Feb 11, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #18 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No, I'd likely snicker to myself and go to the next topic.

HAHAHA :lol:

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Feb 11, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #19 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were working on the program that administers ads tonight and it went a little crazy. But honestly, even the excess banner ads couldn't generate the hype that this post did. shocker, I'll have the owner of the site send you a thank you note for stirring the pot on this one. You just can't pay for this type of attention. They'll probably have 5 people join tonight because of this post. Good job!!

Hey, BTW, I'm not sure what to say about the comparison to the tobacco company. I realize there are a lot of religions and non religions here, but comparing them to tobacco? Wow, you really live in a different world.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a member of Solid Rock. But they do help us keep the lights on here and I'm thankful for that.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 11, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #20 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Sigh*

It was a goner from the beginning anyway. Join the rest of the religious combat threads in the hell of rockclimbing.com, sucker. :twisted:

kingman

Feb 11, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #21 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="reprieve]I've got to jump in on this one....there's a MAJOR difference. PaganGear isn't saying "Climb for Zeus" or something like that. Just b/c the word "pagan" is in the ad doesn't make it religous.
quote]

I agree there's a differance in the two certainly. I just added that for sake of illistration, mainly because popular definitions, not nessecarily classical ones, would place these the words christian and pagan at polar opposites.

escale

Feb 11, 2004, 6:30 AM
Post #22 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note. This is the fastest thread I have ever seen fill up. It had two comments when I looked at it, I became the fifth comment, now I think it is on page two. Isn't technology cool.

When I was a kid and said something that was easliy misinterpreted it meant I had to meet another kid behind the fence after school. So, I guess the smoke I smell are the flames building up. But relative to that, this is quite interesting. What social impacts will open forums have on education tomorrow.

---Escale

I bet I'm on page three coz I type so slow.

davidji

Feb 11, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #23 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers for Christ?!?!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope your making lots of money off that whoring for christianity in your advertising (note the lack of capital on christianity...). This isn't the place for proselytization regardless of the cause. I'm not saying that being a christian is wrong (although I couldn't be more opposed), but in an arena lilke this its poor form to be pushing it like that. The next thing we can expect is some right wing, hardcore american warmongering. That advertisement is f---ing disgusting.
Somebody's going to hell :wink:
Just kidding, but I like the ad, and I'm surprised you found it so offensive.

shocker

Feb 11, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #24 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So give some reasons why they shouldn't advertise on the site.

They shouldn't advertise because they're polarized. I happen to be think christianity is an affront to human nature, so seeing blatant corporate whoring like that advertisement upsets me. And that brings up another point: The whole idea of "selling" religion is the worst form of capitalism there is. It seems to be a typically american response; if you have something/anything to sell, whore it out there like there's no tomorrow. Would I climb with a christian? Yes. Im fact, I used to work with a guy who was very dedicated to christianity and we used to have great debates while we were avoiding work. Should any religion be advertised on the site? No.

shocker

Feb 11, 2004, 6:46 AM
Post #25 of 127 (11973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's interesting that people figure I'm going to hell because I voiced my opposition to christianity. I guess all those muslims and buddhists are going to hell too. Personally, I don't believe in hell, so I'm okay with it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook