Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on college)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

builttospill

Feb 11, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on college)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I’ve got a question about climbing in your area. I’m considering transferring from my current school this fall, but I’m not sure where I’m headed yet. Some of the deciding factors (although relatively minor ones) are how close rock climbing is to campus, how close there is a rock gym (if there is no real rock nearby), how close mountains are, how high these mountains are, how interesting the routes up the mountains are (since I’m an aspiring mountaineer more than a sport climber), etc. So if you know anything about the schools listed at the bottom, please answer these questions when you get a chance (please bear with me, the list is very long…..I am attempting to narrow it down at the moment):

1.How close are the nearest mountains, and how high are they? Are there any classics in the near vicinity?
2.What is the closest rock climbing area to campus?
3.If there are no nearby rock climbing areas (within an hour’s drive or so), what is the nearest rock gym to campus?
4.Is there any ice-climbing in the area?

Non-rock climbing related questions:
1.What is the nearest ski resort to campus?
2.Are there any whitewater rivers nearby (as I’m also into kayaking)? How far from campus are we talking?

Thanks for your help. If you are particularly knowledgeable about one of the schools listed or the cities that they are in, let me know, since I have some other questions. I didn’t feel like posting them all, because most had nothing to do with rock climbing, and this is a rock climbing forum. Thanks A LOT.

University of tulsa
Wake Forest University
Davidson
Duke University
UNC Chapel Hill
Emory University
College of William & Mary
Clemson University
Rice University
Baylor University
Trinity University
U of Texas-Austin
Tulane University
Auburn University
NC State

Thanks again. A LOT.

climbhigh2005

Feb 11, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Re: Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on colle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry.. dont know much about those colleges, what are you majoring in?

builttospill

Feb 11, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Political Science (but my decision is also based partially on running cross country and track for whatever school I choose). If you know anything about colleges in another region I posted similar questions (different schools) in other regions.....since I am not really limiting myself to one part of the country.

Also, since this is the south, I realize there are probably not many ski resorts nearby, but if by some fluke chance there happens to be, let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Still looking for help.......

billhilly

Feb 11, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking at all the stuff you like to do you should go to college at Fort lewis college in Durango colorado(AKA Fort liesure). There's a sick play hole in the middle of town as well as a ton of climbing. Indian creek in the canyon lands is about 2 hours from there and there are many alpine routes within an hour of town. The mountains there are as tall as 14,700 feet. Purgatory ski area is 20 minutes north. Ouray is an hour or so and is one of the dopest spots ever to go ice climbing. Oh yeah, some people say durango is also the mountain biking capital of the world. Well those are some of the reasons I went to college there.

munckee

Feb 12, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Austin definitely has enough to keep you occupied, but it doesn't begin to compare to colorado. There are a few places to head for an afternoon that are actually in town. There are two gyms (two locations of the same one). There's enchanted rock about 1.5 hours away. Reimer's ranch is about 45 minutes, but I can't tell you much about it. Some pretty good bouldering in/close to town.

Other than that, you're gonna have to drive. And everything's bigger in texas. Hueco is about 8 hours away. Potrero is further I believe.

ottoman

Feb 12, 2004, 2:08 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yo dude...Wake Forest in W.S...............moore's wall...sauratown...pilot mtn....cook's wall.......stone mtn..............shiprock and linville gorge...all are close by give or take a drive

Partner one900johnnyk

Feb 12, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Political Science (but my decision is also based partially on running cross country and track for whatever school I choose). If you know anything about colleges in another region I posted similar questions (different schools) in other regions.....since I am not really limiting myself to one part of the country.

Also, since this is the south, I realize there are probably not many ski resorts nearby, but if by some fluke chance there happens to be, let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Still looking for help.......

i went to w&m... it's not that close to rock (3 hrs to the frings of decent climbing and 4 or 5 to seneca - one of the best places ever..).. there is a climbing club there and some climbing walls in the old gym but it's nothing to write home about. there is some trestle climbing and gym climbing in richmond (abt an hour away) and va beach (a little more than an hr) has a gym too.. emory's here in atlanta and within a two/three hour drives you have a lot of really quality trad climbing, bouldering, and ~2.5 and up to really good sport in tennessee and alabama... if you're interested in track though i'd check out w&m they have good scholarships for runners. also, william and mary is the best school on that list academically :) and it has a pretty good reputation countrywide...

oh and consider the season. va/nc will have a shorter season than a place like atlanta wehre you can run to bama or t-wall in the winter for some really good single pitch trad around... the time you will spend at college will be mostly around the winter months i imainge. of course, there are many gyms in atlanta. i don't know how you'll have time to climb though if you run track/cross country

nakedisforme

Feb 12, 2004, 5:39 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man. Davidson and Clemson are both relatively close to the things you want. Davidson is about an hour and a half from Boone which has plenty of world class bouldering and Linville Gorge's classic trad lines. Boone usually sees a good amount of ice for a few months as well. Mountains top out around 6,000 ft. so no mountaineering, but many many ski resorts which actually get pretty good snow about this time of year and are really cheap! ($10 lift tickets right now for all week nights). The paddling in western nc is second to none. You will probably end up quitting climbing altogether for the world-class creeking and playboating. Appalachian State is in Boone and worth looking into.

Clemson will be farther from skiing, but just as close to awesome rock and better paddling. Whitesides, Looking Glass, and Rumbling Bald are all within an hour and a half or so. Endless creeking just north of Clemson and I know there is a huge paddling scene at the school. This is the birthplace of perception kayaks. The Chattooga is super close and the Green River Narrows, the best run around, is about an hour away.

I have many friends who go to Auburn and I know there's plenty of climbers and paddlers there, but not too much good stuff nearby. Horse Pens is something like two or three hours away, and there's mediocre playboating nearby. Wicked far from any snow!

If you want to stay in the southeast you should look at Western Carolina, App State, UNC-Asheville, or maybe UT-Chattanooga. All have great paddling and climbing nearby.

dood

Feb 12, 2004, 6:10 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

California State University Fresno

danskiz

Feb 12, 2004, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure of what else is out there, but suny new paltz is an obvious one. Excellent rock(6 miles from the Gunks, 3 hours to the Dacks), Excellent ice(45 minutes from most of the ice in the catskills, and 3 hours from the Dacks). Ok skiing at Hunter(45 minutes away). The ww kayaking is ok within an hours drive.

waterdog

Feb 14, 2004, 3:09 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Utah, Attend BYU, walk to Provo Canyon. Or go to Utah State up in Logan. Climbing is great in these areas as are the Schools to.

builttospill

Feb 14, 2004, 7:51 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billhilly, assuming I'm not interested in Fort Lewis College for an unrelated reason.....what do you think of the other colorado schools on my list (actually just Colorado College and kind of UC Boulder)?? You might have some insight since you know colorado better than I do I'm guessing. Let me know what you think. I'm particularly interested in any info on colorado college in colorado springs, since it is one of my top choices right now, and I know Boulder has some awesome outdoors stuff, but no one has been able to shed too much light on colorado springs yet.

munckee: Any mountains to speak of? Gonna go out on a limb and guess there's no skiing nearby, ha.

ottoman: how long of a drive are we talking? And what are the blue ridge mountains like? Are they all walk-up or extremely small (I've only been in the appalachians in WV and Pennsylvania)??

one900johnnyk: Yeah, I liked the look of W&M last year as a senior when I applied there. It was my top choice, I really liked the team and everything, but there was no financial aid to speak of (I guess the VA budget crisis caught up with them). I will still consider it though. If I end up there I won't have much time for climbing anyway cause their team is pretty serious.

nakedisforme: How far from the skiing you mentioned for Clemson and Davidson? I'm pleasantly surprised to hear there is some skiing in that area.

danskiz: how is the school academically? I dont know anything about it....I may have to check it out.

waterdog: funny that you mention these schools.....I go to one, and have friends at the other one. I am planning on transferring cause it really doesn't fit me well (I'm sure now you can guess which one I attend). Nothing against the school at all or the opportunities around (walk to rock canyon and a lifetime of routes in 15 minutes from campus....drive to provo canyon and more rock and nice ice at bridal veil falls in 15 minutes).....but its not for me. Sad but true. Plus I got cut from the cross country team there, thanks in part to the altitude and being anemic. oh well. Utah State is nice but wicked cold for a kid from Maryland. I can handle BYU's weather....similar to maryland but more powder....but utah state is ridiculous.

billhilly

Feb 14, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that CC is a great school, I know it's really hard to get in there. The climbing nearby is good. Garden of the Gods is within biking distance( Find some pictures of it on your computer) there are many climbs there and many of them are multi-pitch. The south platte area is an hour or so north west, you could climb a couple routes a day and never climb everything in the next 30 years. some of my buddies set up an area called thunder butte near the sheeps nose, it's all granite with an alligator skin of boilerpot ledges. South west of Coloradosprings is eleven mile canyon it's a truly classic area. An hour south of the "Springs" is shelf road a sport climbers paradise, there are now something like 600 bolted routes on limestone. I like shelf alot that's where I taught myself how to climb in high school. I grew up in Pueblo just south of the springs thats why I know all these spots. West of pueblo there are a bunch of John Gill boulder problems, although most are on private land. You should go buy that book Rock and Road by Tim toulla. The spring is nice in colorado it doesn't rain as much as most places because it snows. If you want to kayak it is important to be there in the spring because thats when the water all runs of in the thaw. well I have to go, I hope that I answered some questions for you. Just send me a PM if you want any more info or people to climb with in the area.

nakedisforme

Feb 14, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nakedisforme: How far from the skiing you mentioned for Clemson and Davidson? I'm pleasantly surprised to hear there is some skiing in that area.

I believe the Boone area resorts are like an hour or so from Davidson. They are at least two from Clemson. But there are a few around Asheville which are only about an hour from Clemson. The ones in Boone are better. Boone gets lots more snow.

munckee

Feb 14, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, definitely no mountains around here.

waterdog

Feb 15, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, then come to Tennessee and go to the University of The South, walk to the crags, they are on campus, miles and miles of them. Just got back today and had a great time. They also have a cross country team.

phyre

Feb 15, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't really help you when it comes to the south or east in terms of good places to play but check out the northwest. I lived in Boise (BSU) and although I didn't go to BSU my friends there tell me it's good. It's also really close to a great local crag called The Black Cliffs. and a pretty good bouldering area in town called Table Rock. There is a small (1700 vert. ft.) Ski resort that's pretty fun. and at least three others within a 3 hour drive including Sun Valley (3000 ft vert.). If you are interested in mountaineering just pick an area. The Sawtooths are about 2.5 hours away. The wind river range, and Frank Church areas are also within a decent drive. Beyond that it's just a pretty nice city.

Oh also I don't know much about BSU's crosscountry program but NNU a small private college in a near by town has a really good and growing program.
Good luck with your search!!!
Tim

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook