Premier Sponsor:

dr.robert
Deleted

Feb 16, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

looking to move to colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i need some advice/help from anyone that lives in or knows colorado.

So im looking to move there. im looking to rent an apartment and i have no idea where in colorado i want to live. im into rock climbing (obviously), mt.biking and kayaking so i wanna move somewhere thats close to the mountains and the woods.

also im looking to spend up to around $500 a month on rent.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stevematthys

Feb 16, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #2 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Re: looking to move to colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at Boulder Colorado

Partner phaedrus

Feb 16, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #3 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you're looking for a roommate or to room with someone; you're not likely to find too many places for $500 a month, especially in the Boulder area. You might find something in Denver proper, which is only 30 minutes from the mountains/woods, but be careful of the neighborhood you end up in. There are some apartment locator services that will find you a place for free, and check Denver Post Online as well.

Good luck and welcome to Colorado. Be sure to post once you get here; you'll find lots of folks to show you around the out of doors here. :)

sharpie

Feb 16, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #4 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
$500 a month on rent.

???

What kind of Dr. are you?

spiderwomann

Feb 16, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #5 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first, do come to colorado, it's a great place to live.

however, colorado is notorious for having super steep rent.

I would also say that boulder is probably your best bet for what you say that you like, it is an amazing town. But I'm pretty sure that almost anything goes for about $1000 a month. So that works if you want a roomate, but otherwise...

check out nederland, estes park, etc, but i'm pretty sure rent is expensive in these towns as well.

good luck

helmut

Feb 16, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a big state dude, you have any ideas about potential areas. Basically if you live in Denver/Boulder/Front Range you have good access to great climbing and great mountain biking (I don't kayak but I've seen people floating down Clear Creek Canyon appearing to enjoy themselves) You will have a tough time finding any decent place for 500 dollars a month, you pretty much will have to go the roommate route if that is your price range. You should also consider living off the front range, I think Glenwood Springs and Basalt are two pretty decent towns, haven't been down south personally too much, I would stay away from Pueblo and Colorado Springs. You could also consider Durango or other towns down Southwest, I hear that's a pretty chill down there. Pretty much any of these places you will need to find a roommate or a room to rent in a house, but I don't think that would be too difficult. The people in Colorado are some of the coolest people I've ever met in my life, super friendly and helpful, maybe a little too helpful with all the unsolicited beta I get at the crags ;)

climbingnurse

Feb 17, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #7 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking to move to CO too, but not for about another 16 months. I'd be interested in hearing some more specific beta.

I too would like to live in Boulder, but the rent and job opportunities are much better in Denver. I was thinking about living somewhere between the two. Anyone know anything about Broomfield, CO?

What kinda Doc, are you? My plan is to go into Crit Care Nursing. Denver is where all the big hospitals are. Though there is apparently a brand new hospital opening soon (April?) in Boulder County and Boulder Community Hospital would be a decent place to work too.

zozo

Feb 17, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #8 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you guys work in the health field and you wanted to move to colorado springs you could practically write your own ticket. The rest of the economy is going to India, health care is the only thing booming.

granitegod

Feb 17, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #9 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if you wanna live IN the mountains, intead of in dirty stinky hot as hell in the summer Csprings/Denver/Fortcollins Metrogigantoplex......you could look at the Vail Valley (Vail, Eagle, Avon , Edwards, Minturn...etc). There is smallish hospital in Vail. Tons of mtn biking, a suprising amount of climbing nearby, skiing (duh). Of course, touristy and expensive in Vail, but down valley, more mellow.

There are some CLINICS in Summit county, but no hospitals (Frisco, Breckenridge, Silverthorne).....Summit has good skiing with a long ski season, gorgeous scenery, lots of tourists, very expensive rents, Great Mtn Biking (shorter season due to high elevation), gorgeous views......not much rock climibing, but only 70 minutes to Denver/Boulder areas), some mild kayaking (brrrrr). Did I mention summers are short?

Might check out Grand Junction, on the western slope. Junction has some great climbing (Col. Nat. Monument, Unaweep, only an hour to Moab!)...great Mtn biking (only and hour to Moab)....no tourists, more reasonable cost of living (I'd guess)....and has a hospital. Right on Colorado River....near Utah whitewater, and closer to CO whitewater rivers Delores and Animas, I think. Winters mild relative to Mtn towns.

Durango....Telluride.....Aspen......the list goes on....

jonoreh

Feb 17, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #10 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to live in the mountains for anywhere close to $500, I'd say Leadville's about it. Unless you get 3 roomates to live in a condo with ya. The Ville itself is one big superfund site, but you're close to the BV crags (year round, went on Sunday in shorts and a hoodie) Independance Pass and Aspen in the summer. Excellent mountaineering, Elbert and Massive, the two highest in the state are right across the valley. And if you ride ya got Copper, A-basin, Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek, Monarch ... all within 1 hour drive. Bring your 4x4 cause you probably won't find work in town and 24 and 91 are white knuckle in the winter. Good backcountry crowd too with the college there. Ghetto Fabulous.

Partner phaedrus

Feb 17, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #11 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one thing I would caution you on as far as Vail, Aspen, and the like is the cost... WAY expensive. There have been several reports on housing in those areas: average homes go for $1.2million, trailers in trailer parks going for almost a full million themselves, and no, I'm not joking. As a full time school teacher, I would qualify for Section 8 housing in those areas.

I lived in Durango from '91-'95 and really enjoyed it, though I found it a bit remote at the time. I've heard its undergone a good bit of development, as has much of the state, which means prices may have gone up as well.

The Idaho Springs area might be a good choice; I looked into real estate there and found it quite affordable, even for me. The only catch was that it was an hour or so to work one way, more in the winters with the snow they get up there. Check into some of your smaller mountain towns, but try to stick to the ones that are lesser known, lesser touristy, and thus less expensive.

Just my $.02... well, since I already gave one opinion, I guess I'm up to $.04 now... anyone have change for a nickel? :)

climbhigh2005

Feb 17, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #12 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread from General to US - Mountain States.

timstich

Feb 17, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #13 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, with respect to the $500 a month rent - you get what you pay for. Expect less than ideal neighbors. I can't wait until we can afford to spend a little more and get out of this apartment we are in.

As for proximity to the climbing, if you live in Denver you are pretty close to Eldorado, Boulder Canyon, South Platte area, etc. You have a lot of options. RMNP is also pretty close.

And of course Denver is a large employment market. But I highly recommend you set up a job before you arrive. That or have about three months of income minimum saved. It took us two months to find jobs.

deleted
Deleted

Feb 17, 2004, 9:32 AM
Post #14 of 25 (3444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:5fe072acfa="jonoreh"]... Leadville's ... itself is one big superfund site ... [/quote:5fe072acfa]

the uninformed speak.

yes, the epa is in leadville; [i:5fe072acfa]have[/i:5fe072acfa] been for years. yes, they are here under the auspices of the superfund program, but they should have been gone years ago. the only thing keeping them here is politics; as a result of the money they bring, they're in bed with the county.

do your homework next time. and, while you're reading up on your history ... it's 2:30 in the morning and i'm about to make a left turn out my front door. i'll walk a mile, mount my skis and skin up the pass. then i'll walk south along the ridge, skirt along a knife edge section and climb to the summit of dyer peak, where i'll enjoy a thermos of coffee and await the sunrise at 13,eight-hundred-something feet. a sweet descent through three feet of powder will follow.

please don't move to leadville. life sucks here.

besides ... it's a superfund site.

timstich

Feb 17, 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice to hear what a sucky average day in Leadville it like, George. That's what I like to read! Now if you could just elaborate a little and post it to the trip report forum. And don't worry. You can "sex it up" all you want. We aren't into fact checking and you won't be called in front of any congressional committees.

As for the EPA, feh. Politicians of their own sort of ilk. Look into how they tried to discredit their own soil scientists after their $400M acid rain study came out in the 80s. Unbelieveable duplicity.

dr.robert
Deleted

Feb 17, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #16 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not a real one unfortunately.

Dr.Robert is the name of a beatles song....

im merely a shipper/receiver. sigh....

Thanks alot for all the info everyone.

timstich

Feb 17, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you should probably be able to find a company here that needs you. Start that online job search and save your coins. You can get here if you want to. I managed to.

mother_sheep

Feb 17, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Denver is pretty darn cool. Just a couple of hours away from granite, basalt, sand stone, limestone. . .it's all here. Your chances of finding cheaper rent plus more job opportunities I'd say lie in Colorado Springs. The cost of living is slightly less expensive, for housing anyway, than it is here in Denver. If you can deal with all the religous B.S., you might enjoy it. It's nestled right in the mountians. Manitou Springs is another town that I really like. It's a strange little mountain town just outside of CO Springs. You'd be close to Shelf Road (my fav bolt clipping area of all time), 11-mile, Garden of the Gods and a few other areas. Good luck!

madmax

Feb 17, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #19 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're into mountain biking, then you should move to Durango. We got the best biking in the state (there's a reason the World Cup has been held in Durango twice). $500 will get you a studio apartment with a kerosene burner in the corner, however.

wigglestick

Feb 17, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #20 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it is almost in Utah but Grand Junction is what you are looking for.
Cost of living in Denver/Boulder is pretty high. However, most 2 bedroom apartments (even in good areas) go for around 1000/month so if you got a roommate it wouldn't be too bad. However, the way everybody else is talking I should start charging my tenant more that $450/month (note to self). Nobody else on this board knows beans about the kayaking situation so let me clue you in. There is some decent stuff in the Denver area in the spring. But you will spend quite a bit of time heading south to the Arkansas or west into the mountains to hit the Colorado or various creeks. Grand Junction would put you within an easy drive of the entire western slope and you would rarely need to cross over to the other side of the divide. The mtn biking in grand junction is legendary (think moab with less crowds and better beer). The climbing in Unaweep and Colorado National monument is outstanding. The cost of living is much cheaper in GJ. Do yourself a favor and buy a house out there immediately. In 5 years you will thank me. If I could up root and start all over again I would move somewhere between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction. I love Denver and the climbing, kayaking, mountain biking and quality of life here is outstanding. But Grand Junction is a place to check out.

deleted
Deleted

Feb 17, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wiggie (you hosebag) --

where the [i:5b599e028e]hell[/i:5b599e028e] ya' been hiding? i've heard tell you've fallen in the rapture of a hot climbing babe.

climbing and sex ... two great tastes that taste great together. there's [i:5b599e028e]worse[/i:5b599e028e] things could happen, i suppose ... :wink:

drop me a pm sometime.

regards,

geo

jay_climbingchick

Feb 17, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in the Rifle area. that is nice and you can find places farely cheep. Rifle Mountain Park is close and the Roaring Fork and Colorado is great for Kayaking. That is just an idea. any more Questions just P.M. me
Jay

sandbag

Feb 17, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because of the recent growing traffic SNAFU, i propose that any new imports may be required to take a driving test, and even pony up some sorta levy for the increased burden on the routes, the roads, and the brew pubs. Its all about family and fun, but we got enough already. Good luck!

climbingnurse

Feb 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because of the recent growing traffic SNAFU, i propose that any new imports may be required to take a driving test, and even pony up some sorta levy for the increased burden on the routes, the roads, and the brew pubs. Its all about family and fun, but we got enough already. Good luck!

Man, you people don't know what traffic is! The whole time I was out west this summer I would hear locals bitch about a "traffic jam" that I had just been in and laugh my head off.

Here on the East Coast, a traffic jam is when you can put your car in park! Out there you guys think the traffic has gotten bad if you have to slow down to the speed limit (which is always something ridiculous like 75 mph anyway). Ha! I defy you to get on the DC Beltway during rush hour and break 30 mph for more than a mile.

sandbag

Feb 18, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #25 of 25 (3447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Man, you people don't know what traffic is! The whole time I was out west this summer I would hear locals b---- about a "traffic jam" that I had just been in and laugh my head off.

Here on the East Coast, a traffic jam is when you can put your car in park! Out there you guys think the traffic has gotten bad if you have to slow down to the speed limit (which is always something ridiculous like 75 mph anyway). Ha! I defy you to get on the DC Beltway during rush hour and break 30 mph for more than a mile.
We have the 3rd worst traffic in the country, behind LA and SF. were the 29th biggest city, so by simple guessing per capita i say were #1...either way, good luck, buy us a beer, climb on!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook