Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

miagi

Mar 26, 2002, 10:12 PM
Post #1 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Pump up the volume!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, i do what motivates me so i bring my portable juke box with some techno music. It really gives me a boost on the rock! One day this kid was looking at me funny like "why the hell did you bring a juke box?" Im going to do what motivates me so heck with him lol. Unless its distracting other climbers. Any of you do the same? I was just wondering because i havent seen anyone bring music to the climb scene.

reno

Mar 26, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #2 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Pump up the volume! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the reasons I like to climb is that it is an enjoyable way to escape from all the noise and activity of the city. Being 50 feet up, listening to the birds, smelling the trees, and breathing the air...very relaxing.

I think that a boom box would ruin this for me.

Best,

JRB

kamofladge

Mar 26, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All though I would enjoy some good music while I am climbing but I just don't want to pack all of that extra weight to the crags. I have seen others do it and sometimes the music can help motivate you during the hardest parts of the route, but in the same context if the music someone else is listening to is a noise and not music then it can become a distraction. I would use it with caution. I do like the fact that you are doing something that motivates you to preform your best.

paintinhaler

Mar 26, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #4 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

birds, wind, trees...thats music for climbing

miagi

Mar 26, 2002, 10:57 PM
Post #5 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Im going to do what motivates me so heck with him lol. Unless its distracting other climbers.

I know, im cautious to other climbers. But anyways about the birds and wind and stuff...its nice and soothing and all but it doesnt pump me up. I mean http://www.climbxmedia.com uses techno for all of their movies because its exciting and gets you in a good mood. I think it would be a little boring if they added the sounds of nature. Not that the sounds of nature are bad or anything.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 26, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #6 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With no intention to sound abrasive, but Miagi, do you really enjoy climbing? In my mind if you're not already pumped up about climbing, maybe you just don't enjoy it enough which is why you have to bring in something from the outside.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think many people here have the same attachment to music as I do, it's been my life for so long, but climbing is what should get you pumped, not music.

sheppe

Mar 26, 2002, 11:11 PM
Post #7 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like listening to music in the climbing movies, but I think that if someone brought a boom box with them when I was out climbing, I'd prolly throw things at them.

-Sheppe

miagi

Mar 26, 2002, 11:28 PM
Post #8 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That did sound abrasive
As for sheppe, i only bring it if it is just me and my partners. If there are alot of people around i wont.
And Piano: There are tons of people in all different sports that listen to music to get pumped up before their activity. I see people that bring portable CD players to football, soccer, swimming, track ect. to get pumped up. Hell yes i enjoy the sport, i dedicate myself to it. Music is just my way of coping with the mental barriers.
For me, listening to music, lets say at a crux, helps me to focus on the move and not think bad thoughts.

[ This Message was edited by: miagi on 2002-03-26 15:29 ]

radistrad

Mar 26, 2002, 11:30 PM
Post #9 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be ticked off if some one showed up at the cliff and started to balre music. It could be dangerous, I may not be able to hear my partner over the tunes and that would be bad. They would probably have some problems with us. However if they asked first and kept it low enough that it did not bother me, it may, just may be aceptable.

Climbing gets me pumped up, I say save the tunes for the pre-pump drive in. Let the rock pump you up.

mother

Mar 26, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #10 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try headphones.

also, music does not = motivation. music is merely an external stimulus that temporary alters your mental and physical state. while good in the short term, it is not a long-term solution to success at the crags. true motivation is the result of internal stimuli and results from positive expectations, incentives and the desire to accomplish the seemingly impossible. if you choose to listen to music for climbing "motivation" do so in a discrete personal manner so that the rest of us can enjoy the natural sounds associated with the outdoor climbing experience.

most of all have fun.

melonhead

Mar 26, 2002, 11:38 PM
Post #11 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on treehugers!!! Get the music cranckin'!!!!!!!! Your talkin' to a country boy, no city to escape from here, and I dig music at the crag.

miagi

Mar 26, 2002, 11:47 PM
Post #12 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swear to god, does anyone read my posts? Im P*ssed so im going to ramble. As for everyone saying that music is an annoyance to climbers look at my quote.
Quote:As for sheppe, i only bring it if it is just me and my partners. If there are alot of people around i wont.

Mother - No headphones, not safe. I cant hear my partner. Also, i do keep it low. The title for this post was just a creative one. Motivation is temporary in alot of circumstances! Lets say your on a hard move of the climb. All your partners say "You can do it!" Dont you like encouragement? Doesnt it help you focus? Isnt it temporary also? You get a burst of energy thinking you can do it, resume with your climb, then need another pat on the shoulder? Music is my encouragement, because unlike alot of you, i dont have the convienance of having other climbers with me all the time. Most of the time im alone! I never get encouragement. Isnt music motivation?

If not then lets bring your quote into perspective:
Quote:result of internal stimuli and results from positive expectations, incentives and the desire to accomplish the seemingly impossible.
If someone cheers you on to motivate you therefore to give you motivation, isnt it resulting in internal stimuli and results from positive expectations...ect ect?

P.S. Piano, your post makes it sound as if your trying to make me quit climbing. It was quite a putdown. Something like reverse psychology..."do you really enjoy climbing?" Maybe you dont...maybe you should quit.

God....

mitchal

Mar 27, 2002, 12:54 AM
Post #13 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How's the sticker go?
Climb Now...dance later?
No, I guess that was work later,but if I'm climbing the only thing I'm hearing is the rock submitting beneath my paws.
But that's just me
Climb Happy
Mitch

addiroids

Mar 27, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #14 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see the need for it personally since it really is hard to carry all that crap around. I haven't even gotten into it during aid climbing, because again, it is too much to bring a boom box. But it would seem okay if you were the only ones at the crag. But get rid of the f*cking techno crap. That stuff is so worthless. Break out the Pantera or System of a Down and get it fired up!!

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 27, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #15 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would never try to get someone to stop climbing. It kicks too much ass.

I'm going from my own personal opinions, just as you are. Keep in mind these are my opinions, and I feel that simply climbing should be enough motivation. Obviously that's not how you feel, so be it. We just sit on different sides of the fence.

But it goes a little deeper than that, perhaps. Miagi, I'm not going to criticize you here, because I respect the fact that you maintain a reasonable level in respect for other climbers; quite noble. But how how many people here have been chillin at their camp site, enjoying nature, the birds, the gentle sound of wind blowing through the trees, only to have that violently disrupted by some ignorant fools and their car stereo at their campsite? Happens often...

I'm not a fan of that one bit, and I'm sure many people aren't either. The same can be said for those people who are not aware of other climbers around them enjoying nature and they start cranking to tunes. It's dissin' the experience.

Anywho...to each their own until it disturbs others...

miagi

Mar 27, 2002, 2:06 AM
Post #16 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, thanks Piano. And again on your rebutle about the car stero people in the camp sites.... I respect other climbers. The climbs i bring my 1x1 foot box (its small) are around 60 feet and not huge. Reason i said this is because i think people are thinking that i lug it up on a multipitch route
Anyways, I keep the volume at a moderate level if im all alone or with partners. Sometimes i dont even have music on. The only time i use music is if im in a Really good moood If climbers are present i turn it off. Simple as that. I do respect other climbers.

Anyways thanks for understanding piano. I guess I misunderstood you. Sorry

joemor

Mar 27, 2002, 2:06 AM
Post #17 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if u want music climb at the gym, they always have music "pumpin", for out doors i thought the whole point was you got away from the gym atmosphere? if you need music to climb headfones would be less obtrousive, i guess.

joe

miagi

Mar 27, 2002, 2:11 AM
Post #18 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

again...i think headphones arnt safe for you cant hear your belayer incase of trouble.

Partner dondiego

Mar 27, 2002, 2:16 AM
Post #19 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoy music as much as the next guy and if Miagi is the next guy and he has enough respect for me to ask if his music will bother me, I will most certainly not have a problem with it. If on the other hand someone lets it roar from the box without asking those around them, that is when I get irritated. Climbing with music is like brussel sprouts, you don't know if you like it until you try it. -Don Diego-

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 27, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #20 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one likes brussel sprouts. Science proved it.

melonhead

Mar 27, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #21 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what everyone......there are NO SET "RULES" in climbing. If you don't like what someone is doing at the crag....walk away and mind your own business. Grow up!!!

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 27, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #22 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh melonhead, how I pity that mentality.

That attitude will ruin many things for people. You're disrespecting your fellow climbers right now, and that's real good.

Miagi has it right, he keeps it real with his climber friends, you, on the other hand, seem to think what you do effects no one else. Baaaaaaaaaad train of thought.

What you do effects everyone. And guarenteed if you come into a nice crag blasting your music, you'll get some angry climbers wanting to have a few words with you.

Respect nature. Respect others. You'll get in return what you give.

daisuke

Mar 27, 2002, 4:05 AM
Post #23 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like bouldering to music but if I do want to listen to it I bring my walkman and keep it to myself. boom boxes are the devil!

piano and miagi you've both stated your oppinions like 20 times, give it a rest!

D

orngave

Mar 27, 2002, 4:07 AM
Post #24 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take Electric Blue to the crag, and he puts out bluegrass music. But his speackers are so small they distort if it gets over a whisper, so no chance of not hearing anything. And there is never anyone at the crags I go to, it is so sparsly populated no one really climbs around here. But if there are people I leave it off so I don't annoy them. Besides, Bluegrass is the best kind of music there is...

E.B. (electric blue)

cory

Mar 27, 2002, 4:11 AM
Post #25 of 36 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think climbing with a walkman and headphones is pretty easy. They clip onto most harnesses pretty well. I often climb at places that are right off the road, and sometimes the sound of a huge semi roaring past at 80 mph is kind of distracting.(Anyone who's climbed at the VRG knows all about that.)Music also seems to help me stay relaxed and focused on long endurance routes. Just make sure you have it attatched to your harness properly before you take a whipper and your walkman kills somebody.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook