RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

stuck

Feb 17, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

slacklines piss me off
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems that I am doomed to never be able to set up a good slackline. No really, i can not do it.
I blew 40 dollars on pulleys and static rope, plus i have an ascender and assloads of misc. webbing. Unfortuantely, i don't think that slacklining will be a possibility for me any more because of several things:

-I am not very intelligent. When it comes to pulling an 80 foot piece of string tight between two trees, i get confused and frustrated.

-I have no self controlol or patience. For example, i just got back from a park where i was trying to set up an 80 foot line. I have bene excited because i just got a 100 fot length of webbing and wanted to do longer lines. Anyways, i spent about 1.5 hours trying to rig the fucking thing. I have actually spent days mulling over possiblities for pulley systems, and browsing the web looking for insight. I ended up tearing the line down and kicking the dirt and screeming like a 6 year old because even with 100's of dollars worth of tightening system i couldn't pull the thing tight let alone take out the tightening system and tie it off.

When i read experienced slakliners saying that all you have to do is "yard on the thing with a 4:1 and tie it off", it seems simple. Here is what i do:

-i tie the dead end off to 2 biners with a munter hitch. This takes a long time because i always make the line too short or too long and the tightening system will not fit on the other end.
-THEN, i walk to the "live" end and put two pulleys, two on the anchor, and two on the end of the slackline.
- I yard on this with an ascneder attached but it never seems to get tight enough, even though i have a mechanical advantage with 4 pulleys.
- THE hardest part comes when: i try to tie a line between the anchor and the end of the slackline, the tightening system gets in the way and i always lose a lot of tension.

The bad thing about me is that when i get angry i make things worse by breaking stuff. That is why i am afraid to attempt a slackline again, today i came very close to breaking my new camera, burning my webbing, and crushing my pulley's and ascender. It is horrible because doing any frustrating activityis a potential liability.

This post probably made no fusdakucking, sense. I don't even get it my self. Can anybody offer me insight into an eaiser way to tie off the line?

piton

Feb 17, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacklines piss me off [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go to self rigging
http://dod.xmission.com/slackline

stuck

Feb 17, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i want a longer line though, i would need to be a beast to pull 80 feet long with a primitive system. I am fully aware of most common tightening systemsd; trucks, ratchet; primitive, SLB, frapping. I am just too dumb to understand it,

iltripp

Feb 17, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am just too dumb to understand it,

On the brighter side of things, at least you are honest with yourself. Most people have a hard time admitting their stupidity. :roll:

stuck

Feb 17, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, i think the first step to becoming slightly less stupid is knowing that you are.

slackinfl

Feb 18, 2004, 1:59 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a deep breath and some medication might help.

Seriously, do you know anyone else that slacks. Ask them to help you. If you can do a shorter line, you should be able to do a longer line.

justsayn2o

Feb 18, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'de say a coke and a smile

rckfreek

Feb 18, 2004, 2:46 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pud-a lime in da diet coke and drink dem bot-togeda :roll:

sorry for the lame post :wink:

Climb Hard

Rock Freek

deleted
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 3:50 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is the single funniest post i've ever read. i'm sorry you don't know how to set something like a slackline up, but at least you made me laugh

rngrchad

Feb 18, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have never slack'd, but I always helped a buddy of mine at school set them up. Here is how we did it......100 ft of tubular webbing....wrapped one end of webbing with a figure eight in the end around a tree at least 3 times, and then took a biner' and clipped the rope back onto the rope(hope that made sense).....now for the part where I came into the equation....I would take my Tacoma and drive a hundred foot out and tie the webbing to it....just drive forward to tighten the line and BAM! Instant slacklining enjoyment! :wink:

scubasnyder

Feb 18, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you will get it eventually, theres a bunch of places online that show you a lot of ways to set one up.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 18, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just don't bring lighters, knives, or anything expensive with you when you slackline. ;) Might try powerful fireworks and little plastic army men....

whiteflash

Feb 18, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...don't bring lighters, yet use powerful fireworks. Hmm....
Good luck finding a truck or something that works.

japhyr

Feb 18, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the longest line you have set up successfully?

Unless you have other people to show you how to do it, learning to set up a line through the internet is usually a process of setting up a few lines that don't work and then figuring out what's not working.

One suggestion I would make is increasing the length of your lines in small increments like 10 feet. Jumping from a 20 or 30 foot line to an 80 foot line is a huge difference.

Could you post a picture of the way you are setting up? We might be able to point out what's working and what is not working. (That is, assuming you still have not broken your camera!)

And what kind of pulleys did you get for $40?

noshoesnoshirt

Feb 18, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$20 for a cheap come-along at a wholesale store and your troubles are over...

bitsofsod

Feb 18, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with japhyr -- start shorter and work longer. I had problems with my line stretching too much so even though I'd get it tight, the thing would stretch more so I'm holding the line to the ground, even on short spans.

I use the same setup as piton:
http://dod.xmission.com/slackline/slackline.html
Try it over a shorter span. If you don't get the right setup at first, it's easy to break down and try again.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook