RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Aug 6, 2001, 9:37 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Glass Magnet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Went up to Metcalf a little while ago, and the base of the crag was littered with glass. Niagra Glen has the same problem in some parts. Crags seem to draw in stupid morons who think breaking glass is the worlds greatest entertainment. It's not an issue of whether it sucks or not, I just want to know how often you find broken glass at your crags.

I don't mean this to become another negative post, it's just a poll.
thanx. kris on i net ails

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-08-06 21:40 ]

kagunkie

Aug 6, 2001, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Glass Magnet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think this is exactly what your asking for but it fits pretty good.

Kris dont worry they are starting to put beer in plastic now, and eighty percent of it is allready in cans. Soon there wont be anymore glass containers to smash, damn!!! good damn good thing too. If we just make an effort to clean up whats there now the debris will become less and less as time goes on. Usually when you see alot of glass it built up over a long time. Twenty or thirty years ago it was nothing to just smash bottles as you emptied them at least it wasnt the terrible sin it is today, and everything was bottled in glass. Plastic and cans didnt really take off until the sixties and the seventies, does anyone remember the slogan ECOLOGY NOW! Its a slow awakening but were getting smarter alittle at a time. Have a little faith in your brother!!! Its easy to clean up broken glass just take a shovel and a seive (1/2" screen is good) and sift the stuff you shovel up and carry it out in five gallon buckets. In a couple hours you can un-do many years accumulation, and then youll be able to feel good about doing something that will benifit everyone (especially dogs whos feet are easily cut) who uses the area.

kagunkie

Aug 7, 2001, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A small broom or brush and some kind of rake would come in handy too but most important is to get others involved. Then you can gang up on the bottle smashers and tell them the way it is!!!

kriso9tails

Aug 8, 2001, 9:20 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should start up a "save the crags" coalition, to keep our climbing areas clean. Many crags have organizations representing them, but I wonder how much they communicate.

marcsv

Aug 9, 2001, 12:04 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on this sie of the planet the locals are aware of the potentials of a site so they set up a simple registry system. the process goes like this when you register you log in the data needed then they give you a trash bag. now when you've done climbing you bring the trash bag back to the registration area. but this system will only work with honest people and individuals who really gives a damn.

kagunkie

Aug 9, 2001, 12:08 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats true it would be good if it were easier to find others who are willing to help. Its not easy to do it all yourself. Maby if you could mass e-mail everyone in your area/state you could find others who would help.
I still do a little bit of trail maint or cleaning EVERY TIME I go to the cliff it adds up after awhile!!!

[ This Message was edited by: kagunkie on 2001-08-09 00:13 ]

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 9, 2001, 11:59 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you have something nice there will always be someone that wants to mess it up.
All we can do is clean it up and try to keep those people away. For example people don't like to come by my craig to goof off because the get herassed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$76.46 (10% off)
$89.96 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook