RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

verticallaw

Mar 27, 2002, 3:52 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

So what do you do before a day at the crags
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been checking out the forums and one in particular about food before and during a climb. What I would like to know is (to be blunt) I've seen guys and galls with some pretty crazy "traditions" before a day at the crags. The wirdest one I have to say was this. I met some guys at the gym near my home and they invited me out. We drove as close as we could to the crag and got out of the car. I was getting my gear ready and ensureing that I hadn't forgot anything when I turn just in time to wittnes these 3 full grown men break into this big pre-football style game chant (now this made me nervous) oh well. I find that my only one is sleep and maybe a beer (oh ya and a s--- load of coffee). So please share your stories and tell me if yours worked or not.
Thanks
P.S. I never did go climbing with them again and yes they climbed as well as any football player I could imagine as well.

jdcox_9

Mar 27, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

So what do you do before a day at the crags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HEY I play football and i don't think that you should stereotype either football players or climbers

Not all football players are big, dumb, bulky, lumbering, fools as is the common stereotype (i'm 5'9" and 140 lbs. and i play college FB)

Also not all climbers are skinny long and lanky. I've seen climbers as big as linemen climbing high end 5.12's and 5.13's

melonhead

Mar 27, 2002, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smoke some serious kind buds.

verticallaw

Mar 27, 2002, 4:12 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, No offence intended I was more tring to creadte a visual picture. Hey I played rugby for years and I am by far from small. I was talking about them trying to mussle their way up a route and reffusing advise.
I more thought it a odd thing to do at 5:00 am and in the middle of the nice peacfull woods.

tenn_dawg

Mar 27, 2002, 5:03 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chill out JD, it was just a story. And how can you get on to him for sterotyping a group he's a part of??? You can't honestly say that a group of guys screaming war chants wouldn't raise your eyebrows on a quiet saturday morning.
Anyway, I've climbed (and hunted) with a guy who refuses to use ANY air conditioning on the drive to the crag. I live in Tennessee, so it can be touching the upper 90's at 9 in the morning around here. He says that its worse to get used to the A/C then have to get into the heat. I think hes out of his mind!! There's NOTHING like a 3 hour drive in a 110 degree car to ruin your motivation. I've already drank a days worth of water before we even get to the trail! I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it.
-Travis

tendonbender

Mar 27, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love to listen to really fast, hardcore music so I can get pumped before I get pumped out. Deftones, 311, Disturbed, or even some trance-techno. On the way bak I have to calm mysef down and I usually listen to Reel Big Fish, Incubus, or even some Sinatra. Also,I drink as much water as I can and usually a nice massage from a cute girlie helps a little too.

miagi

Mar 27, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I really dont do anything the day before except for eat a healthy meal, alot of water, and sleep. The hours right before the crag i play really upbeat music to get me more hyped than i already am. I also stretch and warm up.

downshift

Mar 27, 2002, 7:25 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, on a weekend I usually have a good sleep before a climb and maybe grab breakfast or something with my climbing partners. In the summer during the week my usual pre-climb ritual is work, leave the office meet up with my partners somewhere on the way to the crag and then as a group head for the rock and climb 'til just after sunset.

crackaddict

Mar 27, 2002, 8:50 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with tendonbender music cranked up on the drive up and the cutie giving the message. But mostly I only get the music. Try listening to Lost Prophets Shinobi Vs.the Dragon. Cool song. Water, studying the routes I'm gonna do the next day, and checking all my gear the night before. Maybe a climbing video to psych me out.
Thats all I have to say at this time.

greenpointgumby

Mar 27, 2002, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm. Well I've never really had a day out on the crag but I have had more days than I can count, out on the trails.

You might call me an 'avid' mountain biker but avid is a rather tame word. Anyhow, my oldest friend can drive, well actually all of us can drive, now. But anyhow, we would all cram into his pickup and we would make our way to the trails. Then he would crank to the music. Stuff like Disturbed, NoFx, System of a Down, and much more. By the time we get to the trails we're all rattled. It's great.

If we weren't driving to the trail then when I get ready to go I crank my stereo. The music really works for me. Oh ya and sometimes a mountain biking video.

cheers

tenn_dawg

Mar 27, 2002, 10:03 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

BeerandBlood thats the funniest post in awhile!
--Travis

bigevilgrape

Mar 27, 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the most prepration i ever do for climbing is throwing my stuff in my pack ten minutes before i leave

addiroids

Mar 27, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I am at medical school and usually only climb on Saturdays now, I usually wear a climbing related T-shirt to class on Friday and stare at this hot Asian chick's tits and can for motivation (wait, that's every day). Then I drive to Josh or Tahquitz and drink some beer that night. Then wake up, have a wonderful breakfast consisting of plain oatmeal, a can of fruit, tuna, and "baby" coffee. Then put a rock in my buddy's pack while he is peeing and start climbing. "Rocking" works much better at Tahquitz than Josh since there is a 30 minute uphill approach.

Ohh yeah, and I fire up the f*cking Pantera to get psyched up in the morning, and to piss off all the patchoulli smelling, raygay listening hippies in the area.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

[ This Message was edited by: addiroids on 2002-03-27 23:12 ]

bulldog

Mar 27, 2002, 11:48 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no ritual.
I am, alas, in my old age, boring.
I work.
I eat.
I sleep.
I pet the wife and try to work off the guilt trip I'm getting for going climbing and leaving her with the screaming kid.
I drive to the rocky places.
I walk to the gnarly climbs.
I climb.
I drive home.
Repeat.

Bulldog (I think I'm gonna cry)

tavs

Mar 28, 2002, 6:21 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the spring/summer, get drunk on Roger's porch at the New Friday night, sleep in Sat morning and have some more beer or coffee on the porch while waiting for the rock to dry out from the inevitable rain that seems to come every Friday night/Sat morning in WV in the late spring. Grab some bfast around noon and head to the finally dry rock.

clam

Mar 28, 2002, 8:42 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk a bit with my partner in the day or days leading up to the climb. I rest. I pack my stuff and set it in the middle of my room the night before; go to sleep looking at topos of the route(s) we'll be climbing, maybe visualize a little. I meditate in the morning (everyday whether I climb or not), drink two cups of green tea,have a light breakfast. Make sure I take a good dump (no extra weight). I do not listen to music to jazz me up. I have to go the other way. I have to calm myself down. Usually, my juices are flowing nicely by the time I tie in and touch the stone.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook