RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

metoliusmunchkin

Mar 24, 2002, 1:58 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Right Hand vs. Left Hand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Many a time while I will be climbing, I will notice a large gap in strength between my right hand and my left hand. Because of the fact that I am right handed, I have noticed that my right hand is much stronger, and thus does not get as warn out as my left hand.

Now I am most positively sure that I am not the only person who is having trouble with this type of thing.

I am constantly trying to become a better climber, and try to pick up little hints on technique from every situation imaginable (climbing related or not). Seeing as I watch many climbing videos, I try to pick up on some technique. My observations have been that many of the really amazing climbers, have much equality between both their hands, strength wise.

This would be presumably accomplished by somehow training your weaker hand more rigorously than the 'dominant hand'.

What I am once again driving at is this: How exactly do you overcome this rather large gap in strength between both of your hands?

miagi

Mar 24, 2002, 3:09 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Right Hand vs. Left Hand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, I was waiting for a post like this Coordination and strength between the L&R hands sucks. Have you ever tried to throw something with your left instead of your right....it looks like you throw like a girl (no offense girls ) Im in the process of equalizing the coordination and strength of my hands so i can be ambidextrous. Its a slow process but it helps. For strength, I work my left hand only with those grip exercise tools that fits in your hand. I also try to do dead hangs on my pullup bar with just my left hand. I feel that if i do dead hangs with both hands, my right hand feels the need to take more of the weight so i dont do it.

As for coordination, I really dont think its that hard for climbing. Ive never felt uncomfortable using my left hand in climbing as opposed to throwing a baseball with my left. If you want coordination anyways like me, ive been throwing a baseball with only my left (in private of course). It helps over time.

Basically in summary of what im saying, you need to train your left hand only if you want your left hand to be as strong as your right. Im going to repeat what ive said cause i need to emphasize it. "the reason i say train with only your left is because if you do exercises with both hands, you have a natural tendency to use the right more than the left and take more of the weight.

Also, climbing with your left improves it...of course lol. Ive been working on easy dynos with my left, and dead hanging on my left to strength it and improve my coordination. Im seeing improvement so, it works for me.

Hope this helps righty

[ This Message was edited by: miagi on 2002-03-23 19:11 ]

jt512

Mar 24, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a big strength difference between hands, but it seemed to have evened out after I climbed for a couple of years. I never had to train specifically for it.

-Jay

spodski

Mar 24, 2002, 10:35 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my left hand is stronger then my right and iam right handed. go figure?. all i can say is climb and climb more, untill u can climb overhangs with only your left hand.

metoliusmunchkin

Mar 26, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Mike!

sparhawk

Mar 28, 2002, 6:18 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

talking about LR coordination, I was borned with a defected left hand... to say the least, I am missing a joint in my 4th finger... because of that, my left hand was way weaker than my right hand, before I started climbing about 6 months ago, my right forearm is at least one size up... now they are "almost" even,

the thing I do to train strength is to do hangs on slopers with aid of both my feet on the wall and my right hand on a easier grip, then I slowly shift my weight so I am about 80% on my left hand (arm as straight as possible)... then hang ALAP...

to train coordination, I force myself to brush my teeth with left hand, it's surprising how much longer it takes and by the time you are done using your left hand (and I am talking about comparing to an average brush with my right hand for say 3 to 5 minutes), you shoulder and wrist would be screaming . This works quite well for me...

happy climbing,
Cherith

[ This Message was edited by: sparhawk on 2002-03-28 10:20 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 28, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to have equal strength between the two, but less dexterity in my left when placing Pro, or even making a clip.

rrrADAM

saxonz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I write left handed but do everything else(except chopsticks) right handed/footed. My left hand is stronger but my right arm is stronger. It kind of evens out

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook