Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Granite Mountains access?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

crap

Mar 30, 2002, 3:30 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Granite Mountains access?  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Bernardino_County: Granite_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was driving by this area just north of I-40 and south of Kelso, CA the other day. It looks like J-Tree and I can't stop drooling over it. I searched the web and found next to nothing writen about it, only something about the University of California having some kinda specail study going on there that keeps unenlightened riff raff like us off the rocks. Is this true? Are all of the rocks there out of bounds for us? Isn't there some kind of loop hole or way to get at the goods?

vthorp

Jun 27, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Granite Mountains access? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We checked out the Granite Mtns. for climbing in early May. The Mojave Preserve has been our latest favorite area to explore -- it is remote and uncrowded. We climbed (top-rope) at the Granite Mountains and it was awesome! Pretty hot though -- I won't go back to climb until the fall. You are correct that there are closures for UC studies (they also have a research station in the Granite Mtns.) But climbing and camping are allowed on the north side of the mtns. There is endless scrambling and tons of climbable routes. We did see some webbing and rappel stations on some faces too. You can camp anywhere you want among the rocks. It was one of the best places we've camped anywhere in the vast CA desert. Really beautiful area! If you're driving north into the Preserve off 40 you will drive past the mtns on your left (west). You go over a pass and there is a road on the left just after the top of the pass. This gives you access to the north side of the mtns. I defintely recommend it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook