RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

crux_clipper

Apr 1, 2002, 12:18 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Photgrapher/Climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it possible to be a successful climbing/landscape photographer? By successful, i mean make a GOOD living off taking photo's of climbers and landscapes?

I am about 2 years from finishing school, and it could be a possibilty for a future career (if I could be sucessfull in it).

pushfurther

Apr 1, 2002, 2:03 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Photgrapher/Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=7319&forum=45&9

ratstar

Apr 1, 2002, 3:00 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basically you need to really damn good to get anywhere in photography. you have to know stuff that isnt normally known and see things not normally seen.

saltspringer

Apr 1, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

basically anything is possible but it's usually a matter of time: you need to establish yourself as an entity with a recognizable style so that people come looking for you for assignments. There are lots of photographers that shoot stock and many more that are serious amateurs sending pictures into various mags on a regular basis. In order to be a "staff" photographer (one that's called upon regularly for content/assignments) you need to be able to produce high quality images on demand. In the case of climbing photography this means being connected in the community to the best climbers or the hottest climbing areas: tough order! In landscape photography it's even more difficult to establish yourself since this is the preferred realm of most serious amateurs and there's not much money in it unless you're on assignment for a larger publisher. The most appealing but most difficult field to work in is that of fine-art photography where there aren't necessarily many paychecks forthcoming...any path you choose to follow is a little hit & miss but if you're dedicated to your craft you tend to find a way to persevere and make it work,

good luck,

Mike

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook