RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

climberdev

Apr 2, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Pins and Needles in my Fingers!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a problem...I'll hit up the indoor wall all psyched to boulder. After about a couple hours I take a well needed break. When I get back on the wall my fingers hurt like hell. I have somewhat of callused hands but I don't understand why it feels like my fingers are on fire after two hours. I have the endurance to climb it's just that I can't hold on!!
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

veilneb

Apr 2, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Pins and Needles in my Fingers!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's called exercise induced fatigue.

miagi

Apr 2, 2002, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it is a fatigue. This happens in alot of sports. Ever run track, or just run? After awhile your legs get all tingly and sometimes there are red splotches on your leg. I'ts common, trust me.
Anyways things you can do to help are:
1. Before you climb, stretch and warm up. After you climb Warm down and stretch. For you hands, to warm down that is, get a stress ball and slowly squeeze it for a little bit. I find that, that helps me some. Also when my fingers are sore the next day i warm them up with a stress ball and they feel better for the next climb.
2. Make sure your hydrated and you eat well a few hours before your climb. Sometimes your muscles tingle and burn out faster if you dont have enough water, nutrients, or oxygen. Make sure you eat well a few hours before, drink lots of water, and for O2...just try to catch your breath

I think the best measure to take is the warm down. I know how you feel. Personally I'd say after a climb, warm them down. After a warm down just take a break and rest. If you have to, warm them up again. It helps alot. Hope this works for you.

metoliusmunchkin

Apr 3, 2002, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel that Mike has covered most of what you need to know, however I would like to add my much more basic fashion of overcoming this rather easy obstacle.

If Mike's warm-down system does not work for you (which I highly doubt) then I would like to suggest perhaps the use of tape while you are climbing for such extended periods of time.

Whether you apply this tape to your fingers before you begin to climb, or perhaps after your first break (taken, I understand, one hour after you begin to climb), it should help with the burning sensation to some degree.

With time, you can then slowly apply a lesser and lesser amount of tape, until your fingers are tough enough (this is of course if the burning sensation has stopped after first applying the tape - for experimental use) or calloused enough to climb without it.

Hope I was of some help!

clymber

Apr 3, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was having the same problems it also went as far as waking up every nite with both arms asleep from my elbows down.I have a friend thats a chiropractor and she craked my back and neck and it all stoped.I think it was a pinched nerve in my case

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook