Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Belfont....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lostangel

Apr 5, 2002, 3:13 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Belfont....  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southcentral_Region: Bellefonte_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanted to post and inform you that if you do go to climb at Belfont they used to fine the climbers I also heard that they are confiscating equipment (this is probably a rumor)

It's an awesome place to climb, its a pity they are such Jack@sses about it! I am NOT tryin to defray you from climbing there, but I do think you should be informed of the possible dangers of climbing there...

[ This Message was edited by: lostangel on 2002-04-17 19:04 ]

clymberboy

Apr 18, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Belfont.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

long live the bellefonte quarry!

i believe that brainrocker is right. i have climbed there often while in college. never have i had a run in with the authorites. it has always been my impression that is is the local yahoos that entice the police to come out. generally i think climbers have been left alone. but still, it must be stated that it is private property & one would be trespassing.

rwaltermyer

Sep 23, 2002, 10:10 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard confirmed reports of 300 dollar fines and confiscated racks...YIKES. Although, it sounds ironically familiar to Safe Harbor in Lancaster...

charley

Oct 10, 2002, 10:52 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

bfont [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where

eightdirtypaws

Oct 10, 2002, 1:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was at PSU, we always parked at the Dairy Delight, or whatever it is, across the main road and walked over. There was a gate across the access road and trespassing was mightily frowned upon. It was quite an approach, but we ususally found some other peeps there.

We never had any trouble with the police actually coming into the quarry, but we did get stopped a couple times while walkin in the access road. We were respectful and polite and they always let us go ahead in.

I think the main point here is that if you don't act like an a$$hole, you won't have any trouble, but, as mentioned above, this is private property, so if you are asked to leave, do so. There will always be other days.

pAwS

sloperusa

May 1, 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Bellefonte Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any updates on this elusive crag? I am supposed to meet some guys there this weekend. I am traveling from MN and hope not to get turned away. Are there any other good areas near State College?
m~

climbinganne

May 1, 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bellefonte Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any updates on this elusive crag? I am supposed to meet some guys there this weekend. I am traveling from MN and hope not to get turned away. Are there any other good areas near State College?
m~

it is my understanding that bellefonte has been closed for 7/8 years...although, i know people who still climb frequently there and have no problems. Take the advice given above...i had NEVER heard of a fine given out at bellefonte..I have never heard of gear being confiscated (and if it was...by law, it would need to be returned after whatever evidence they used it for.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook