RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

robscate

Apr 5, 2002, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

which is the better lifestyle????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a few friends that are surfers. surfing is apperently not just a sport but a lifestyle. I told them that climbing is a much better lifestyle than surfing. what do you think.

ps. it's tough to surf in a land locked state

Partner artm

Apr 5, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

which is the better lifestyle???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I traded in my surfboard and wetsuit for a rack and rope. Now instead of walking to the Beach at 6am to grab some tasty barrels I'm driving to the desert (j-tree) to fall off cheese grater rock.
I think I may need counseling.....

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 5, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'beerandblood' is going to have a lot to say about this.

They are different lifestyles, one is not better than the other. For the few who do both, the lifestyle of a "climber/surfer" is probably what they prefer.

I am big into the SoCal music scene, and that also is a lifestyle. I don't think one is better than the other, they are very different. But I am passionate about both.

rrrADAM
p.s. Anybody else notice the change in topics lately ???

maculated

Apr 5, 2002, 9:07 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend who used to work for Marmot, so he really got into trad climbing and whatever. Then one day it wasn't so good for climbing so his friend took him surfing and he never picked up his rack again- literally.

He teases me that if I take up surfing I'll never go back. "Climbing sucks" he says every time he sees the major bruises and cuts I get from crack climbing (tape free).

I think it depends on what you want, just like anything else. I used to surf but it never took me the way that climbing did.

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 5, 2002, 9:15 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know one climber from LB that works for Climp-It holds as a shaper, he's even been pictured climbing The Needles with Tiffany Cambell in Rock & Ice. He was introduced to surfing and didn't climb for 4 months. It's in his blood though, so he's climbing and surfing now.

rrrADAM

crackaddict

Apr 5, 2002, 9:21 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have'nt surfed in a long time. But I would have to say the two lifestyles are similar.
Both surfers and climbers feed on the rush of adreneline and they both use nature to feed this rush.
I can say that it is an incredible feeling to surf. To be able to ride and move with rythym on something so natural.
The same with climbing it is also incredible to be able to move up rock with rythym and climb a piece or nature.
Both offer spectacular scenery and peaceful iner-tranquility.
Both have kind of derived from a hippie typelifestyle and transformed into something more mainstream.
Either way they both have a lot to offer, make me feel good keep me in balance.
I think it's not about which one is better but, about how they make you appreciate nature and what you have been given.
Thats all I have to say at this time.

djpuckle

Apr 5, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Earth, Water, Wind... What about the skydiving lifestyle? Anyone lived through that?

crackaddict

Apr 5, 2002, 11:38 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Earth Wind and Fire? Thats a 70's group.

Allright!

Or is basejumping through firey hoops!

Now thats cool!

Just kidding!

Later.

miagi

Apr 6, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #9 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam's right. You cant really say one sport is better than another. For someone, curling might be the love of their life. For us, it would be climbing. If you were to say curling is a stupid sport you would very much upset them. Whether this or that sport is better has no real facts, its all opinion.

crap

Apr 6, 2002, 12:43 AM
Post #10 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock good, easy cheap access. Ocean uses limited to its edges, too expensive to explore its interrior. Both achieve desired goal of adventure. Lifestyles similar.

lostangel

Apr 6, 2002, 12:50 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic made me think..
Everyone who posted is correct. I personally think that the difference between climbing and surfing is just a stereotype!! They fit in the same category...

“Lifestyles” such as surfing, climbing, kayaking, caving ect.. Then there are people who have a "milder" lifestyle like hunting, fishing ect... It's all about the person.. One style is not necessarily better than the other.. But better for that particular person..

When you get right down to the nitty gritty, like addict was saying, with surfing and climbing we both "feed on the rush of adrenaline" which we get from a natural source… (Unlike drug addicts, they are also a type of "lifestyle") It all depends on the preference of a particular person, who knows maybe one day I will find something that suits me better than climbing........
NAAAAAA!!

[ This Message was edited by: lostangel on 2002-04-05 16:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: lostangel on 2002-04-05 16:53 ]

estebandb

Apr 6, 2002, 3:05 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think any lifestyle is good as long as it is a lifestyle. What i mean by this is that we have to be passionate and dedicated to whatever the thing it is that we do. I f you are a climber, go out and climb your head out, if you are an artist, go and paint your best or if you are a surfer, go out there and catch some waves.

I feel bad for people who just wander around life just waiting for something interesting to happen. i dont know if its a climber's thing, or something about people dedicated to something like us or it might just be me.

Thats all
Peace

colin

Apr 6, 2002, 3:44 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrAdam was right on. Most would want to be climber\surfers. I know I do. Only reason I climb more than I surf is because the breaks in nj suck more 99% of the year.

wallhammer

Apr 6, 2002, 3:56 AM
Post #14 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will throw this out for responses. it seems to me that there are a FEW surfers that riun it for the many in their territorial domains of certain surf areas. "this is our beach" "locals only" type attitudes. i have run into this from san diego to santa barbara. i have NEVER run into this in climbing areas. i have never had a climber give me an attitude that i might be intruding on their climbing space. this in my opinion is what makes the climbing lifestyle a little better than the surfing lifestyle.

wallhammer

Apr 6, 2002, 4:00 AM
Post #15 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forgot, longboards rule!!!!

robscate

Apr 6, 2002, 6:12 AM
Post #16 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses. A few things a very apparant. (i know my spelling sucks) Both surfers and climbers become fully dedicated to there sport. Both sports (I wont call them hobbies) fill in every little empty space in someones life.

For all those surfing climbers... SURFs UP DUDE (you guys are lucky)

Rob

ps, for those that might care I am also a scuba diver....

angusmackay2000

Apr 8, 2002, 10:55 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that they are both great sports it would be hard to choose but since i am into rockclimbing so much i would have to pick that but it really depends on how much you are into the sports

pamola

Apr 8, 2002, 11:57 AM
Post #18 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I surf and climb and think that they both mesh well together. The only thing I did noticed is that the surfing community isn't as friendly as the climbing community. It seems like surfing is more territorial and if you happen to drop in on someone they freak out... Climbers, from what I have noticed are very helpful...

As for which lifestyle is better? I can honestly say that you can't compare the two unless you do both sports. Even then if you enjoy both why would you down the other.??

People all have their own thing and to say your lifestyle is better than theirs is foolish.

TO EACH THEIR OWN...

Pray for glassy waves and great climbing weather!!

kaptk

Apr 9, 2002, 4:20 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Living in a land locked state, I have not ever been surfing. It is something that I would like to try though. I always like to try new things. As far as saying that one could be better than the offer, I think that it is a senseless arguement. The answer depends on one's experiences. Why does everything have to be turned into a one vs. the other debate? I love to climb. I'm sure that surfers love to surf. That is all that matters.

milesdesbrie

Apr 9, 2002, 4:50 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which would be worse, getting eaten by a shark on a big wall, or taking a leader fall in the green room?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook