Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Buttermilks in July?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dynamicpanda

Mar 22, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Buttermilks in July?  (North_America: United_States: California: Bishop_and_Eastern_Sierra: Buttermilks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is probably a stupid question, but, im heading over to the sierras next summer with a local outdoor group. We will most likely spend some time in Bishop for one reason or another. The trip is in late-July and i know its probably going to be too hot. Is there any chance of getting some good bouldering in this time of year at the Buttermilks?

bigdski

Mar 23, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buttermilks in July? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bro, I can't imagine it would be any hotter than climbing where I come from, so I'm going to have to go with no it won't be too hot, but perhaps that's a regional subjective answer... cheers.

slhappy

Mar 23, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes it will be hot...but you can still get some climbing iun if you dont mind sweating...even in the shade. If your 45 min north the bouldering in the Mammoth Lakes area in great. Also the ice cave at the Sads are cool in the summer...if yoiu climb V4 up.

mdubbyap

Jun 2, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, the happies are right out in july (it's just not worth it), but the sads and milks are both doable if you're good at getting up in the morning. I usually get up early climb for a bit, till tips hurt and it's getting hot and then head to the park for a little slacklining and lunch, and chilling in my hammock. Then head back a little before the sun goes down for another hour or two of decent climbing.

matthew.

tahoe_rock_master

Jun 2, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went last year in mid-july. It was hot but you could still climb. Climb in the morning and evenings, and swim in one of the rivers in the mountains during the hottest part of the day. :D :D

Matt

fiend

Jun 2, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gf and I were there for a week in july last summer and had amazing temps (cold spell) for about 3 days and then it got warm again. The day we decided to leave the thermometer in town was reading 106 degrees so we busted north to Squamish.

If you don't mind getting up at 5am to catch some cool temps in the morning then you can get quite a few hours in then and again in the evening.

abbysomebody

Feb 9, 2005, 6:03 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely stick to the mornings/evenings, otherwise you'll spend your trip in the air-conditioned k-mart playing with the fishing poles and bouncy balls. if you hit a full moon the buttermilks are amazing for some full-moon bouldering...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook