Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Great Gym
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

shortsavage

Apr 6, 2002, 12:40 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Great Gym  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Willamette_Valley: The_Crux)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to try out this excellent gym earlier this month. College previewing took me to Eugene (a little hippish-town). The Crux gym is one of the best climbing facilities I have come across. With over 180 routes, any level climber will have some fun. A friendly staff and management offers classes and basic climbing instuction. If you are in Eugene, The Crux gym is a must see. Then, if you get tired of indoor, Skinners Butte is only a block away. So you can take what you learn indoors straight to these large columns.

[ This Message was edited by: shortsavage on 2002-04-06 12:43 ]

onbelay510

Oct 14, 2004, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2600 views)
Shortcut

The Crux [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crux has fewer annoying rules than any other gym I've been to. It has a nice bouldering cave and lead lines and some top rope stuff to start out on. And only a block from Skinner's so you can relocate if it starts to rain.

davidji

Oct 14, 2004, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Crux [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Crux gym is one of the best climbing facilities I have come across.
No kidding? I liked the people there and the location. I thought the climbing was OK. Your profile says you're from Walnut Creek, so maybe you've tried a few of the local Bay Area gyms. I prefer most of the local ones I've tried to The Crux. OTOH, if I lived in Eugene, I'd probably be a member.

Up there for school?

In reply to:
So you can take what you learn indoors straight to these large columns.
The only climbing I've done at The Columns was jamming & stemming up basalt columns. I'd guess I've climbed there maybe 3 times. Do they have similar routes at The Crux? I was only there once, and nothing like that stands out in my mind.

korntera

Oct 14, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2600 views)
Shortcut

the crux [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am in eugene for school right now, I have only climbed at the crux once and did not like it as much as PRG(Portland Rock Gym) but i hear that i am spoiled from climbing there on their 45' tall walls. I like the variety at the crux but it needs to have longer routes. And this has nothing to do with the crux but their ratings are way different than PRG, but that is not a negative, just something i need to get used to. Check out flagstone for outdoor, it is awesome, some 4 and 5 pitch routes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook