RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bustinmins

Mar 17, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Eldo - Wind Tower - Breezy and Bomb
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone. I'm going to do my first multi-pitch trad routes on lead very soon. I was curious if anyone has any experience on these routes and if they could tell me if the anchors are straight forward pro and cordelette type anchors? Where is the best rap from the summit?

Thanks for the beta - I"m going to research the routes section now.

JD

cedk

Mar 17, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Re: Eldo - Wind Tower - Breezy and Bomb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never climbed 'em.

But check this out for Eldo research:

http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/db/eldorado_canyon/

atg200

Mar 17, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

breezy is a walk off. you can build an anchor on it just about anywhere with anything.

timstich

Mar 18, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll fill you in on what I have found on the topouts of Wind Tower. The tops of pitch 2 of most climbs land you at one of the rotten bands. Above there the rock is typically loose, but can be of average quality. There is a single rap in a notch on the north side if you want to return to the base of the climb without walkning all the way down the East face. The traverse to the notch is fairly easy. There's a big cable near it.

All told the only iffy anchor I have encountered on Wind Tower was at the top of P1 of Wind Ridge. Kind of spread out crack, but a nice place to sit.

charley

Mar 18, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the bomb last year. The first belay is a tree and the second is two bolted hangers. We did not do the third pitch because of poor rock and one guidebook said don't bother. 60 meter rope does not quite reach the tree. we rapped off the rope and down climbed a cpl feet. The first move offthe ground was a bit awkward but just do it and the climb is fine.

helmut

Mar 18, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the bomb I actually wouldn't suggest belaying from the tree for the first pitch, I would use that for the 2nd rap though. The first pitch I like to lead up to the big ledge and belay from there, you have to be to a little creative with the anchor to get a good seat with minimal rope drag over the edge, but it's not too difficult and the ledge is huge so it's a great place to practice. The top of the 2nd pitch is a set of double bolts.

Never did Breezy but the Bomb is a good choice for 1st multipitch experience, the pro on the 1st pitch is great, on the 2nd it's a little runnout I think I only found like 6 or so good pieces in 90 feet or so, but it's a chimney so it feels solid. Great views of the Bastille.

dino

Mar 18, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Breezy: Can be done in two pitches or one. If done in two make your first belay at the obvious ledge. If you do it in one (to the walk-off ledge) you'll need a directional at this obvious ledge. At the walk-off ledge you will need to be very creative for a good belay; its there but you need look for it. If done in one pitch it will take most of your 60m rope. climbingboulder.com is your best resource for these routes.

skywalker

Mar 22, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly they both can one in one pitch. As mentioned, The top part of the Wind tower is of lesser quality. If you need the summit high Wind Ridge's last pitch (just move right a few feet and pull the funky roof) is the way to go and will put you right there for the rap anchors.
For "Bomb". If you can build a solid anchor save a tree, your back, and chance of knocking down small (big?) rocks getting into position at the tree; belay at the spacious belay with the sweet crack running through it. You can Rap from sweet anchors on top pitch 2. Traverse left at the prominent ledge and traverse left to Calypso's anchors (115ft) to the ground.
My opinion, do Breazy first as the climbing is higher quality, logistically straight forward (walk off P1&2), and...well better quality. But if you have a full day you could certainly do both AND wind ridge. The start of Breazy is the crux by the way, but good pro.

Cheers!

bustinmins

Mar 23, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I led the bomb this past weekend. Great route. I had to runout the top 25-30 feet because I had to use my 4 camalot in the anchor below. Someone had set up an anchor already and had to use what is available. My first BIG runout. It was mentally stimulating - shall we say. :)

Thanks for the beta and links. You guys helped a lot. I look forward to Breezy, Boulder Direct and Pseudo-Sidetrack.

JD

stevematthys

Mar 25, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out my web site, it is the featured site on the front page. it has beta and topos for those routes

here is the link straight to the Wind Tower Page
http://www.geocities.com/climb_eldorado/routes_wind_tower.html

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook