Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

roclymber

Apr 7, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #1 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Anyone a vegetarian? Good or bad thing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For about 2 weeks now, I've been a veget. and have consciously made the decision for dietary reasons. I do know that I have to eat nuts, and fish, eggs, and take some protein supplements, but is there anything else that I would be missing. Also too, is there a downside about being a veget. So far, everyone has said that it has been good idea, as long as I take care of the protein aspect of it.

Im not a complete vegian. I still eat eggs, and fish - just as an fyi.

matt

Partner pianomahnn

Apr 7, 2002, 10:57 PM
Post #2 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Anyone a vegetarian? Good or bad thing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I gathererd from what you wrote that you're only vegetarian (not really) for health reasons, which leads me to believe you would'nt have any moral problems with eating some good red meat.

Don't cancel this out of your diet. If things are eaten in moderation, it will be allright for you. There is a reason why humans are naturally omnivourous and not born as herbivores or carnivores.

If you're eating fish you're not a vegetarian. Vegetarians eat nothing but plant matter.

A few years back my girlfriend tried the whole vegetarian thing, and it screwed with her system; it just isn't healthy, especially not for athletes, where proteins and amino acids essential in rebuilding tissues are found in meats.

pushfurther

Apr 7, 2002, 11:22 PM
Post #3 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats on making your decision.

that said, i didn't let my ancestors climb to the top of the food chain so i could eat like a rabbit. give me a steak. a thick, juicy one, served medium rare..mmmmm.

maculated

Apr 8, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #4 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having been an animal science major and also having lived with a strict vegetarian (as in NO meat, fish, chicken, or otherwise), there is something to be said for vegetarianism.

I live a pseudo-vegetarian lifestyle because I live with my roommate who would rather not have meat in the house, and when I go out with her, I order meat-free dishes so that she can share them. I'm in the best shape of my life, I'm not prone to ills, and it really forces you to be health conscious: have you eaten enough protein? Getting those veggies and fruits? Enough water?

It is also MUCH better for the environment. Grazing animals wreak havoc and are the main reason the rainforests and other wilderness areas are being destroyed. Watershed issues, waste issues, erosion, etc, would be lessened a great deal if everyone restricted their meat consumption.

One thing to be very careful of, however, is to not restrict your dairy and carb consumption. My roommate is a little . . . heavy because she doesn't like vegetables or fruits. That really limits your dietary choices and can pack on the pounds (same thing happened to my sister and to me when I first started the psuedo-veggie lifestyle).

That said, a nice, THICK, juicy steak once in a while is a great thing.

And I say this with a clear conscience, because as an animal science major, I got to slaughter first-hand every kind of livestock and process it. I know where those animals come from, I know what happens when they kill them, and I know how they get to the store. *I* personally have no problem with that.

[ This Message was edited by: maculated on 2002-04-07 17:26 ]

saxonz

Apr 8, 2002, 1:16 AM
Post #5 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed that in my yoga students the ones who are complete vegans develope long, soft strong muscles with a very smmoth tone, Yet the meat and dairy crew are generally stiffer in the joints, more prone to injury and can develope "knotty" muscle fibre. They also are less happy when they arive.

miagi

Apr 8, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #6 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find people who are vegetarians seem to be a little bit on the skinny side. I personally wouldnt be one. Its sorta like a twisted cycle of life. Instead of hunting our food, we breed and butcher them. The same thing is common though. In nature, its inevitable to not kill and eat another animal. Like I said, its a process of life. But for us, a somewhat "twisted" one.

roclymber

Apr 8, 2002, 1:28 AM
Post #7 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, lemme get a couple of things straight here.

I love meat, i mean, im firm believer in veal, (please dont hate me for this, or post negative responses, but hey, veal is yummy in my tummy - and so is a baby back BBQ RIBS!!!! )

And second, I am a vegetarian. There are many types of vegetarians... a Vegian is someone who eatens nothing evenly remotely close to meat. no milk, no cheese, no eggs, etc.

I drink milk - lots of it. i love eggs, and fish. I just exlcuded all red meat from my body, and pork to.

There isnt anything in these meats that i cant get out of fish, and from plants that have protein along with supplements that also need the proteins I need.

I've weigheed both the pros and cons to not eating meat, and seriously the pros seriously out-number the cons. I havent had meat for two weeks (three actually, but i had mcdonalds on the way back from a climb, cuz i was really hungry. that tasted nasty for some reason, but it was the only meat, if you want to call it meat....that i had eaten all week)

I do plan in the future to return to eating meat again. But for now, and maybe for a couple of years, Ill see how this vegetarian thing works out.

I forgot one thing too. Mac pointed this out, but I really want to emphasize this. Being a veget. really forces you to become orginial when it comes time to eat. In general, vegets. tend to be healthier, but someone dun like vegetables, or fruits, so they remain thick. Ive been on a strict If-I-Cant-Pronounce-It-I-Dont-Eat-It diet. For example, pepsi one - contains phenyphanline or something like that.. That will rack your body up.

IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO ATTAIN ALL NECESSARY PROTEINS FROM NON_MEAT PRODUCTS. you just have to vary them, because there are different types of proteins. all are found in the foods im eating now. there really is nothing that im missing out on - 'sides the taste on my tongue

err...yeah, I dont eat poultry either

[ This Message was edited by: roclymber on 2002-04-07 18:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: roclymber on 2002-04-07 19:56 ]

wallhammer

Apr 8, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #8 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, if we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat! i could never give it up. i take eating way more serious than climbing, hence my small spare tire. i know little about the health aspect (always get conflicting reports) but i sure know about the taste aspect. give me that new york cut please! i have no problem with vegetarians if they dont cop an "im better than you for doing this attitude" or try and make me feel guilty for my eating preferences

gooch

Apr 8, 2002, 2:32 AM
Post #9 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegatarian!
Sorry but I couldn't resist.
Thouh as Jules says in Pulp Fiction " My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegatraian; but I do enjoy a good burger now and then"
and hey SUSHI Rocks
Namaste!

maculated

Apr 8, 2002, 2:47 AM
Post #10 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, let's get this straight:

No vegetarian eats meat.

If you eat eggs, you're an ovo-
If you drink milk or eat dairy, you're a lacto -
I think there's probably a fish term.
Most veggies are ovo-lacto
VEGANs (spelled that way) avoid any animal matter.
Fruitarians eat only things that have fallen from a tree or bush. (Notting Hill ref)

If you eat chicken, then JUST SAY you don't eat red meat! AHHHHHHHH!

Also, Pork IS a red meat.

roclymber

Apr 8, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #11 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, so if i dun eat poultry, and all red meat, but still eggs, etc. what does that make me?

and, are you sure its VegAn. i read somewhere its vegian, but im prolly wrong.

thx
matt

maculated

Apr 8, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #12 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roc - I'm sure it's vegan

And if you only eat red meat - raw, it makes you a wild carnivore!

daisuke

Apr 8, 2002, 4:29 AM
Post #13 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only problem with being a veg can be anemia, nothing like blood as the source of iron, ppl say spinach is the way to go but there's nothing like good ol red meat to satisfy your iron needs.

show me the beef!!!! and pork... and chicken...

mmmm
D

bodhi

Apr 8, 2002, 6:45 AM
Post #14 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a vegetarian for quite a while now and I can't say I've found any negative aspects of it. I still eat a lot of fish though...Just watch out for the Ca your bones need.

bulldog

Apr 8, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #15 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an omnivore.
If I had the disclipline and didn't love the yummy carcasses, I'd go veggie.

But, I work with a couple of very strict vegans. No meat, no dairy, nothing that has any animal by-products (ie, no gelatin, lecithin, etc...). Their diet is very heavy in soy with fruits, veggies, and nuts/grains thrown in. I admire their disclipline in maintaining this diet, but, I'll have to admit, none of them seem very healthy. They are vegans for moral reasons much more than health reasons, and you find a lot of that in my line of work.

What always makes me laugh (at least in their cases - not in all cases), it that they are always eating stuff that is specifically made to mimic meat. Things like fake peperonni made out of soy, fake turkey (tofurkey), fake bacon bits, etc... Just seems a little ironic to me.

I will not buy into the argument that vegetarianism is better for the environment. Anyone who has done any amount of work in agriculture knows how hard farming is on the soil. Responsible farming is the key - whether you are farming plants or animals. Third world examples of clear-cutting does not present a valid argument against raising livestock; the argument speaks to economic and social conditions, as well as geographical limitations, within said region.

Bulldog

gilthanass

Apr 8, 2002, 3:19 PM
Post #16 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an Ictho-Avia-Mammalia-crustacea-lacto-ovo vegetarian, and DAMN proud of it

quart

Apr 8, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #17 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vegetarianism is a great way to show you care about the planet, as well as a way of being more conscious about what you put in your body(avoiding the fast food trap). The only real negative is making sure you ARE more conscious, otherwise it's easy to become deficient in things like iron, B-vitamins and others. It's also easy to gain weight. I've been a complete vegetarian and mostly vegan for a couple of years(no meat, fish, poultry, eggs, etc...) and have been strong and athletic that whole time. I haven't suffered in any sports and it's made me feel better about my place in life. That said, it's a totally personal decision and probably isn't right for everyone.

dupree

Apr 8, 2002, 3:47 PM
Post #18 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SALAD is what food eats.

lostangel

Apr 8, 2002, 3:54 PM
Post #19 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can still be a veritarian if you eat fish because it is not a red meat, what you will be lacking is vitamin K, you can goto a health food store and purchase a suppliment for this.. Being a vegitarian is a good diet to lose weight on because you are minus a good bit of carbs, which will add tone to your body.

jt512

Apr 8, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #20 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roclymer, you don't "have to" eat fish, eggs, or protein supplements. A vegetarian diet without those foods would still be protein sufficient.

Note to xgretax and other vegetarians: If you don't eat dairy, you should take a daily calcium supplement. It is theoretically possible to get sufficient calcium from a non-dairy diet, but few vegans do in practice.

Note to xgretax and other vegans: You have no natural source of vitamin B12 in your diet, so you must obtain this essential nutrient from non-natural sources, which basically means supplements. Fermented foods, blue-green algae, and other non-animal foods rumored to naturally contain B12, don't. PM me if you have any questions.

Note to everybody: a daily multivitamin is a good idea, too.

-Jay, a nutrition research scientist

lostangel

Apr 8, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #21 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone else have any good clothing links?? I have gone though thelinks on RC.com but NO OFFENCE to the Coders cause yall do a Great job! but its like finding a needle in a haystack because no one really put a description down, and everyother link doesnt work.. So does anyone have any other good links?

Partner camhead

Apr 8, 2002, 6:55 PM
Post #22 of 56 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maculated said:
"Grazing animals wreak havoc and are the main reason the rainforests and other wilderness areas are being destroyed. Watershed issues, waste issues, erosion, etc, would be lessened a great deal if everyone restricted their meat consumption."

Livestock is NOT the primary cause of environmental destruction. As a professional wilderness guide, horseback rider, and occassional tag-a-long on Southern Utah cattle drives, I have a serious problem with this mentallity.

First of all, most meat that we eat comes from urban stockyards, pumped full of hormones and cheap feed for our eating pleasure. Very few cattle, and certainly NO pigs, chickens, or turkeys that we eat have been tearing up riparia in our national forests.

Furthermore, I fail to see logic in a boycott of the cattle industry for this purpose. Mining and logging cause infinitely more drastic and permanent damage to the land, but are we boycotting these industries??? As far as damage by livestock goes, our forests are in better shape than they were in the first half of this century. The most dangerous and permanent scars are results of mines (such as the cyanide filled lake outside Butte Montana).

There are many reasons to avoid meat. It is bad for you; it is inefficient to produce; it is possible and healthy to live without; its industries are inhumane. Wilderness destruction, however, is not one of them.

Partner camhead

Apr 8, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #23 of 56 (13635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Greta,
Don't forget the best example of responsible range management: Heidi Redd's Dugout Ranch, smack dab in the middle of some place called Indian Creek.

cedk

Apr 8, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #24 of 56 (12952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give up that unhealthy hormone and antibiotic infested meat and get yourself a nice healthy pesticide and herbicide laden genetically engineered salad.

Do it. You'll live longer and climb stronger.

Yeah, maybe not.

vaness

Apr 8, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #25 of 56 (12950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this suposed to be in the technique and traning forum? Or is it just me?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook