Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Better Directions To Checkerboard Wall!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

badacidtrip

Mar 28, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Better Directions To Checkerboard Wall!!!!  (North_America: United_States: New_Mexico: South_West_New_Mexico: Dona_Ana)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

DO NOT USE THE NM/TEX CLIMBING BOOK, IT IS HORRIBLE!!

First of all, go about 4.2 miles from the Shell Station on Jornada (when the pavement goes left, stay straight on the gravel road). There is a rough road to the left (west) with a white sign that is shot to pieces and a tire on the ground. This is the way to go, however, it is not easy to find: PAY ATTENTION AND WATCH FOR IT!!! There is a four-way intersection at one point in the road, STAY STRAIGHT. The road finally ends in a parking area. Follow the climber's trail (marked by cairns) to the base of the wall. The 5.6 route "Cross-trainer" is directly in front of you.

Second, do not use the topo in the book. Eyeball the routes. Be aware they are very wondering. This is a very good beginner area.

billl7

Oct 12, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Re: Better Directions To Checkerboard Wall!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been recently interested in Checkerboard Wall near Las Cruces NM for late Autumn to early Spring climbing and ran across this short thread. So I'll add a note and a request for beta:

In a newer guide, "Rock Climbing New Mexico", Dennis Jackson, Falcon Guide, 2006, looks like the Checkerboard Wall route descriptions are the same (although an unnamed route has been named "Punch in the Nose"). Also, it appears that there are no changes in the driving directions as compared to the guide mentioned above by badacidtrip.

Can anyone comment on Checkerboard Wall with respect to the experienced 5.7/5.8 trad leader? Also, I'd appreciate any comments about climbing on Checkboard Wall during the winter - is it really "very good" on a "mild winter" day?

Thanks! (hoping this isn't doomed to become a 2-post thread!)

Bill L

"All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day "
-- "California Dreamin'", John Phillips and Michelle Phillips

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me: