RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

areyoumydude

Apr 2, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

SLACK-JACK the 6:1 advantage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Slack-Jack, invented by slackline great Scott Balcom, is a 6:1 advantage system that locks off on itself after every pull. I've used 2 double pulleys a single pully and a gri-gri to do the same thing, but it is bulky and a little expensive. The two 'biner set up works you but can not get the same pulling power as the Slack-Jack. I've been using one for a year and it is light weight and works great. Try it, you'll like it.
Peace, Larry

far_east_climber

Apr 3, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Re: SLACK-JACK the 6:1 advantage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how much are they? I've heard they're only good for shorter lines of about 40ft or so.. is that true?

krustycowboy

Apr 3, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 6 to 1? Slack lines supposed to be slack, not tight.

Using some webbing and 2 biners makes a slack line plenty tight. You end up with a 2 to 1, and two guys pulling on it makes it plenty tight.

Do not buy slackline kits, it's a total waste of money.

alwaysforward

Apr 3, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Using some webbing and 2 biners makes a slack line plenty tight. You end up with a 2 to 1, and two guys pulling on it makes it plenty tight.

Do not buy slackline kits, it's a total waste of money.

fo shizzle.

far_east_climber

Apr 3, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
s

it's still going to bounce and be slack in comparison to a tightwire... i don't see how 2 biners could tighten any line over 20 or 30ft anyway.

theturtle

Apr 3, 2004, 7:26 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually the 2 'biner system (the Ellington) is one of the most efficient systems to tension a slackline under 50’ long. The secret is to use skinny webbing like 11/16” or 9/16”. This simple system delivers more of a 4:1 advantage or better and magically locks off on itself. For a beginner setup this is definitely the economical way to go. If however, slacking becomes a serious pursuit for you, it will become apparent that more efficient tensioning system is necessary.

Many people try ratcheting devices to tighten their lines, but these tools were not designed to tension nylon to an extreme working load. They are bulky and inefficient and are no real improvement over the 2 ‘biner Ellington system.

If Slackline is becoming a serious activity for you and you need to make setup more efficient to get the most out of your sessions, the Slack-Jack is the way to go. If you’re serious slackers who set up several different lines a week and need the power to tension up to 100’ slacklines, the Slack-Jack is definitely the way to go.
Just because the Slack-Jack has the power to get a slackline “air-tight”, doesn’t mean you have to do it. You will be glad you had its self-locking 6:1 advantage to get your slackline just the way you like it.

The Slack-Jack retails for $85.95 and is available now at www.notforclimbing.com

metoliusshawn

Apr 6, 2004, 6:51 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ss

slackdaddy

Apr 12, 2004, 6:00 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metoliusshawn please contact me via phone or email. It is important that you let me know under what circumstances you were able to break the Slack-Jack. Last week I set up a 114' threaded line with the Slack-Jack and Slack-Dog by myself, with no problem. My line was about six feet off the ground on the ends and my 155lbs. stretched the line to about two and a half feet off the ground in the middle. I know I was nowhere near the limit with this setup. A line this long requires the extra-long 55' pull strap. (The standard Slack-Jack pull strap is 33').
The Slack-Jack is rated at 2500lbs. but it doesn't break until a little over 4200lbs. Do you really need that much tension or were you trying to break it??? Please contact me and let me know. Please keep track of how much tension is going into a mechanical advantage system. The Slack-Jack is a six-to-one but by adding the Slack-Dog it can easily be increased to a 12:1 or even a 24:1, If two people pulled on this hard, you could potentially take it to the max. Please be safe. Scott

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook