Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Deletion of Unlikely Wall
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Apr 10, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #1 of 13 (10334 views)
Shortcut

Deletion of Unlikely Wall  (North_America: United_States: Indiana: Central: Unlikely_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This area was deleted on accident by an admitin. Please put back any info you had added to the area. Sorry.

Andy

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 10, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #2 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Deletion of Unlikely Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was the badmitin... Sorry.

bbbADam

dr_offwidth

Apr 10, 2002, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not mad, but it would have been nice for the person in charge to have notified the person responsible for the routes. Also, I don't think it was totally neccessary to delete the whole area was it?

The Doc

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 10, 2002, 9:33 PM
Post #4 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very sorry.

I f*ck up too.

sssADAM

fo_d

Apr 10, 2002, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy, is the Harrodsburgh Exit the same exit for Monroe Res? if not, is it north or south of that exit? I'll be there in July and thought I'd stop and play a little on the way.

Les

andy_lemon

Apr 10, 2002, 11:10 PM
Post #6 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Harrodsburgh exit is the same as Monroe Res. Exit. If you are passing through it is worth your time, but if you are coming down here just to climb it you will be disapointed. Maybe I can make a trip up there when you come down.

Andy

fo_d

Apr 10, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #7 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm confussed about this area, I was there last year. We parked under the overpass and walked up so we was on the west side of 37, right in the area of the guard rail. I didnt walk down the highway much to look the rock over better but nothing really looked promising. someone said there was a few bolted routes there. How far down from the guard rail are the climbs? maybe I just didnt look hard enough, but there was loose rock all over and nothing to set top ropes on and there was a guy on the other side of the highway on a ladder chipping off limestone and collecting it for something. Anyway any morew info you can give me would be great, I'll message you when I know the exact date we'll be there to see if you'll be around, we will be at spring mill on Saterday and probly driving back on sunday, I may try to look for it Friday on the way down.

Thanks

Les

andy_lemon

Apr 10, 2002, 11:57 PM
Post #8 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, so you park under the overpass... then you walk up the trail on the west side. I was indeed there last year too and did not see the trail because it was overgrown with weeds. I visited there just 2 months ago and they trail is visible now. You should follow this trail up the steep hill until you are to the top. You should not be walking along the highway, you will be about 60ft above the highway. The climbs are the top portion of the roadcut. You then walk all the way down until you find the bolted routes and indeed, it feels like forever, you will be thinking, "damn, this is the biggest roadcut in the world". There is about 30 sport climbs here, some the hangers are missing but most have TR anchors.

Also, the first section of rock you come to atop the roadcut has climbs on it. I did not know this when I was there 2 months ago. I didn't really pay attention to it though. The middle sections of rocks are bouldering problems, and they are fun!!! There is a matress under an overhang in the middle of the wall you may use for a crashpad. Let me know if you need any more info.

Andy

fo_d

Apr 11, 2002, 12:45 AM
Post #9 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks,I think I can picture it now, Sounds like I wont be draging my whole family up there this time, but I can take my bro-in-law and my daughter and get an hour or two of climbing in. one more question: what would you guess the difficulty range? are there a few in the 5.7 to 5.9 range?

thanks for the info.

Les

andy_lemon

Apr 11, 2002, 12:54 AM
Post #10 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is one 5.4 called "Honk if you're Horny". It has TR anchors, it would be great for beginners if that is what you are looking for. There are a few 5.7's, less 5.8's, couple of 5.9's, few 5.10's, one or two 5.11's, and Tim Power's "Stain" which is like a 5.12. I will tell you now, a 5.7 is a 5.7 there for the first 15ft then the routes are all run out at the top. At least that is what we ran into on the routes we climbed. It is truely a "tube fest" just like the guidebook author says it is. The tube formations are left behind in the rock from the dynamite blasts back when they made HWY 37.

Andy

cdent

Aug 5, 2002, 5:25 AM
Post #11 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I was going to add some route descriptions
for unlikely, but I got stuck on whether I
should use some section names and whether I
should class the routes as top rope or sport.

Some of them can be led, but they are so short,
it's almost not worth it.

Kevin Foy's guidebook talks about A1, A2, Upper Teeth, Lower Teeth, Boulder Wall and walls A-H. It it worth adding those sections?

srammy

Oct 24, 2002, 3:04 PM
Post #12 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can totaly picture where this is, and I'm going down to visit a friend at IU this weekend. She doesn't climb, so I plan on bouldering, Are any of the routes at Unlikely wall cool for bouldering. If not, any recomendations.

Adam

boardin1229

May 19, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #13 of 13 (10332 views)
Shortcut

trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a few of my friends and myself want to go out for a weekend and climb, we live in central indy. basically we are still newbies to sport climbing, would this be a decent place to go for a day or 2 of climbing? thanks alot

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook