Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

j_freak

Apr 11, 2002, 7:00 AM
Post #1 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Why did you start?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just a question. . . why did you start to climb?

i started because i love the outdoors. i hike, and paddle too. i just started climbing about a year ago. i live in BC, and everytime i drove past The Cheif, i said to myself that i am going to climb it one day. it sounds kinda cheezy, but i also do it for the glory of God. i'm a Christian, and i believe that God wants me to have fun with my body and keep it in shape.

tygereye

Apr 11, 2002, 7:30 AM
Post #2 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Why did you start? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also started climbing about a year ago. A friend once invited us to go clikbing with them. I was hooked since.
Before I also did lots of hiking. I just love the outdoors!!

maddie

Apr 11, 2002, 9:52 AM
Post #3 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cos it looked like heaps of fun... and it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lostangel

Apr 11, 2002, 10:04 AM
Post #4 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I live in the middle of nowhere, this is where people put lawnchairs and a cooler in front of wall-mart and set there all day for fun. (sad part is I am not joking) so I figured that there had to be more than life to this in "God's Country" and there is.. there is rockclimbing

its_me_drew

Apr 11, 2002, 11:00 AM
Post #5 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought that it could help meet girls, well it does however I have no money to spend on them because I'm such a gear whore.

treyr

Apr 11, 2002, 11:24 AM
Post #6 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I first tried it at camp and it was so much fun and i decided to take up all the time and It is really fun .

Trob

hathor

Apr 11, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #7 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started because my college has a rock climbing club and it sounded fun. But I became addicted because this sport is one where you can never completely master it. It's all based on individual progress, and results come very quick

mountainrat

Apr 11, 2002, 4:06 PM
Post #8 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn good question... I've been sitting here for half an hour so far. Because I was scared to, I guess; the idea of heights terrified and beckoned to me at the same time, somehow. Now I climb to pursue an economy of motion- no wasted, jerky moves, if I can help it. It feels good to move fluidly up rock, like skiing moguls gracefully (tops only! ) or "cleaning" a section of trail on a mtn bike with no "dabs."

boms

Apr 11, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #9 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use.

So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."
-- George Leigh Mallory, 1922

basically if you have to ask the question you won't understand the answer

klymer

Apr 11, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #10 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why ask why? Everyone has their own reasons for doing something that 99.9% of the general public thinks is crazy, to be different, to prove something, for fun. For me it boils down to climbing being representative of life itself; a challengeing upward struggle that requires focus and mental acuity in some situations and relaxation in others, there are falls, successes, failures, injuries, it's all there man! Why did I start? Because I'm way more different than 99.9% of the population...

[ This Message was edited by: klymer on 2002-04-11 09:14 ]

kevinwaldock

Apr 11, 2002, 4:19 PM
Post #11 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i started cause it keeps me in shape, gets me outside (i also love caneoing and hiking) and there is no real compatition. it's pretty much you against yourself, you pushing your own limits. And of course last but not least it's FUN and a rush to boot.
kevin

bigevilgrape

Apr 11, 2002, 5:20 PM
Post #12 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, you see, it was a bright and sunny spring day when i was in sixth grade. it was one of the last days of a right of passage program we have, and we where doing the "final challenge" we where going climbing at one of the local crags. i simply feel in love with it; even though i didn't start really climbing for another two years.

bulldog

Apr 11, 2002, 5:51 PM
Post #13 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wanted to be like Sly in Cliffhanger.

I think I have 3 primary reasons why I climb.
1) Conquering or at least learning to live with a fear of heights,
2) Its a challenging, often personally rewarding, social pastime that happens in the beautiful outdoors, and
3) I love the toys and the playtime engineering that goes along with trad climbing. Admit it, cams are cool man. So are hexes and nuts and ropes and knots and slings and oh so much fun.

Bulldog

wyoclimber

Apr 11, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #14 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got in for the thrill! The Exhilaration... the Challenge. I was around 13 yrs old.
I stayed in because I have never gotten into the "Organized sports." (football, etc.) Maybe I am not a team player... Maybe I just dont like all the rules... Climbing is you, your belayer, and nature, with some common sense and etiquette thrown in. I also keep doing it cause the other climbers i meet are SOOO COOL!

deblaunk

Apr 12, 2002, 6:00 PM
Post #15 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing when I was alot younger. I would alway be playing with a ball of some sorts and kick it over a fence or on a roof and I would have to climb after it... in the later years I would have been climbing trees and I have just upgraded my skills to climbing rocks. What can I say... it just seems like a cool thing to do.

robscate

Apr 12, 2002, 6:42 PM
Post #16 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to much money just lying around.

tcollins

Apr 12, 2002, 7:23 PM
Post #17 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the outdoors. Backpacking by cliffs made me think, wow I wonder what it looks like from up there. It's a great way to spend and afternoon, the people are really nice, and I've got a fear of hieghts that is diminishing now due to climbing. It's a great workout that makes a beer taste oh so much better.

daggerx

Apr 13, 2002, 2:30 AM
Post #18 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was really little like 6 or so, I rember I saw a guy climbing on Tv and told every one about it. My aunt found a local gym and took me a few times. By the end of that year I was a reguler but then slacked off for a couple of years only climbing once a week or something, but the last 4 or 5 years I have been getting back into it heavy.

DaggerX

crackaddict

Apr 13, 2002, 3:46 AM
Post #19 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to hike a lot. But found myself getting into areas where climbing was needed.

Then I tried it. I did'nt know that I had such a natural ability to climb.

That was it I was hooked!
I had found the one thing that I was pasionate about. I can not let it go.

Now I only hike to get to climbing areas.

Rockitup!

clam

Apr 15, 2002, 3:44 AM
Post #20 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well what immediately precipitated my taking a belay class was reading Krakauer's Into Thin Air. I was - for some reason - really intrigued by the Hillary Step, the only technical climbing on the whole route up Everest as I understand it. What was that all about, I asked myself. What is this technical stuff with numbers like 5.5, 5.9 etc? Then I read six or seven more books on climbing. Put that together with years of hiking and always being unable to resist going up third and fourth class stuff and the fact that I was getting older and wanted to try something really outrageous and there I was a couple of years later standing on a narrow ledge belaying my second on the second pitch of Munginella in Yosemite. Go figure. There's no turning back now; even at my ripe, well let's say, mature age. That's why I started; and I will keep climbing because it is a wonderful outdoor activity; keeps you in shape, puts you in touch with God's awesome creation, gives you a break from the slings and arrows of this outrageous fortune we call life.

upfreak

Apr 15, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #21 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To do something different... got hook onto it as soon as i put one leg up.

melsitek

Apr 15, 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #22 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just tried it for fun and after that day I have become a junkie, I love the way I feel when I get to the top or if I accomplish more boldering its the best feeling in the world and I can't imagine life without it!!!

calds

Apr 15, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #23 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever since I was a little kid I was always climbing on something. My parents were always yelling at me to get off the roof or what ever was close by that I could climb on. When I got to college and they offered classes in rock climbing I took them and have really enjoyed it ever since.

crackhabit

Apr 16, 2002, 10:04 PM
Post #24 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am sure that this i going to sound like a canned answer but ever since i was a kid i loved to climb stuff. cant explain it, sort of like why to guys like tools. i just love it. i started about 8 years ago, took a break for college, and now am back in a big way. nothing better.

ryanxsevn

Apr 17, 2002, 3:09 AM
Post #25 of 94 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basicly i have always loved the outdoors. I like to hike and paddle.
One day a freind from shcool talked me into going with. Been stuck ever since.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook