RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

far_east_climber

Apr 8, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

highlines - clove hitch or sewn ends
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it safe to clove hitch your ends of webbing into biners for a highline... or is it best to have the ends sewn. Thinking abit about that because what if you set up gaps of varying distances in different spots... you can't have a different length of sewn line for each highline spot, or can you? Do most of you have sewn ends for your highlines or do you clove hitch?

theturtle

Apr 8, 2004, 2:20 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Re: highlines - clove hitch or sewn ends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done both, but sewn ends are stronger. I prefer to use sewn ends whenever possible.

therealbovine

Apr 15, 2004, 2:54 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you go with a respectable company, with a history of "bombproof", then I would always prefer sewn ends. Not only because they are stronger, but cleaner. Anytime you tie a knot you weaken the webbing. For example; When you tie a "figure eight" in a climbing rope, it decreases the ropes overall strength (at the knot) to approx 80% of its original rated strength.

There are even better ways to tie-off your highline other than using Knots or a sewn end. In my opinion, the best way is to do a "high strength" tie-off. This is used in rescue situations, and has proven very effective for highlines. The problem is getting the right gear to make it work, and to my knowledge, only ethos has the product available as a custom order . The "basics" are to wrap the webbing, keeping it flat, around an anchor point that is round and of a larger diameter, three wraps as a minimum. Then tie-off or clip-in the sewn loop to a backup anchor. How this works is the wraps create enough friction that it holds on its own, even w/o the back-up (however you should always back it up!!!) this system allows the strength of the webbing to remain at its full, manufacturers rating. I'll try to get a photo posted soon, this descripton is going to leave more of you confused than enlightened...

Sean

areyoumydude

Apr 16, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you know the distance of the gap sewn ends are the way to go. Knots suck. Sean, I like your idea. I would like to see some pics when you get a chance.
Larry

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 16, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like your regular friction wrap used in using trees as anchors (ie, top rope or rappelling) right?

I've used it myself when I forget the tree slings. Works very well, downside is the half twist in the line but saftey wise it should be great.

therealbovine

Apr 16, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,

The rig we use is placed horizontal (Parrallel to the ground) thus eliminating the twist you refer to in a tree-anchor scenerio.

theturtle

Apr 16, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the slackline ends are sewn properly, they will be stronger than the webbing, thus the webbing will break at the full manufacturers rating.
I have broken slacklines, and break-tested sewn ends and found that once the bartacs are strong enough, the webbing breaks, but not at the stitches.

The "high-strength" tie off sounds like a great alternative to a clove hitch or any other knot in the slackline. It also would be a great way to adjust the length of your line without damage to the webbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook