Premier Sponsor:

skibabeage
Deleted

Apr 12, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

copperhead

Apr 12, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sierra Club Election Embroiled in Controversy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Human overpopulation is global problem #1 and both the Earth and society are suffering.

Close the borders, damnit!!!!!!!

Save a squirrel. Run over a pedestrian.

Support Darwinism.

socalclimber

Apr 13, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My observation is that Darwin doesn't need our support, we seem to find a way, one way or the other 8)

Robert

indigo_nite

Apr 13, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

economic and immigration issues would not be solved by closed borders. people will cross illegally for an opportunity to better themselves financially. there is something wrong with taking your business abroad b/c you can find such cheap labor (perhaps I've naive as a non-business owner) and then blocking access to someone wanting to improve their livelihood in the states.

I hope that the Sierra Club does not become mired in immigration and resultingly racial politics. it would be a turn off to myself and I suspect the wide variety of people who join in Sierra Club hikes/trips.

hikerken

Apr 14, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indigo, the Sierra Club is not about neat trips into the wilderness, but preservation of the wilderness, and other natural resources. ( I say that as an outings chair)

To simply ignore immigration as an aspect of population growth, is the stupidist thing I"ve ever heard! That is not to endorse any particular solution, but rather, to change the current Sierra Club policy, which is to not talk about, not learn about, not educate about, immigration issues and effects upon the environment.

However, that is not the real issue, here. It is about power. No different than national political parties.

From the Groundswell site: "The three candidates of primary concern are Dick Lamm, Frank Morris, and David Pimentel. Advanced by a group called "SUSPS," these candidates have no Sierra Club experience -- but they do hold interlocking roles on the governing Boards of outside anti-immigration organizations, some of whom are actively seeking to influence the Sierra Club's election. "

Lets see, David Pimentel, is, indeed, on the governing board of an outside organization, that does have an immigration policy......that radical organization, the AUDUBON SOCIETY!! He is a professional Environmental scientist at Cornell University.

Dick Lamm, longtime friend of SC founder David Brower, who has been a SC member since the early 60's. Yep, one of those "noobs"!!

What they don't mention is that the "powers" have put forth three candidates who are only on the ballot so that they can place a candidates statement AGAINST the "outsiders", and actually ask people NOT to vote for themselves, but the incumbents running. I've never heard of such a thing in an election!

Question Authority!

mike_ok

Apr 14, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anti-immigration is not pro-environment, its pro-U.S.-environment. If we take seriously the ecological impact immigration and emigration have around the world, the subject becomes much more complex than "let's close the borders."

nealric

Apr 15, 2004, 4:38 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The immigration issue seems incredibally narrow minded.

Immigration will have no effect on world population. If they are mad about that- why dont they run for planned parenthood board?

I suspect that the sierra club has a support base made up of quite a few liberals- doeset seem the best way to speak for them.

copperhead

Apr 15, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So then, is US immigration a good thing?

xkyczar

Apr 16, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes

copperhead

Apr 16, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why?

mountainmadness

Apr 18, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see how the there view is just racist plain and simple. They fail to realize that there would not be an immigration issue had not there "fore-fathers" raped,pillaged and robbed all of the resources in Mexico and Central Americas. This reminds me of how Hitler used the Jews as the reason for all of the worlds wrongs. Just like Pete Wilson using an anti-Mexican platfrom to bolster his career.
I know those board member have their white sheets in the closet.

tempestwind

Apr 20, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:deadhorse:

kailas

May 25, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #13 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem of illegal immigration is just a symptom of overpopulation,
there are billions of people that would love to come to this country, as well as other countries (ie.. Canada, Britain, France, etc...) because they think they can get good jobs. But can you imagine the USA with the population of china within our borders. I've been to India and China, nice place to visit but I sure wouldn't want to live there, espcially India, their enviroment is trashed. They don't understand enviromental presevation, they live for the day.
There is no question that too many people damage the enviroment and if the Sierra club doesn't take a stance on immigration they will be in a long line of Americans with their heads in the sand ignoring the problem.
It has nothing to do with racism it's a numbers game pure and simple. Americans are so naive and many have to rap reality in emotional terminology to justify their positions.

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook