Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

outhere

Apr 13, 2002, 2:27 PM
Post #1 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

How to have a cheap road trip?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thought this might be a funny topic hearing about some of your inexpensive ways of living on the road.

clymber

Apr 13, 2002, 3:00 PM
Post #2 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

How to have a cheap road trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you consider cheap. The way my partner and i do it is i drive and pay for the gas and he buys and cooks all the food and then we cut the camp site cost in half. Or you can split the gas and live off ramen,oatmeal and pasta. We spent a week at the Red in KY and think we spent about $60 each. Might not be as cheap as you wanted but hell $60 is a nite in a semi nice hotel.

clymber

Apr 13, 2002, 3:20 PM
Post #3 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you consider cheap. The way my partner and i do it is i drive and pay for the gas and he buys and cooks all the food and then we cut the camp site cost in half. Or you can split the gas and live off ramen,oatmeal and pasta. We spent a week at the Red in KY and think we spent about $60 each. Might not be as cheap as you wanted but hell $60 is a nite in a semi nice hotel.

pushfurther

Apr 13, 2002, 6:27 PM
Post #4 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use gas station restrooms for showers.

hang out at restaurants near closing time.

crap

Apr 13, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #5 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plan your trips around the time when wild plants in the area your going to are most fruitful. I ate a ton of wild berries in Washington last summer and was still able to knock off Rainier. Train hopping can be incorporated into any road trip, of course it would be called a rail trip then. Hitch hiking adds to the adventure as well. Don't forget you can get away with just about anything on BLM land. And who says you can't eat road kill?

Some of my fondest memories are of running/hiding from the police, sleeping in parks and truck stops, "finding" free food, scoreing free showers at college gyms, and generally living off nothing on the way to a climb.

After all is said, the person who can enjoy the most suffering usually gets the most milage out of a road trip.

lostangel

Apr 13, 2002, 11:08 PM
Post #6 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get as many people to go as you can, sleep in cars on the ground, then if you half to sleep in a room, everyone splits the price of one roach hotel! buy lots of oodles noodles from Sams club bulk!!! and only eat that for the trip!!!

apollodorus

Apr 14, 2002, 1:38 AM
Post #7 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap has the best strategy: totally go to ground, and treat the trip as a guerilla operation: infiltrate and ascend.

His comment on road kill should only apply to fresh road kill. And it depends what was hit. I mean, if you hack the hind leg of a deer that was just hit (by you), you've got one fine barbeque, comin' up!

You might also try investing in a fishing license. Depending on how crowded the areas you visit are, this might work out pretty well. Gut-N-Gill them, wrap them in foil, and toss them on a cool part of the coals. When done, the bones will pull out in one big piece, sorta looking like those fossil things in the museum.

And I like the idea of foraging berries. One fall, in Yosemite Valley I discovered something: there are LOTS of apple trees in the meadows near the post office. No kidding. They're sorta hidden in among the redwoods and other native trees. They were getting ripe just before Thanksgiving.

Here's my idea: use a big grappling hook and retired lead rope to snare the bumper of one of those big rigs. Then turn your engine off. If you stay close enough, he'll never see you in his mirror. The Highway Patrol will pull alongside, though, and crucify you right there.

bulldog

Apr 14, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #8 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Own a diesel like me that gets 55 miles to the gallon.
2. Have all your climbing areas within .5-5 hours drive.
3. Always make it a one day trip, no matter how early you leave and how late you return.
4. Drink water and eat snickers. Don't waste your money on Powerbricks and Saltyaids.

Bulldog [the ultimate cheap-o]

arete2

Apr 14, 2002, 4:21 AM
Post #9 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pay 96 cents for hot and 96 cents for buns, take wood from the woods to burn, and when you cant find anymore wood in the morning, just eat the hot dogs cold, along with some chee-tos, great food to eat before climbing.
Arete

crap

Apr 14, 2002, 5:24 AM
Post #10 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bulldog

I use to have a VW Diesel too. It was awesome. I was in the process of converting it to take Bio-Diesel, a home made fuel derived from resturant french fry oil and cost about .50 a gallon to make, when my parents caught wind of the plan and donated my VW to a charity while I was adventuring elsewhere. Since I didn't own it to begin with there was no use crying, especially since mom and dad don't charge rent. And let me tell you, when you're 28 years old, don't date, have one and a half college degrees, can't work because it takes too much time away from your climbing, and all you think about is heading out on another adventure(and Simpsons of course). It really pays to have disfunctional parents that are co-dependent on you.

crap

Apr 14, 2002, 5:48 AM
Post #11 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is another piece of advice for ya. Don't plan on coming back. One way trips are a lot easier and cheaper to pull off. When you have your mind set on not returning you are free to climb like a person with a terminal illness. Its very freeing, and I've done my best solos this way. You also feel empowered to take advantage of opportunities that you would normally not consider. Such as getting married to that hottie that winked at you in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunatly I skip on my chanse to do that, I wanted to climb another peak. When I came back 3 days later she was gone. Who knows what could have happened. But in any case, why do you have to go home when the trip is done? Make you home wherever you decside to end your trip. I guess this is more of a western attatude, I'm not sure any easterns would understand.

laplaya

Apr 14, 2002, 5:52 AM
Post #12 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap- are u serious about train hopping? I have always wanted to do this and think the rail trip on its own would be a thrilling adventure, but was afraid of where/how I might end up... any statagies on planing such an excursion? if so, please PM me...

LaPlaya

crap

Apr 14, 2002, 6:51 AM
Post #13 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a bunch of reseach on it a year ago and was about to do it when I realized I was too cheap to go to jail. I keep it as a last resort if I absolutely have to get away and not know where.

boogirl

May 1, 2002, 8:10 PM
Post #14 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The March/April 2002 issue of Vbouldering has a cute article on "The Art of Being a Cheap Ass." Here are a few of the ways others have gotten the best bang for their buck:

1. One guy pulled pre-packaged food out of dumpsters.
2. Sperm donation yeilded a little extra money for the road for another.
3. Checking parking areas for the stuff that falls out of cars (money, food, etc.) is always a good idea.
4. Sneak a little extra "to go" at all-you-can-eat buffets.

Also in this issue ->

Surviving in Bishop on Roughly $8/day

and

Road Rules (10 Commandments of Houseguests)

But as for me, my personal favorite cheap meal on the road is to cook up a package of mac 'n cheese then add a can of chilli to it. Protein, carbs all in one - tastes good too.

crazywacky

May 1, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #15 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I htink my brother does a pretty good job of being cheap like that...

He waits till I go on a trip, then he "lets" me pay for the gas, food, and lodging.

I wish I had an older brother...or maybe a "Sugar-Momma". But I don't think my wife would go for the sugar-momma part.

[ This Message was edited by: crazywacky on 2002-05-01 13:38 ]

Partner tim

May 1, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #16 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Own a truck, or steal one, for starters. Who needs to pay for a place to stay, when the Toyota Motel just needs a parking spot? I had forgotten that people actually pay for hotel rooms until my girlfriend (latest edition, the previous one wasn't so pesky) forced me to get a hotel room on a longer road trip (Vermont I think). Couch surfing is also useful.

Scarfing is a talent that all notable roadtrippers eventually acquire. Hint: gluttons deserve to be punished!

It bugs me that there is no hot water in the Yosemite bathrooms. However, hot springs (Mammoth area esp.) offer a fine alternative to a shower, and are free (if you choose wisely).

Pop tarts are much, much cheaper than powerbars and other such nonsense. Cheap-ass store-brand fruit punch concentrate, diluted with 2x the recommended water, with a pinch of salt is actually tastier than Gatorade, and costs a fraction of what it does. It does exactly what oral rehydration salts and Gatorade do, plus it turns your tongue purple.

Come to think of it, when I was working as a research assistant, I used a lot of these tactics simply to make *rent*! Road trips were easy -- just scrape up gas money...

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-05-01 16:08 ]

k2exp2010

May 1, 2002, 9:30 PM
Post #17 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's amazing what you can eat for free out of a Wendy's drive-through window.

"um ... 23 packets of barbeque sauce please"
"what? you want, like, a burger with that?"
"um ... dude ... no. just the packets will do"
"second window"

bradhill

May 1, 2002, 9:44 PM
Post #18 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Word up on the VW Diesels!

Travelling in Canada in October I found that most of the campgrounds in national and Provincial Parks were free that time of year. Big American dollars go a long way up in Canada, too. You can also make it a priority to travel in places stateside where roadside camping is legal. (Alaska...don't have my road atlas at hand to look up others)

On long, straight sections of highway you can draft behind semis and save fuel, but it's dangerous and ruins your view.

I also carry a jerrycan of gas so I can extend my range and not get stuck buying gas in a one-station town.

roadtrip

May 1, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #19 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ex. Yosemite--the parking lot in Curry Village is called the Apple Orchard for a reason, raspberries grow wild next to the river, Coffee Corner is an easy scam if you have your own cup, camp out of bounds(is there any other way?), crust the Pizza Deck(clean tourist's tables for them, so to speak, if you're quicker than the squirrels), and when you go into town don't forget that dogs and cats are almost free at the local Humane Society.

Partner tim

May 1, 2002, 11:06 PM
Post #20 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roadside camping is illegal in the US? (other than places like Josh where the rangers have assault rifles to deal with the meth labs, and Yosemite where they will slap you with a fine if they catch ya) Who knew?

I think I'm going to avoid out-of-bounds camping in Yosemite (rrrAdam pointed out that any incidents could be used as evidence that 'climbers are scum' and 'they don't deserve a voice in planning') but other than that, anywhere I can park my truck counts as a Sweet Bivy. If it's level, so much the better!

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-05-01 16:39 ]

cragchica

May 30, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #21 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could write a novel on living cheaply...

But let me start with a simple didactic tale from my last trip to Red Rocks. I am such a cheap/poor college student that I cringed at the thought of even paying the $20 a night to split a hotel room on the strip for the 3 nights before New Years. But when I heard that there would be people staying at the campground outside town instead, I got some time off work and started looking for a ride. I snagged a ride with a guy who I'd climbed with once before who was travelling up to meet some other Tucsonians in Vegas. I paid my share of gas which turned out to be my greatest expense on the trip. The fact that I was only 18 gave me the excuse to avoid spending money on alcohol and opting out of an expensive trip to the strip in favor of a New Year's eve of bouldering by lantern-light. The campground was expensive, so after minimal coaxing, I had convinced my boyfriend that his comfy Volvo pulled off the side of the road was more adequate than a tent anyway. Every afternoon,we snagged a late lunch of free samples from the Costco down the road. A rainy day turned into a search to avoid paying the $4 for a shower at the local gym. We checked the hotel swimming pools looking for showers, but discovered them all closed for winter. Finally, we hit paydirt when we stumbled upon the Canyon Ranch Spa in the Venetian... We walked in with no questions asked and were handed towels, and robes and locker keys. After pampering ourselves with the free lotions and perfumes we headed back to another romantic night in the Volvo.

geo_climber_18

May 30, 2002, 7:06 PM
Post #22 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to say, get as many friends together to pool in some money, rent as few hotel rooms as possible and cram everyone in, and use the rest for gas, food, and any needed equipment or fees to climb.

cragchica

Jun 1, 2002, 4:30 AM
Post #23 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first 'real climber' I ever knew well vies me for the tightwad throne. I learned a few tricks form him...

Erik's Tuna Salad: Climber Gourmet
(Lean mean and full of protein )

-1 Can of Tuna
-Mustard to taste (I hate mayonnaise) (you can even use free packets snagged from the McDonalds where you stopped to pee)
-whatever green things are available (again, on the road, these can be easily obtained in the form of relish packets from the quickie mart on the interstate) (or for the nature-lovers out there... dandelion greans or other such edible flora)
-salt and pepper to taste
-anything cheap to put it on (toasted day old bread, saltines etc. )

Mix and Serve. Yum!

note:
This recipe may be as gourmet as you like it... dress it up with Grey Poupon, White pepper and celery hearts on Melba toasts for a romantic tightwad dinner... or stick to gas station freebies... it's all up to you

cragchica

Jun 1, 2002, 4:34 AM
Post #24 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Erik lesson #2:

Make lots of friends and be appreciative and you'll always have a place to stay, ride to share, gear to borrow...

Be nice because what goes around comes around

cragchica

Jun 1, 2002, 5:05 AM
Post #25 of 38 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He he he... I can't stay away from this... I have so many ideas!

This one isn't quite road trip cheapness, but it's so cool I have to share.

Working in my lab overlooking the tent when the freshman orientation holds their lunches, I discovered many untouched apples and potato chip bags left from the little ones' prepacked meals. Since I was planning on heading to lunch myself at any minute... I took a slight detour past the tables and snagged some stray fruit. Not wanting to let an opportunity for more free food go to waste, I made a quick trip to the University website to get the orientation schedule. Now I can get free bagels and coffee after orientation breakfasts and free apples and cookies in the afternoon. Thanks U of A!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook