Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wind Rivers Dilema
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbjs

Mar 3, 2004, 2:03 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Wind Rivers Dilema  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Wind_River)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning my first trip to the Winds for August of 2004. Essentially, I've narrowed the "area" to stay as either Deep Lake or the Cirque. I realize that they are relatively close to each other, but would you recomend one over the other for climbs in the 5.easy-5.9 range for a 1 week period? Any other suggestions?
Many thanks.

redpointron

Mar 3, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wind Rivers Dilema [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i can only comment on the cirque. went in august of 99 and had an amazing time. plenty of 5.easy - 5.9. we had intended to do the east ridge on wolf's head (which is in your range), but settled for the south butress of pingora, which i think goes at 5.6, because of bad weather. amazing climb. mostly fourth class scrambling to three 5.6 pitches. rapped in a hail storm and was sunny an hour later. my vote is for the cirque...you won't have wasted your week.

regards

r.r.

mesomorf

Mar 3, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can't really lose either way. Plenty to do in either spot.

Deep Lake is quite a bit easier to get to, though.

munckee

Mar 3, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where can I find more info on this area? I'm thinking of heading to the winds as part of a long summer trip, but I don't know much about it. I'm looking for the same range as posted as well.

hyhuu

Mar 3, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have about 10 days, you can do both areas. It's worth it. Just cache some food at the Big Sandy Lake in the metal bear-proof storage box and pick it up when you switch the area. The hike would be a good climbing break (unless you are taking your fly-fishing poles with you as well). Buy the Hiking and CLimbing in the Wind Rivers Range book, beware that some beta are very vague in there while some are fairly good. Be careful with the weather. Climb on.

brianinslc

Mar 3, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am planning my first trip to the Winds for August of 2004. Essentially, I've narrowed the "area" to stay as either Deep Lake or the Cirque. I realize that they are relatively close to each other, but would you recomend one over the other for climbs in the 5.easy-5.9 range for a 1 week period? Any other suggestions?
Many thanks.

We climbed Wolf's Head from Deep Lake...so...gettin' to the cirque and climbing for a day is doable.

Both are fine choices. Hard to pick one over the other. I'd guess the "classic" climbs in the cirque might see more traffic, but, the cirque is a beauty place too. And, from there, you can access the nice routes on Shark's Nose, etc.

Also depends if you're horse packin' in maybe too. Not sure horses go up to Deep Lake (and its a bit of a fragile area up there...so...). If you're packin' in a mondo base camp, Cirque might be the way to go.

I'd say sixes. Both great spots.

Brian in SLC

munckee

Apr 16, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone offer some more info on the approaches to both areas? I'm planning to hit both deep lake and the cirque for at least six days each this summer. I have the Kelsey guide, but the approach info is kinda confusing.

dewiman

Apr 16, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My two cnts are to stay at Deep Lake. Way less crowded and absolutely beautiful.. From there you must climb Steeple via the NW ridge ( I think?) - 5.8 - 4 pitches and eas leads. Great summit as well. ENJOY.

Brian

thrasher

Apr 17, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #9 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

september would be better. Weather is colder but July/August are murder for skeeters!

nthusiastj

Apr 17, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #10 of 10 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with Hyhuu on this one. He and I did a trip to the Cirque last year. Good routes, good rock, and great scenery!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook