RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

banff

Apr 18, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut

National Parks, Access Question.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not trying to beat a dead issue here, I haven't found a whole lot of info, in regards to, national access information. We were walking through a national park deemed, rock climbing prohibited today, and my question is, can you persuade the government to change an existing lobby, bill, what ever you want to call it? I'm deffinately not the "Law," savvy, especially when it come to national, type.

Before we start, yes I'm a member of the "Access Fund." What I don't want to do is, waste my time pursuing a change, the "Access Fund's" time, nor do I wish to waste the governments time.

In question, the area is in Ohio, close to Hinckley, so there are other places to climb. But this is where my question comes into play. There were at least five potential routes I would like too attempt, but I'm not into poaching lines.

So, do I waste everyone's time, or just let it go?

banff

Apr 19, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Re: National Parks, Access Question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

overlord

Apr 19, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can try, but you probably wont suceed.

so either climb and risk a fine try to persuade or dont climb.

and if its closed for climbing, you probably wont poach somebody project.

brianinslc

Apr 19, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not trying to beat a dead issue here, I haven't found a whole lot of info, in regards to, national access information. We were walking through a national park deemed, rock climbing prohibited today, and my question is, can you persuade the government to change an existing lobby, bill, what ever you want to call it? I'm deffinately not the "Law," savvy, especially when it come to national, type.

I think most all National Parks have their own management plan. They must have a pretty good reason (resource protection probably) for banning rock climbing.

Its worth asking your Access Fund regional rep. They're usually up on the why's and wherefor's.

My experience is that once a climbing and/or management plan gets approved and implemented, its pretty hard to lobby change. But...if anyone has success, its the Access Fund. They know how to effect change.

I'll bet if you asked the park, they'd tell you why rock climbing is not allowed. Before you lobby for access, its a good idea to understand what your up against and the reason for not allowing climbing. Resource protection and vistor experience are, in my opinion, two reasons which drive management plans.

Brian in SLC

banff

Apr 19, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what I figured, that's why I asked for the honest opinion at "RC." Most of why it's protected is for enviromental reasons, and the lack of management, for the area. Which I understand. On the way out I talked with some rangers in regards too. I do appreciate everyones feedback, and who knows, maybe it will happen. But for now, it's just a timing concern with the "Access Fund," which obviously they have bigger issues. Just throwing more logs on their fire.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook