RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

hooligan_dawgs

Apr 15, 2002, 9:36 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Getting started
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've been climbing for more or less a year now and have hit a plateau in my skill level. i've met about 4-5 "advanced climbers and only one was friendly and helpful, but he's been out of it for a couple of months cause of an ankle injury.
I was just wondering if there is a trend here or what, where "advanced" folks don't like to help out the newbies?

rckfreek

Apr 15, 2002, 9:55 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Getting started [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it may be a trend where you are from but out here in Boise Most people are rather freindly. I have not been climbing real long little under a year right now, but most people i have talked to are rather freindly.

As to the platue i haven't been climbing much longer but the key for myself is climb, climb, and climb some more. Then on top of that try new things. Not to long ago i was always a toproper and sticking around on 5.8 5.9's. Now i am leading most up around 5.9 and can get through a modest 5.10 on top rope. My key during the busy times (college) is climb once a week and then work for twice and up to around three times a week. Also keep doing finger and arm work outs. Strengh and style are where it is at.

-Rock Freek-

ryanxsevn

Apr 16, 2002, 12:52 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been seriosly climbing for about 8 months and most of the people i've met have been really cool.

Try your local climbing gym. I've found you can meet alot cool people there.

traddaddy

Apr 16, 2002, 10:32 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be discouraged. Like they said, most climbers are friendly and willing to help out, just keep looking.

andy_lemon

Apr 16, 2002, 11:17 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This traddaddy guy picked my butt up and taught me to climb at Red River Gorge!

ponyryan

Apr 17, 2002, 8:08 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The really good climbers at my local gym are always open for questions. If I get stuck on a move and ask them for help, they take the time to explain the move to me and sit there to see if I can get it. Often times a small crowd will develop to watch a person trying a wall if they've asked about it. I think that adds a ton to the climbing experience, and I am glad that my gym is so friendly (college climbing center, so all the climbers are fellow students). I think most climbers that don't have a natural ego the size of a small nation will help you out. If you ask someone and they're a jerk, don't be discouraged. Ask someone else. If you're in a gym, ask the person running the place. They can be a good source of help, because usually they know climbing in general pretty well. If it's a general climbing question though, one of the best things I've found is something you've already found. Rockclimbing.com.

EDIT: Grammar

[ This Message was edited by: ponyryan on 2002-04-17 17:10 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$52.16 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)