RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

lou_dale

Apr 25, 2004, 9:16 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1868 views)
Shortcut

breathe, relax, it works!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i knew that breathing helped (ok, we all know that one). but before climbing recently, i decided to use some of the techniques from the WW course. before even placing a hand or foot on the stone itself, i took several nice breaths in......to get in touch with my witness as well as nature. then i did something that i wasn't sure would work, but was told it would - i kept a very relaxed facial expression. i had heard that your body will indeed read your face and vice versa and that is true.

i began the route very relaxed by breathing and getting in touch with the witness. this helped me to focus better. then i maintained a very relaxed facial expression. my body is pretty smart.......she read my face. the result was a beautiful climbing experience.....my body stayed very relaxed and i did indeed climb much, much better.......i was more fluid, more in balance and it made the entire experience even better than i ever could have imagined.

little by little, as i see more progress by our learning and journey, i can honestly say - it works.........it really, really works.

LOU

dredsovrn

Apr 25, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Re: breathe, relax, it works! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Were you on a particularly challenging route that you felt you needed to particularly collected? Sounds like it was a great experience regardless of route, just curious.

lou_dale

Apr 25, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Re: breathe, relax, it works! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes and no i guess i could say. we were at red rocks when this all
fell into place for me. one day it was easy routes, the next moderates,
and the next very very challenging ones.

i just learned that whether the route was easy or very challenging - i used the same process and got the same results. i was more focused, more fluid, in balance, and my climbing was in its best form.

because of that, i have since done this all the time. it just makes good practice. what surprised me, although it shouldn't have, was that by keeping a relaxed face, my mind and body just naturally fell into sync and it all worked great.

look at some of our greater photos here on rock climbing and those who have the relaxed faces seem to have relaxed bodies. it's all part of the WW process, remaining calm, breathing properly, focusing, using the witness - and as time has gone on, we have seen we use more and more of the course and it has greatly benefited us in our climbing life.

it works.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook