RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

fbj

Apr 26, 2004, 2:52 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

my "Highline"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so today i got a little bored and decided i needed a little adrenaline. I have been walking my short 30-40 footer for a while and feel confident in my ability, so i decided i want a higher line. I picked two trees about 40 feet apart that had no low branches in the way (these ae substantial trees). So i rig a line approx 20 feet up, in no way a death fall, i am yet to walk it because it started pooring rain but do you thinik that due to the minimalistic hight it would be ok to just have the tight slackline and then a non tensioned line underneath to be redundant? Any advice would be appreciated
~peace Kyle

Partner coldclimb

Apr 26, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: my "Highline" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seperate anchors? I'd do it... but then I have absolutely no experience with highlines at all, so I'm not the one to take advice from. ;)

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Apr 27, 2004, 6:54 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what you guys think of statistics, but I heard that 50% of all falls of just 20 feet are fatal. Just a thought. Like I said , don't know what you guys think of statistics.

My highest line to date was about 7 feet.

and to date I haven't taken a nasty spill, tho surfing once on a looose line, I did bellyflop, didn't hurt, made me laugh, and wish I had a camera.

Partner coldclimb

Apr 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and to date I haven't taken a nasty spill, tho surfing once on a looose line, I did bellyflop, didn't hurt, made me laugh, and wish I had a camera.

Hehe... I've bellyflopped more than once. My worst fall was coming off backwards while surfing though. Caught myself nicely on my hand, which was somewhere between my shoulder blades. ;) Now when me and my non-slacking friends get together, I try to keep the camera handy.

And to explain my last message a bit further, I would do it for this reason: Unless both lines snap, or both anchors lose it spontaneously while you're walking, you're not gonna actually fall from 20 feet. If you fall with a leash, you're gonna wind up five feet or so below the line, and then it's gonna stretch, and if everything goes to hell under the stress then it will have at least paused your fall for a moment, giving you less distance to fall. The likelyhood of two independant lines breaking is small enough alone, though. Heck, at twenty feet, I might even tether up and try it on one line.

This was my reasoning, but then I know hardly anything about highlines. ;) If any of you have the experience to say I'm wrong, please do so.

ammon

Apr 28, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I picked two trees about 40 feet apart that had no low branches in the way (these ae substantial trees). So i rig a line approx 20 feet up, in no way a death fall, i am yet to walk it because it started pooring rain but do you thinik that due to the minimalistic hight it would be ok to just have the tight slackline and then a non tensioned line underneath to be redundant?

This isn't really a highline. Most of us call anything from 40-100 feet a mid-line. 100 feet and higher is considered a highline.

A line 20 feet off the deck is actually really dangerous, especially if you’re tethered into the line. You could easily flip upside down and break your neck before the tether will catch you, depending on how level the ground is, and slack your line is. 30 feet is a little bit safer.

So, I would try and go higher than 20 feet and rig it like a highline, with three different lines. Thread an 11/16” through a 1” and then back it up with another 1”. Might as well make it bomber, right?

In reply to:
I don't know what you guys think of statistics, but I heard that 50% of all falls of just 20 feet are fatal.

This is wrong info. You might be talking about lead falls, or factor 2 falls.... but, as far as I know there has been NO fatalities in slacklining.

Hopefully we can keep it that way.

Cheers, Ammon

Partner coldclimb

Apr 28, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good thoughts Ammon. I never figured one could actually hit the ground from the length of the tether and the stretching at 20 feet. Interesting thing to consider... :?

ammon

Apr 28, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I never figured one could actually hit the ground from the length of the tether and the stretching at 20 feet. Interesting thing to consider...

Yep, I saw someone nearly break their neck while practicing in C4 with a tether from a line around 20' high. They tried to catch the line but missed it.... sending them into a cartwheel affect.

fbj

Apr 28, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is a good point with the hight issue, i guess i will most likely rig it a little high (guess i gotta wip the ladder out again) yeah i know this is not a highline by any standards but its a start thanks for the tips, i hope soon to get on a real highline
~kyle

alderak

Apr 28, 2004, 7:37 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would imagine that that 50% statistic about 20 ft falls would include *any* fall from 20 ft.. whether your painting the side of a house or falling off of a "highline".

Not to say that I agree it is accurate or not... seems high... but 20ft is a long ways to fall.. certainly not a fall I'd volunteer for.

Be sure your trees are solid... higher up you place your lines, the more likely you are to pull them over... heh. Your probably well below that type of power, but ya never know... when clearing land for my family's horses I could pull over 6-8" trees with my 4-wheeler if I attatched the rope high enough... (then ya don't have to dig stumps)

Imagine you have some 2-3' diameter trees goin on, so you should be fine

Other than that.. sounds like fun 8^)

biff

Apr 28, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just a thought ... might it be possible to have a non-tightned line above you as your backup. That way when you fall, it could be much shorter, and no longer risk a ground fall.

Like how this guy did it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=6230

ammon

Apr 29, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just a thought ... might it be possible to have a non-tightned line above you as your backup. That way when you fall, it could be much shorter, and no longer risk a ground fall.

Like how this guy did it.

Sure. But, that take ALL the fun out of it..... Don't you think?

fbj

Apr 29, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah my trees are probably about over four feet in diameter so im not to worried about that, its just that they start to get into the branches that would hamper my slacking abillities the higher i go, and my ladder only reaches so High, and few are able to be set up to jug up a line. Speaking of that anyone have any good tips to get in a tree without a ladder other than jugging up a fixed line? Please dont state the obvious "Climb" for that is almost impossibly due to the conditions. Thanks Kyle

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Apr 29, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just to clear my comment up, that statistic I was spouting was about any falls, I've never heard of any statistic for slacklining, just that one stat about falling in general, course I probably heard it from my mom, and if my mom were president we'd wear helmets while driving ;)

ammon

Apr 29, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right.

Alderak cleared that up for me..... I thought you were talking about slacklines. Haa haa.

Cheers!

alderak

Apr 29, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if the tree has thick bark you could go up there (once, don't do this over and over) lumberjack style, with a piece of webbing around yourself and the tree, and crampons :P

Donno if I would volunteer for that job either :?

I think the big time arborists shoot crossbow bolts over branches with high test fishing line, and then use the fishing line to pull their rope over... again, depends on the type of tree you have...

Maybe you could aid it using trucking straps (the ones with the buckle that you flip over to lock them tight) as pro.... lol :twisted: another interesting job there...

ammon

Apr 29, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe you could aid it using trucking straps (the ones with the buckle that you flip over to lock them tight) as pro.... lol another interesting job there...

Yep, that's the way I have done it before. But, I just used regular slings and girth hitched them above me. Clip your aiders in and leap-frog the slings. It's actually pretty easy depending on how thick the tree is. If it’s really big attach a couple of biners on one side, to add weight and throw them around the tree.

In reply to:
I think the big time arborists shoot crossbow bolts over branches with high test fishing line, and then use the fishing line to pull their rope over... again, depends on the type of tree you have...

I don't think a crossbow is necessary. Use anything that has weight to it and throw it over the branch. You can attach a piece of string to it and then pull the rope up by the string. Tie a loop in one end and feed the other through the loop causing a looped-girth hitch. Then you can jummar up the line. Make sure the branch is solid though.... you wouldn't want it to break on you.

Good luck, Ammon

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook