Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Can someone send me a copy of the stoney ridge guide online.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

scubasnyder

Apr 27, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Can someone send me a copy of the stoney ridge guide online.  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Stoney_Ridge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Can someone send me the guide to stoney ridge online, or scan it on here so i can get it. I cant find it anywhere

rwaltermyer

Jun 23, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Re: Can someone send me a copy of the stoney ridge guide onl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I only have it in hardcopy. But frankly, it doesn't copy well.

Frankly, it would probably be worth the effort to go out there next winter and redo the whole thing. New digital pictures, updated ratings, which IMO are sandbagged... we've discussed this before, old-school ratings + short climbs = hard ratings.... Plus, a lot of the bolted lines are missing.

gblauer

Jun 23, 2004, 6:58 AM
Post #3 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be willing to help document!

roclimb

Jun 23, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sybs.,

I can probably mail you a copy. the area is closed to climbing however so please dont distribute it if I mail it out to you.

The routes that used to be bolted are trad routes that someone retrobolted then someone chopped. PM me if you want the copy

~Rob :D

dontfall

Jun 23, 2004, 9:18 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sybs.,

I can probably mail you a copy. the area is closed to climbing however so please dont distribute it if I mail it out to you.

The routes that used to be bolted are trad routes that someone retrobolted then someone chopped. PM me if you want the copy

Since when? Or has it always been closed? I thought climbing was "tolerated"? :?

roclimb

Jun 23, 2004, 9:45 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya unfortunatly,

It's been closed for over 15-years. In the 80's a boy was killed when he fell from the cliff rock climbing, his mom was with them and she tried to sue the landowner. Shortly after Rich (the guy who did the guide) stopped printing the guide to keep traffic down. Then a red dot was painted on the rock just past The D'Antonio Route, climbing was tolerated untill that point.

At the moment the mining company owns the far end of cliff and the township owns the other, various parts are owned by private landowners farther north at Area 51 (a popular bouldering area). It is unusual for anybody to kick you off the land; however, a friend of mine was approached by a landowner of one of the near by houses two years ago and asked to leave. The poliece have asked people to leave area 51.

Its very unlikely that you would have a problem at stoney, but if you are parked in a bad spot or just in the wrong place at the wrong time you can get nabbed.

Officially the mining co. and town do not allow climbing, they just dont poliece the area so everyone thinks its open. So it is semi tolerated but not legal.

rwaltermyer

Jun 23, 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #7 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ya unfortunatly,

It's been closed for over 15-years. In the 80's a boy was killed when he fell from the cliff rock climbing, his mom was with them and she tried to sue the landowner. Shortly after Rich (the guy who did the guide) stopped printing the guide to keep traffic down. Then a red dot was painted on the rock just past The D'Antonio Route, climbing was tolerated untill that point.

At the moment the mining company owns the far end of cliff and the township owns the other, various parts are owned by private landowners farther north at Area 51 (a popular bouldering area). It is unusual for anybody to kick you off the land; however, a friend of mine was approached by a landowner of one of the near by houses two years ago and asked to leave. The poliece have asked people to leave area 51.

Its very unlikely that you would have a problem at stoney, but if you are parked in a bad spot or just in the wrong place at the wrong time you can get nabbed.

Officially the mining co. and town do not allow climbing, they just dont poliece the area so everyone thinks its open. So it is semi tolerated but not legal.

classic PA access :roll: :roll: :roll:

dontfall

Jun 23, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont mean to hijack the thread here but why start another one when I can just ask in here.

Rob,

You said Area 51 has some bouldering. Is it worth the hike to get to them and if so, whats the ratings on them? Sandbagged like the rest of Stoney?

roclimb

Jun 24, 2004, 9:04 AM
Post #9 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not much of a hike to 51, you pretty much park the car, walk about 2 min. and you are at the boulders. The problem is if a cop comes by and sees your car he will ask you to leave. The problems there range from V0- to V8.

There are a lot of nice problems at Stoney Ridge though. There are some nice problems in the V0 - V8 range as soon as you come in by the firehouse. If you walk down past stump crack there are nice problems down there also, one Hugh Herr put up is a nice roof crack just off the ground. Its a nice V4. And you dont have to worry about getting busted there.

toruga

Jul 31, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Stoney Ridge Guidebook is a COPYWRIGHTED publication. Not only is it ILLEGAL to ask for xeroxed or scanned copies online, but it is poor judgement and very unethical.
The book was a monumental undertaking for Rich Pleiss in 1980, and he would not appreciate you 'stealing' his work.

Jeramie

Aug 26, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toruga] Can someone send me a copy of the stoney ridge guide onl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

[quote "toruga"]The Stoney Ridge Guidebook is a COPYWRIGHTED publication. Not only is it ILLEGAL to ask for xeroxed or scanned copies online, but it is poor judgement and very unethical.
The book was a monumental undertaking for Rich Pleiss in 1980, and he would not appreciate you 'stealing' his work.[/quote]

Is there a place I can buy a copy?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook