Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

supermatt

Apr 28, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 61 (7515 views)
Shortcut

I'm Fat!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got a question about "CALORIC DEFICIT" in order to lose weight.
I guess the easiest way to get an accurate answer for this would be to tell you what i do.

If i do cardio at the gym for 1 hour a day, burning off about 1000 calories as well as lifting for about an hour. If this is the exercise i get every day other than walking from class to class at my college, how many calories should i consume every day in order to LOSE weight?

I am 170 pounds right now and i would really like to get back down to 155-160.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt

slablizard

Apr 28, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Re: I'm Fat!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No sodas.
No Junk food
no sweets
more climbing

usmc_2tothetop

Apr 28, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well first of all, it's good to do strength trainning first and then cardio second. You want your strength or explosive energy for lifting and your endurance for cardio. Remember not to over do it in the gym. You should also try doing reps of 10 or 12 in your workouts that way it's alittle more toward toning. We all know you don't want to get too bulky in climbing. Plus do slow reps. Or more importantly go slow on your "negative" for reps. For each peak of a rep (the point where you go from posotive to negative) try to give a short pause, or just lock it for a second. As for calories. Eat around 2000 or 1500 per day. Try not to eat just 3 big meals in a day. Try to eat small amounts throughout the day to keep your metebolism going. When your at the climbing gym or local crag go crazy on foot work. And slowly work on your crimps. You don't want to over do those. I'm about 180 and I'm trying to get down to 165 / 160. I have strength and my forearms are strong but there were times I would over do my fingers and tendons cause my forearms were not tired. My crimps are much better now and I'm really trying to work on my foot work and leg muscles. It's hard being bulky. I'm about a 5.9 solid 5.8 climber. Good Luck. It seems that you definately have the motivation.

diana

Apr 28, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a troll to me. :nono: How in the world are you burning 1000 calories an hour?

Why don't you read any of the trillions of articles on the Net about weight loss?

overlord

Apr 28, 2004, 5:34 PM
Post #5 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

youd have to find a calorie consumption calculator or a table by wich you can calculate how much energy you use every day.

so when you do know how much you use, you can determine how much you can eat andd still have a deficite.

scubasnyder

Apr 28, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KILL THE DIET

phaedrus409

Apr 28, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a personal trainer who just started using a device that I believe is called the "Body Gem" (forgive me if I got the name slightly wrong). Anyway, she has her clients breath into it for about 10 minutes and it actually calculates your metabolic rate. You can tell exactly how many calories you are burning on a daily basis - no guess work. It might be something worth looking into. It definitely takes a lot of speculation out of dieting.

gds

Apr 28, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #8 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bio physics are clear. One lb =3500 calories - it's the same whether you are gaining or losing weight. So you can do any calculation you want on burnign calories and resticting intake. But for every 3500 calories you burn or reduce intoake you'll lose a lb. (that is 3500 calories relative to your base rate of consumption & activity)
Since most folks consume in the area of 2000 calories a day it is clear that losing weight (not water) takes some work and time.

flashsixteen

Apr 28, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #9 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to excersize, it is not necessarily what you eat, but HOW MUCH. Watch your calorie intake. You can burn 27000 calories a day, but if you are a poster boy for McDonalds or over eating Americans, you won't get anywhere.

overzealous

Apr 28, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well first of all, it's good to do strength trainning first and then cardio second. You want your strength or explosive energy for lifting and your endurance for cardio. Remember not to over do it in the gym. You should also try doing reps of 10 or 12 in your workouts that way it's alittle more toward toning. We all know you don't want to get too bulky in climbing. .

10-12 reps is the ideal range for hypertrophy. Lower rep sets (4-7) will improve neuromuscular coordination and fiber recruitment more than pack more size on the muscle. While it does have its place the 10-12 rep range is not where you should be spending the majority of your time as a climber.

Honestly I don't think size gains are going to sneak up on you unless you're a genetic freak, especially if you're already in a catabolic state due to a caloric deficit.

In reply to:
Plus do slow reps. Or more importantly go slow on your "negative" for reps. For each peak of a rep (the point where you go from posotive to negative) try to give a short pause, or just lock it for a second.

Again... this advice is geared more toward hypertrophy...nothing wrong with that, but I don't feel it is ideal for a climber most of the time.

In reply to:

As for calories. Eat around 2000 or 1500 per day. Try not to eat just 3 big meals in a day. Try to eat small amounts throughout the day to keep your metebolism going.

This is solid advice IMO.

I'm happy to discuss any parts of the above that you disagree with, but I do have a fair amount of experience and knowledge with regard to lifting and general athletic training. Since I started climbing around eight months ago I've dropped from about 195 to about 170-75 with very little loss in strength (either in high rep sets of 1RM strength).

Good luck.

mush

Apr 28, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #11 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To lose one pound of fat requires burning 3500 calories. The way to lose weight is simple: burn more than you consume. Each person has a different rate of metabolism. If you're doing all that cardio and you're not seeing results...try changing up your routines. That means, maybe increase the resistance or the grade; stay away from teh recumbent bikes (they suck), go from the elliptical trainer to the regular bike, treadmills, etc... Also, don't believe what the cardio machines tell you regarding how many calorie's you've burned. They're often wrong. If you want to fat burn on cardio machines, try interval training, or a shorter but faster paced workout. With regards to weight training... around 12 reps is ideal with the last rep being very difficult to complete. Try not to eat within 2-3 hours before bed. Try not to eat carbs after around 6 pm and stay away from simple sugars unless you really need energy fast. Whole grain breads, pasta's and such are great carbs to eat. Also, get some sleep. Your body needs sleep to regenerate muscle and to burn calories.

Hope this helps...

Eric

mush

Apr 28, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #12 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding the reps, low reps will definitely gain you strength but will at the cost of endurance. Pick and choose what ya need.

supermollie33

Apr 28, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #13 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently lost twenty pounds by doing the following.

No Soda...maybe a diet soda once every couple of weeks
Lots of real food-Tons of salads with healthy dressing
I said so long to chips and cookies and switched to fruit and yogurt for snacks
Eat a lot of fiber and protein..you will feel full longer
I did one hour of cardio a day 5 to six days a week.
A trainer told me to do 15 -20 minutes of cardio and then to alternate my strength training with a 60 second cardio burst. It makes your strength training burn more calories and keeps your heart rate up.
If you have the working out covered, I think most importantly it is changing your diet. I eat about 8 times a day, but eat small healthy meals.
I drink a lot of green tea too, something I do anyway, but is said to help curb the appitite and I have found that to be true.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!

mush

Apr 28, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #14 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diet pop has only 1-2 calories. So you can drink that ... in moderation of course. Too much caffeine isn't good.

overzealous

Apr 28, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #15 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also like to recommend "Performance Rock Climbing" for training information. At the suggestion of a number of people on this board I recently got this book and am very impressed with the approach it takes to training.

It's probably a more technical approach than a beginning climber needs, but it can't hurt to start thinking about a long term training system early - even if for the time being you can continue to gain just by climbing a lot.

mush

Apr 28, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #16 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of training advice, I've only been climbing for 3 1/2 weeks ... but i've been in martial arts for 11 years and have weight trained since i was 15 (now 23). *shrug* I can give physical advice... but I know jack about climbin'; other than it's killer hard, a sick workout, and a tonne of fun.

Eric

sandbag

Apr 28, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #17 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Diet pop has only 1-2 calories. So you can drink that ... in moderation of course. Too much caffeine isn't good.

Actually its quite a bit more, but they are willing to pay the fines for false advertising that have a limited statutory amount for the fine, so its a good ROI for them, spend a million on fines, make billions on not really calorie free soda. :roll:

sticky_fingers

Apr 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #18 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supermatt,
Quite your crying; you're not fat. You know who's fat? John Dunn. You know how hard he climbs? 5.14s -- gritstone. I feel big at 200+lbs, but that guy's way heavier than me. You wanna lose weight? Go on trim-spa: if it worked for Anna Nicole's fat a$$ I'm sure it'll work for you.

Seriously, how tall are you? Nobody's gonna wanna tell how to drop to 155-160 if you're like >6', that's just unhealthy.

usmc_2tothetop

Apr 28, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #19 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also some guy who climbs in Mexico I think and he looks like he is about 205 / 210....hek maybe more. I have seen his pic on this sight and he can climb like 5.12's if not harder. I don't know how but I definately know that I can climb harder than 5.9 if I work at it.

wannabelaybabe

Apr 29, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #20 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If i do cardio at the gym for 1 hour a day, burning off about 1000 calories as well as lifting for about an hour. If this is the exercise i get every day other than walking from class to class at my college, how many calories should i consume every day in order to LOSE weight?

I am 170 pounds right now and i would really like to get back down to 155-160.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt

there is no way you are working off 1000 cal in one hour on any cardio machine. you can't trust those readouts. they can be off as much as 25%. i also find it hard to believe you possibly running for a solid hour at an 8min/mile pace (that's 7.5 miles at roughly 80 cal per mile... that's only 600 cals).
also, it is your preference as to cardio first or second. some people say you need your strength for a "good" weight workout, then tire out with cardio. but if you feel adequate doing it reverse... then go for it.

if you are serious in losing weight. start keeping a food journal. track everything!! even the handful of chips you grab real quick as you head out the door, and the beers you down at happy hour.
after that i recommend the "USDA's Interactive Healthy Eating Index." this is an online food journal. it is free. it is slow to enter everything in, but this will give you a better idea on how many cals you are consuming.
and if you have a girlfriend, sneak a peek at her weight/shape magazines. you can find some interesting "tips." i dont read men's health mags, so i can only offer mags i know about. :)
hope this gets you started on the right track :)

badass

Apr 29, 2004, 1:36 AM
Post #21 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay out of McDonalds and no more Angus Beef!!!

oldeclimber

Apr 29, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #22 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not the beef that's the problem, it's the growth hormones, steroids and antibiotics in the beef (poultry and pork too). That is why McDonald's is forcing all of there suppliers to go organic within the next couple of years. Not sure of the exact deadline.

valeberga

Apr 29, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #23 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's pretty simple. Eat only three times a day, and when you do, eat less than would fill you up. If you stop eating when you feel like you can definitely eat more, you are on the right track.

gravitytheory

Apr 29, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #24 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want a cookie, Fattie?

But seriously, chill man--eat healthy and live an active life-style and you will reach your ideal body-weight.

Partner tim

Apr 29, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #25 of 61 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Carbonic acid will rot the enamel right out of your teeth, and aspartame encourages an insulin spike in some people. Better to avoid soda pop.

I hate the stuff, so this is not hard for me...

One of the best pieces of advice anyone ever gave me is to eat the same sorts of food (eg. low glycemic index) on long routes (eg. during exercise -- whether it be bicycling, climbing, or whatever) as you would for a meal. If you're already eating sane meals (salad, lean protein, vegetable) this ends up making you feel full with a much lower caloric intake, and without significant oscillations in your blood glucose level. A consistent level of energy at whatever intake you settle upon is pretty important.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of glycemic index, there is a $7 book on the subject that you should purchase or peruse when making choices. Actually, I just found this website discussing the glycemic index and its utility in weight loss which is more objective, so go there instead. The short version is, lower-GI foods produce a steady release of glucose into the bloodstream, whereas higher-GI foods provoke insulin release and fat storage unless the glucose is IMMEDIATELY utilized. Obviously, a person wishing to lose body fat may prefer low-GI foods. The caveat (there is ALWAYS a caveat) is that GI values for individual foods apparently do not map cleanly onto mixed meals. But it's an OK starting point (IMHO) and something that has helped me maintain steady energy.

When I was chopping weight for wrestling and judo, my methodology was simple -- work out on the same 2-3x a week schedule for strength, but increase my running to something like 90 minutes, 5 times a week. And eat a piece of fruit in the morning, a meal bar during the day, and a small piece of meat with a vegetable for dinner. I was probably consuming 500 calories a day (and drinking a ton of water). Right before weigh-ins I would drop the rest of the water weight and immediately restore it after making weight. I was probably about 5% bodyfat at that point (I was only 12% when I was 'fat' in the offseason), and I was able to drop 2-3 pounds per week without noticeable loss of strength. Of course, by the end of the season, I was cold all the time and had no more fat to burn. But most people will probably be perfectly happy chopping 10-20 pounds, which under this sort of a regimen takes about 1-2 months. What I didn't realize at the time was that the fiber in the fruit, the meal bar, and the vegetable I had for dinner, along with the protein in the meat, was contributing to a very low overall GI for my diet, allowing me to get away with a much lower caloric intake without feeling like I was starving. This is key.

I replicated these results as recently as 2 years ago when I dropped 10 pounds in 1 month with no muscle atrophy. The routine was the same -- Odwalla for breakfast after climbing+gym (fruit juice thingy), meal bar during the day, semi-reasonable dinner (usually a burrito or shawarma). Went from 185# to 175# in 5 weeks and bumped up a number grade.

I'm going to have to do this again this summer, since I am (yet again) out of shape. Too much studying and code hacking, not enough alpine routes. I have upped my runs to 3x per week and will bump them to 5x per week once finals are over, in addition to swimming 2x per week and climbing as much as possible. Things should be different this fall... :-)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook