RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

steelfoot

Apr 28, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Competition Start-Up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in western Kentucky and there are not any events, competitions, or gatherings near by. My wife is a community representative for the American Cancer Society (ACS) and their signature event is Relay for Life (RFL). They also have Sports Against Cancer events. This can be anything from a billiards tournament to a basketball tournament. The local TV station contributes the advertising for free and the event is insured by ACS.

I was wondering how much planning would have to go into having a climbing event. There isn't any rock in the immediate vicinity so it would have to be artificial. But a gathering can be planned for the following day in one of the surrounding crags. We're @1hr 30min from the Southern Illinois crags, and 1hr 15mins from the Dawson Bluffs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this idea.

climbhigh2005

Apr 29, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Re: Competition Start-Up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its a great idea... I live in TN, and am willing to help in anyway possible... So are you suggestion to have a climbing competition like the RFL (I have participated in the past years)... ? Or just a day of climbing none stop and having a comp sometime in between for fun?

el_trevor

Apr 30, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in georgetown ky , but i attend usa comps twice a month there usually pretty good , just some info if you want to attend

www.usclimbing.org

theres an event this sat in cinnci

jkarns

Apr 30, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having planned an outdoor comp before, here's what I can share...

The first issue will be coordinating with the land managers for these areas and convincing them that this is a good idea. it helps that you are thinking fundraiser and not for-profit. you will need plenty of time to cut through all the red tape.

Since you have insurance covered, one big headache is gone.

Is there a place for participants to camp? Do you need to have discussions with that land manager?

While the free TV advertising is great, it porbably wont reach many climbers. You'll need to do advertising otherwise.

How do you plan to handle registration? What will the entry fee be? Will particpants get any freebies (t shirts, food, etc.)?

Call all potential sponsors way earlier than you think you'll need to. They have a tendency to be really slow.

You certainly have significent costs involved in pulling off the event. How many participants will you need to hit the break even point?

How many can the crag handle?

I'd be happy to help share any advice that I can dig out of the back of my head...

fiend

Apr 30, 2004, 3:23 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you have a gym that's willing to host then it's not that hard to host a comp.

Correction... it's a fair bit of work to strip and set for a comp, but the planning is relatively easy. Check out the ABS site (http://www.rockcomps.com/) and look up their setter and organizer tips. Also check out the format they use.

Keep in mind that attendance will likely be small at first, so aim for providing fun over an ultra-professional comp and it should go off well.

As for sponsors, just start calling around and begging :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook