Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
is it worth the trip to boulder in central park?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cantclimbforsht

Apr 29, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #1 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

is it worth the trip to boulder in central park?  (North_America: United_States: New_York: New_York_City: Central_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i live in baltimore and cant drive yet. But there is a bus that goes up to nyc in the morning and comes back in the evening, so i could do that and i was thinking of going to new york for a day to boulder. But is bouldering in central park worth a couple hours on the bus? Is the bouldering actually good, or is it just cool because its in NYC?

cantclimbforsht

Apr 29, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Re: is it worth the trip to boulder in central park? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone?

atg200

Apr 29, 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the bouldering is good and its unique to boulder in such an urban setting, but i don't think its good enough for a really long day trip by itself. you would be better off finding a way to the gunks and bouldering there. its easy enough to catch a bus to new paltz from NYC.

keinangst

Apr 29, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Southwest flies direct here to B'ham from BWI. For about $150 ticket, you can camp at HorsePens 40 for $5 a night and still come out better than a daytrip to NYC with lunch :D

Unless you're into that whole "horns honking/bad attitude" scene, in which case you should go ahead to Gotham :wink:

moeman

Apr 29, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ABZ. You live in north of baltimore, so aren't you pretty close to Rocks State Park? Maybe like, a half hour? Theres some damn good bouldering there, way better (and closer) than anything in NYC. Just try to bum a ride there with someone.

I'll probably be up there at Rocks on Sunday if the weather's decent. I'm planning to lead Strawberry Jam (I've gone from newbie gym rat to newbie trad climber since the summer).

studiggity

Apr 29, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NYC is certainly worth the day trip but I wouldn't go there just to boulder. There are a few fun problems in Central Park but not enough to travel for. Basically if you happen to find yourself in NYC on a nice day then you should certainly head up to the park and check out what's there but don't go out of your way to do so. I live in Baltimore as well and honestly I would rather climb at EarthTreks Timonium than central park. Also keep in mind that the bus takes almost 5 hours in traffic to get from Baltimore to NYC so it would be a long day trip.

Hmmm lets see. If I were you I would try to get a way up to Governors Stable in PA. It is about an hour away and has MUCH better bouldering.

cantclimbforsht

Apr 29, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the help. i guess i wont make the trip just to climb but hopefully i'll be up in nyc sometime soon anyway so i'll try to get some climbing in then. I know there are places to climb closer, but there isnt a bus that goes to any of them. All my friends drive, but not too many of them climb so its hard getting rides to climbing places. I'll be getting my license soon but meanwhile i'll just have to trespass on some property around my house. The "no tresspassing" signs are really pretty to look at while you climb. They add a touch of color to the forest.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook