RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

djpuckle

Apr 19, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Even rescues can be dangerous
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Much respect to those that put their lives on the line to save the lives of other people (they don't even know) stuck on the sides of cliffs. We all know the danger they face when they have to help people get down. Now I can't speak spanish, but this is sort of self-defining!

*WARNING*This clip shows injury durring rescue, please don't look if you don't want to see how quickly things can go completly wrong!

http://www.dc101.com/timages/article/rockclimb.mpeg

fishypete

Apr 22, 2002, 11:07 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Even rescues can be dangerous [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont speak spanish either, but could pick out some words...

It was on the border of france and spain, and those two guys were actually being lifted off the rock by helicopter (you can see one guy signalling to be lifted at the start).

That is a bone-chilling clip. I still get the shivers when it runs through my mind.

Fishy.

daisuke

Apr 22, 2002, 12:30 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do speak spanish, they were two firemen who were aparently demonstrating a high mountain rescue, both men lived but with multiple fratures and one with brain trauma... one word... OUCH

D

phil_nev

Apr 22, 2002, 2:14 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know what else to say except that thank god they are all right...

daisuke

Apr 22, 2002, 2:24 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at one point I thought they were dummies when they reached the bottom of the cliff because they're like rag dolls flopping around, then I turned on the audio and heard the story.

I can't imagine how much that hurts!

djpuckle

Apr 22, 2002, 2:30 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's kina sick, but if you slow it down you can actually see one of their heads knock a chunk of rock off the wall near the bottom of the fall.

mauta

Apr 22, 2002, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very impressive....
Fortunately, the are alive.
By the way, was the rope anchored to an helicopter? Any details about what did fail? It seems the rope just detached from its anchor point...How could this happen????

JUAN

ponyryan

May 5, 2002, 1:49 AM
Post #8 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOS DOS SOBREVIVE?????????????? Que loco! The two survived! That's crazy. The one looked as if his neck was made of rope, that's wicked nasty. Thanks for the post though, makes you think of the seriousness of any fall, and to NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER EVER, EVER, think you can take a shortcut with safety procedures or anything like that. Smiley to keep this forum from being too gloomy:

kelownaclimber

May 5, 2002, 1:54 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word OUCH!!!!

kman

May 7, 2002, 8:38 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DAMN! It's amazing what people can live through.

overlord

May 7, 2002, 9:15 AM
Post #11 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a terrible accident in Slovenia about five years ago during a mountain rescue practise. I believe that when they were heli-lifting the "rescuees" from the wall they forgot to unclip from the anchors or has the hellicopter touched the wall with its rotor. I cant remeber.

Well anyhow, about ten people died, including the first (and the best) m.d. who has gone to the rescues to give on-site F.A. He was the founder of our, how should i call it, you know, the physitians who go with the rescuers. It was a terrible loss.

Hope i told this right. If not, please correct me.

CLIMB ON

hornj

May 13, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This clip reminds me of a rescue my guard unit did on Mount Shasta a couple of years ago. A climber had fallen and broken his leg at about 11,500 feet on the mountain. Our unit was called to hoist the man off the mountain. This requires that the pilots hold a hover as the flight medic is lowered to the rescue scene by the crew chief on the high performance rescue hoist. All went well until the climber was straped on with the medic and the crew chief started to hoist them up. About half way up the pilot called out that the number one engine's turbine gas temperature had reached 845 degrees and the crew chief realized the helicopter was about to lose the power to maintain a hover so he started to lower the the climber and medic to the ground. At this point the rotor speed started to bleed off and the helicopter started to settle to the ground. The medic and climber hit the slope and started to roll down the mountain much like in the video. I believe the the ground rescuers grabbed the hoist cable and stopped the medic's and climber's fall and at the same time the helicopter regained power 30 feet short of impacting the hillside. The rescue was completed after the helicopter flew around for a half hour and burned off extra fuel.
Though this is a scary example of what can go wrong, if you find yourself having to be hoisted from a mountain, it is extremely important to follow the flight medic's and crew chief's instructions.

[ This Message was edited by: hornj on 2002-05-16 11:41 ]

robscate

May 15, 2002, 5:32 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thougth I'd relate a personal experiance: I was involved in a rescue where my patient was being hosted out of the bottom of the canyon. (The local emergency helicopter is equipt with a hoist), winds in this canyon can be tricky and a gust picked up quickly and swung the flight medic into a tree top, if the pilot had not pulled up suddenly I would have need to climb a tree to rescue a flight medic. I love those hoist helicopters but man, they can be scary.

Rob c

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook