RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

natec

Apr 19, 2002, 5:44 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Euro climbing stores and U.S. Customs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have looked the site over and couldn't find any other posts about this.

A local store "Gaurantees the lowest price," so I asked them to compare with Sportextreme and Barrabes.

The owner told me that while the prices that these stores charge may be lower, I would receive a huge bill from U.S. Customs for my purchases from these stores.

I know that several people on this site have purchased from Sportextreme and Barrabes. Has anyone been billed by Customs?

He also told me that Sportextreme is currently not allowed to ship to the US?

Anyone know anything about this?

Partner russman

Apr 19, 2002, 5:57 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Euro climbing stores and U.S. Customs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

since I just landed them as an advertiser...I have been looking at thier site. If you click a link and go to their site...you can see the shipping and rates and proabaly answer your questions.

But better yet, they have a toll free number I am sure you could call them and voice your concers and see what they say.

I am guessing your local store is trying to scare you and make you buy from his higher priced sotre

natec

Apr 19, 2002, 6:01 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure he was. He isn't a very trustworthy business man. I just wanted to know the scoop. And get some opinions from the members of this site on their experiences.

rck_climber

Apr 19, 2002, 6:08 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That store owner is full of crap. He's just scared he'll have to match the price.

I did the same thing to a store here in the Springs. I went in and asked if they matched prices, and they said yes. I specifically asked if they matched prices on the internet and they, again, said yes - however, they would include shipping because, according to the manager, that's where they usually make up the difference. We all know, though, that sportextreme.com is extremely fair in their shipping charges.

You should have seen the look on the guy's face when I pulled out a printed order slip with my Boreal Aces on it for $72 INCLUDING shipping! He went through the frickin' roof! He backpeddled alot and started saying that it was below what their cost was and that it was just too low for them to match.

I stood my ground though, and told him that they would have their hands full with the BBB if they did not honor their commitment to match prices as it's false advertising.

Moral of the story: I got my aces for $72. Just continue to push them.

Make sure you print an order slip out from the site that shows they will, in fact, ship to the US and straight to your house. There are no real "customs" fees, as sportextreme.com (as part of their OUTSTANDING customer service) includes all that in the shipping charges.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Edit: The Aces at that store sold for $150. The store has since changed their policy regarding matching internet prices - they don't do it anymore .

[ This Message was edited by: rck_climber on 2002-04-19 11:11 ]

tcollins

Apr 19, 2002, 6:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This might help:
http://www.sportextreme.com/Se_Shop/HelpDesk/Shipping_rates_and_policies.page.KategoriID.211_FreightArea.3_index.html

rck_climber

Apr 19, 2002, 6:20 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also found this on the home page of www.sportextreme.com from clicking on the banner ad:

Quote:12. April - Sales tax ?
All the prices you find in the Sportextreme shop are when delivered in Europe and USA:
incl. VAT
incl. TAX
incl. Custom
In other words THE PRICE YOU SEE IS THE PRICE YOU PAY

Mick

traddaddy

Apr 19, 2002, 7:08 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad, he sounds like an ass.
However, you should buy your gear from the local climbing store, if you don't then sooner or later there won't be a local climbing store.
When the local climbers need help, funds, access, etc. Who do you think will be willing to help out your local area? The local climbing shop or Barrabes.com?

Just my $0.02

trad

lostangel

Apr 19, 2002, 7:28 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sportextreme and Barrabes...

I just recived a T-shirt I bought from
Sportextreme 2 days ago, they charged me 5$ shipping and it is like that no matter how much you order

I recived Cobras from Barrabes a week and a half ago and they charged 10$ shipping.

HE wants you to buy at his store!! And is Obviously a LIAR!

Ive also gotta add that I was surprised at how fast I recived the stuff from Barrabes, They are awsome!

fo_d

Apr 20, 2002, 3:26 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have ordered from sportextreme and my freind has ordered from them. there was no hidden cost. the shop owner is scared of this type of business as he should be. Sometimes I worry that I am helping destroy an American business by buying from these places, but they carry the same products, why cant our local shops sell them for the same price or close to it? I dont have a lot of money, I have to stretch it as far as possible.

Les

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook