Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Weird Calf Bruise from Heel Hooking - Help Me Diagnose?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

gradstudentclimber

May 6, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Weird Calf Bruise from Heel Hooking - Help Me Diagnose?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a weird calf bruise from heel hooking over a roof that just got worse this morning with a new bruise appearing. If anyone can help me diagnose it and save an expensive trip to the doctor for a one-minute poke-and-prog(nosis), I'd appreciate it.

Two weeks ago I had some time to kill and stopped by the Galyan's store in Omaha, Nebraska to climb their wall. It has a pretty big overhanging roof, so with hands on jugs underneath the roof I hooked my right heel (using the handy-dandy Mad Rock Flash molded hooking heel) above the roof and cranked up to the next hold. I completed the move just fine, felt no pain, and lowered. Upon reaching terra firma, the pain began. Not too bad at this point, but later touching the area hurt pretty bad. Laid off climbing for a week.

Then on Saturday of last week (four days ago) noticed a really juicy bruise four inches in length and two in breadth about six inches above the ankle. Didn't tell my wife about it because then my trip that day to Blue Mounds would have been in serious question. :-) Performed fine at the crag, with only pain occurring when walking or scrambling uphill.

Now, this morning, another bruise mysteriously appears on the left side of my right calf. Five inches long and one inch in breadth.

Do I have something torn and bleeding in there? What should I do about it?

petsfed

May 6, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weird Calf Bruise from Heel Hooking - Help Me Diagnose? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is my expert opinion that you...

Have been abducted by aliens!

In all seriousness, a bruise on your calve, without any pain at the time you thought it started, is indicative of something far worse than a botched heel hook. Consult a licensed physician at your soonest convenience.

cloudbreak

May 6, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what your saying is you bruised a weird, young cow while you were hell hooking?!?

gradstudentclimber

May 6, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So what your saying is you bruised a weird, young cow while you were hell hooking?!?
That's exactly what I'm saying! I was describing a new cow-tipping technique we've developed here in Nebraska, and trying to cleverly disguise my bovine beta in the form of a medical question to avoid unwanted attention from The Fuzz. Now the secret's out.

moeman

May 6, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In all seriousness, a bruise on your calve, without any pain at the time you thought it started, is indicative of something far worse than a botched heel hook. Consult a licensed physician at your soonest convenience.

I agree. It could be something a lot worse than a bruise, so why risk it? You probably just pulled something nastily, but who knows? What if it were a blood clot? If it still hurts in a couple days, definately see a doctor.

But since you are a grad student, couldn't you just go to some on-campus health center (Student Health) for a free and convienient poke & prog?

gradstudentclimber

May 6, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But since you are a grad student, couldn't you just go to some on-campus health center (Student Health) for a free and convienient poke & prog?

Good point, and timely, too, as tomorrow's the last day of the semester. Even though here at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln they call it the "University Death Center," I'll give it a shot. They did a great job picking the gravel out of my palms following my uneven application of pressure on the old bicycle brake levers during my undergrad years ... stupid van driver, who does he think he is backing out of a parking spot in front of me?

kinslerar

May 6, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like your bruise is just healing and the blood that collected at the contusion is being broken down and draining down your leg. If it isn't causing you pain when you contract and stretch your calf muscle I wouldn't worry about it too much.

gradstudentclimber

May 6, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It sounds like your bruise is just healing and the blood that collected at the contusion is being broken down and draining down your leg. If it isn't causing you pain when you contract and stretch your calf muscle I wouldn't worry about it too much.
A helpful point, but it sounds like I didn't describe the bruise locations accurately enough. The new bruise is actually above the old one. When I've got my right leg crossed over my left leg and look down at the right leg, the new bruise is "on top" and the old bruise is down and to the left of it.

Partner sauron

May 6, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do I have something torn and bleeding in there? What should I do about it?

Probably, and go see a doctor.

- d.

davidji

May 6, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's exactly what I'm saying! I was describing a new cow-tipping technique we've developed here in Nebraska
I don't know what wierd cow-tipping stuff y'all do up in Nebraska, but down here it's strictly 15%.

luke

May 7, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, so it is unrelated, but years ago a friend of mine came to class one day with a hickey. we teased him a bit, and his girlfriend a bit more, especially when the next day it was bigger. two days later it was about half the size of a dinner plate and we checked him into the hospital with a platelet count of about 3% of what it should be. Turned out he had some weird thing go wrong that messed with the platelets - if he had got a serious injury at that time he might have bled to death because the blood wouldnt clot.

Oh, and I'd get the bruise checked out. Sounds like you did injure something in there, and although there is likely nothing they can do, you'll feel better just knowing.

jason1

May 7, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you been taking Ibprofin? If so knock it off... you're probablly taking to much. large abnormal bruising can definatly be caused by ibprofin, and other non-steroidals.

gradstudentclimber

May 7, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
have you been taking Ibprofin? If so knock it off... you're probablly taking to much. large abnormal bruising can definatly be caused by ibprofin, and other non-steroidals.
Nope, the pain's not bad enough to need any painkillers. Really minor pain, actually, considering how big and nasty-looking and long-lasting the bruises are. But got a suggestion in a private message that it might be blood clot, and that suggestion will have me at the University Death Center asking for an ultrasound bright 'n' early tomorrow.

Many thanks to everyone who wrote to share their advice on calf health and cow tipping. :D

gradstudentclimber

May 8, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It wasn't a blood clot! I'm fine.

The doc said the older bruise must have been a blunt trauma from the original heel hook, and the new bruise was from a vein that was slightly damaged by the heel hook, and got more damaged and eventually popped as I weighted it walking, riding and climbing.

I got in and out of the health center in 30 minutes without an appointment, and my student fees cover it. Quite the deal!

Thanks to everyone for sharing advice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook