RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

iamthewallress

May 12, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2409 views)
Shortcut

The Barking Dogs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Approval, affirmation, someone saying you’re right, you’re on the right track, you’re doing the right thing is how we learn. The hard point is that none of us will ever really be satisfied with somebody else’s standard of practice. We don’t have their imperative, their death, their life, but we do have our own. When we trust that, we can’t go wrong. Dogen reminds us not to be swayed by criticism either: We know that there are dogs that bark at good people. Don’t worry about those barking dogs, and don’t resent them either. It is better to say to them, “You beasts, awaken your Buddha-seeking mind!

I like the idea of not worrying about the barking dogs and not resenting them...Do you really think that it's worthwhile to give 'the barking dogs' feedback, though? Is it better to just block out the barking and leave them to their own path and perceptions?

lou_dale

May 12, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2409 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Barking Dogs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

everybody has an opinion, whether you agree or not......it is theirs and it is their right to have it just like we have ours.

my practice has become to smile and say nothing....acknowledge them but never confront or antagonize or disagree or even agree.......it's their opinion, their thoughts - and i have the same right to mine.

i've been under a huge amount of criticism over the years - and wisdom just teaches me to draw from the warrior experience........take a deep breath in and release it, along with any negative thoughts - and the feedback goes along with it.

let them bark........you can just smile and be the best you that you can be and be happy with that........that's all that really matters.

with me - i have my life partner (and of course MY DAWG).....i have their support and love - and as long as i have that - i have everything. besides, when we confront the barkers, sometimes - they can bite.

i'm older so i don't heal as well as i used to - best to just let them bark away.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook