RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

timstich

May 14, 2004, 2:30 PM
Post #1 of 2 (782 views)
Shortcut

Guanella Pass quite passable
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I drove up to Guanella Pass today (5-14-04) to look for some snow slopes to try my axe and crampons out on. My boots have finally broken in and they were quite comfy. I saw snow up on the subpeak of Squaretop to the west. Before I knew it I was really close to the summit of the little 12739 bump. It's an easy hike. Lots of snow up there, but lots of exposed rock to walk on.

The snow packs I walked on consisted of what looked like six inches of powdery snow with sun crust on top of hard snow in increasing density as you go down. The layers seemed to be reasonably well consolidated, but I'm no expert so take that with a grain of salt. I saw no evidence of recent slides. Bierstadt and Sawtooth were absolutely majestic in the distance. I summited my ridge at 12:30 and got off before a snow shower came in from the northwest. While I was up there I completely forgot about the balogna down on Earth. On the way home some guy jumped in front of the truck at a crosswalk and I nearly ran him over. So why did I come home again?

timstich

May 14, 2004, 2:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (782 views)
Shortcut

Re: Guanella Pass quite passable [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's exactly why we go, and especially go solo.

Did you bring a shovel and dig a pit? That's pretty key to determining what's going on with the underlayers.

No. I just used my adze. It's not far to get there from the apartment. Just 55 miles.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook