RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

psalmadventurer

Apr 23, 2002, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

cheap bouldering pad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am sure there is a message on this board somewhere about this, if only I could be directed to it...thanks. When I go to Colorado this year I am looking into doing mostly bouldering, therefore I need a crash pad. The cheapest I have really seen is like $90. But, does anyone know of cheaper? thanks.

boogirl

Apr 23, 2002, 5:57 PM
Post #2 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

cheap bouldering pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where you've been looking but that sounds like a pretty good price to me. You can buy cheap off the internet but once you add all the postage and handling charges, it's just about the same price as supporting a local vendor with your purchase. Be sure to compare products and buy what best suits your needs. The location of buckles and such can make a big difference. Keep in mind, a bouldering pad can double as a great ground pad at bedtime.

findaway

Apr 23, 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're thinking of the Moutain Equipment Co-op pad. Canadian company so it would be cheap for those of you south of the border. The pad is $148 Canandian, I have one and although it's my first pad I am really happy with it. Check it out for yourself at mec.ca, I don't know what the shipping would be like to the States but good luck.

Paul

redzit

Apr 23, 2002, 6:35 PM
Post #4 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i really suggest you get a good pad and not go so cheep. the last thing you want to have is to land on you pad only to find a sharp rock under the pad you can feel. get a good one and avoid Painful accidents
PS. if money is short, ask dad, tel him you need it to stay safe, if that does not work, tell mom you could get hurt.

dimeedge

Apr 23, 2002, 10:55 PM
Post #5 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

90 bucks is cheap. When I first started shopping for a pad, I was thinking the same thing, "wow, these things are really expensive". Then I started pricing materials, and to make something as nice as you can buy it would cost about $70, then you still have to put it together.
And now, after 100s, maybe 1000s of drops onto my pad, and several nights crashed out, or taking a mid day siesta, using it for a belayers couch... the $150 I spent dosent seem like much.

Chad

Partner russman

Apr 23, 2002, 11:23 PM
Post #6 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree that you should not look for teh cheapest pad only, take everything in mind; size, thickness, the way it folds up shoulder straps. I just bought my pad. And still have yet to take it out and break it in. But I am very happy with my purchase, in fact I told the guys at Franklin I would do a review on it. You can see it here, and check out the pix in my album also.

There is another topic on this type of stuff here also.

[ This Message was edited by: russman on 2002-04-23 16:25 ]

rock_diva

Apr 23, 2002, 11:42 PM
Post #7 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing to look at when you are buying online is shipping fees. Some sites will waive shipping fees if you spend over $100 (like bittersweet.com - which also has daily discounts... I ended up paying $115 total for a NICE pad...)

If you calculate the money saved when you don't have to pay taxes or shipping, a more expensive pad is really cheaper.

beyond_gravity

Apr 24, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #8 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what do you guys think of THIS PAD???

It's cheap and it seems good.

[ This Message was edited by: beyond_gravity on 2002-04-23 18:35 ]

spike_in_milton

Apr 24, 2002, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the MEC store in T.O. last week looking at that pad, and frankly it seemed a little too soft and floppy for my tastes. Too much open-cell foam. They had another one (which isn't in their @$%#ing catalogue or website) that was around $190 or 200 CDN that looked far superior, and probably the one I'm going to buy.

You're in Calgary, MEC's got a store in Calgary... go in and take a good hard look at them both.

cheers,
Spike/Adam

beyond_gravity

Apr 24, 2002, 2:02 AM
Post #10 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya I've looked at them. I think your talking about either the Metolise or flashed one. The reason there not in the catalouge ne more is cuz they dont sell it anymore, like thoughs are just old ones. They only sell the Mec and Cordless one now. What one do you people recomend getting??

Thanks,
Jeremy

boretribe

Apr 24, 2002, 2:58 PM
Post #11 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I haven't seen the MEC pad, I would definitely not recommend it. It is described as having only open cell foam. This means, if you want to get any height while bouldering, an increased possibility of bruised heels and twisted ankles to say the least. You need to get a pad that has a good amount of closed cell foam as well. I've got a Metolius XL crash pad and love it.

Since your on a budget, check out Gear Express' sale on the Metolius Regular Crash Pad for $99.95 + $4.95 shipping. (just click on the GearExpress add banners on this site, the pads are under 'Accessories'). They have a great price on the XL size as well ($159.95). Get the biggest one you can afford, they start looking very small the higher you get.

Until you can afford one, focus on bouldering traverses they're fun and build strength and skill. Even better than saving your $$$ get your friend and family to chip in and buy one for you for your birthday.

Whatever you do make sure you get a quality pad, sprained ankles and fractured heels aren't work the saved $$$. I've had them both and would recommend against it.

For more info on bouldering pads check out the Rock and Ice crash pad article and review.

Take care of yourself when you're young or you'll be popping ibuprofin like candy when you're older

[ This Message was edited by: boretribe on 2002-04-24 08:01 ]

killclimbz

Apr 24, 2002, 3:09 PM
Post #12 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go cheap to save the $$$. I would say buy the biggest thickest pad you can afford. especially if you are coming out to Colorado. Lots of uneven landings out here. Check out www.flashed.com. They make some fairly large pads and you get the Canadien vs American dollar thing. Good prices for good pads.

qacwac

Apr 24, 2002, 3:18 PM
Post #13 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Megaspot solo and stunt are the biggest I've seen for the price. That's what I'm thinking about getting but I don't know about their quality yet.

solo 37.5x54x4 $167.00 free shipping
stunt 54x72x4 $225.00 free shipping

[ This Message was edited by: qacwac on 2002-04-24 08:19 ]

findaway

Apr 24, 2002, 3:57 PM
Post #14 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boretribe,

I don't know where you got the description but I know for a fact that the MEC pad has one inch of closed cell foam on top of two inches of open cell foam, which seems to be the standard for bouldering pads. Like I said I have this pad and it works great.

The pad is cheap but it is of good quality.
Also, if anyone is thinking about building a pad check out the MEC highball sheet which costs $3.00 Canadian. Haven't used one but I think it would be great to have on top of any foam to help disperse impact force.

Don't mean to plug MEC, I just have a lot of experience with them and have yet to have a problem.

Paul

boretribe

Apr 24, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #15 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

findaway,

I got the description from the link that beyond_gravity provided above:Quote:What do you guys think of THIS PAD ??? I didn't mean to slam the MEC El-Zee crash pad it's just that they only mention having 'appropriately dense open-cell foam' in the product description. I figured that they would have stated closed-cell foam if this pad had it.

Having never seen this pad I would definitely defer to someone who uses it. I still stand by my opinion, however, that having closed-cell foam in addition to open-cell foam is essential in a crash pad. I guess that they need to improve their product description so people like me won't jump the gun.

bigwalling

Apr 24, 2002, 5:02 PM
Post #16 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the fish pad. It looks to be pretty nice. And russ is got lots of other great gear for ya.

findaway

Apr 24, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #17 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I checked put the description and it is pretty misleading. And you are right about pads that are made completely out of open cell foam, somebody is selling factory defects on e-bay that are made of three inches of open cell foam. In my opinion these pads are garbage for anything higher than a foot so everyone should watch out for this "too good to be true deal". Chaulk up the mistake to a crappy description.

By the way boretribe, nice banner, I'll be telling a friend of mine to get it on his site. Can't think of a better policy when it comes to chipping.

sean

May 1, 2002, 4:23 AM
Post #18 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are still looking for a bouldering pad, maybe this is the answer. If anyone is interested...

Win a Metolius Crash Pad

________
Sean Hudson
Camp4.com

treyr

May 1, 2002, 11:21 AM
Post #19 of 19 (8148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen them as low as 80 on ebay

Trob

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook